Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Year's TEAM

Default Next Year's TEAM

Might as well start a thread discussing next years TEAM instead of adding to old threads from this season....IMO guard play again will dictate the success of the ladies in the 16-17 season....What do you think?

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

guard play is always the key...LS will be a huge upside....the addition of Mac and Chandler, whatever they play, because I read that Chandler can actually also play point, will be an upside.....I believe Zhane is a pure shooter and is a good defender and I want to see more of her....Emma S has improved in many ways but where she'll fit in I don't know...

Elle....can you imagine a Chandler/Mac/Elle trio?...if Mac and Chandler are as good as we've heard...wow...

I don't know what Kacie will do....and I don't know how soon Jamie will see action...

I just want the best players to play....period...freshmen..transfer..soph/junior/senior......the best players whom ever that may be, not just the flavor or favorite of the month...

I really think Grace has to be in the mix....we need a 2nd big post to give Emma W a rest....I just hope she isn't redshirted....usually those Aussies are ready to play from the get go....

exciting to think about....

Next Year...
    A lot of talent and a lot of options. I going to put the pressure on the coaching staff next year. The talent they have is very good, as is the depth. I like what Few did this year in changing up the starting lineup due to how players were doing and who they were playing. Lisa has 10+ players that can contribute at any given time. It is up to her and her staff to make it work. Coaches need to be at their best both in handling their players and the game.
    The talent on the team needs to be brought together from top to bottom. They need to learn shut down defense, be ready for every game (not 75%), work on their shooting and team offense, but most of all, insure that they play for themselves, their teammates, and family.
    I know that it is a tough order, but winning isn't easy... that means the team and coaches need to bring it next year. No excuses... that's for loosers.
    Love the Lady Zags... will be there cheering them on.
    Go Zags!!!

Is it too soon to talk about the NIT ?

yep....the coaches have to come thru this year....give them a pass this present year because of the lopsided class sizes....4 seniors and 4 freshmen with two in between...and the injuries to very key players....but next year it will be on them....because we know the talent that is there....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Is it too soon to talk about the NIT ?

I'm a silly idealist and optimist but I see the final four within the next 3 yrs....I really do....final four as in NCAA.....if we hadn't choked against Tenn, we would have beat Maryland last year....woulda, coulda, and shoulda....powerful but empty words I know...

Chandler Smith is my starting point guard until she proves she can't handle it....easy decision after watching the returning guards who played this season...she is a superior player, bigger, faster, more physical...most here think Stockton is the answer....unless her game has gone to pieces I think it is Smith....with Stockton behind her....Smith, Elle, Emma W, Jill and Mac....that's my staring five...with Zhane, Zykera, Kudron and Stockton off the bench...I'd only play 9 deep maybe 10 depending on the new Aussie lass as the players can play multiple positions and that specific 9 is very talented...

Just my opinion

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

Watched the Ducks beat Utah, if only their guard would have stuck with the Zags this season and beyond, wow what a team we would have/had.
    Wish Utah would have shot against us like they did against Oregon, shows that our defense wasn't great, especially against their outside shooters.
    I see that we did way better against their big than the Ducks did.
    Really liked the tempo that we played the last two games, it opened up driving lanes and more players were able to attack the basket. Great scoring by home team would really help when opponents are hot, great defense is nice but I don't mind winning games when both teams score a lot of points. This year there were times we had a lead and only needed to match basket for basket to win the game, not enough fire power. Thinking that Elle and mac will help that a bunch, throw in a healthy Emma W. we should be able to outscore most teams.
    Haven't made my mind up about Laura S. she would like to be a scoring guard but I think we need a playmaker more that anything. If we can come up with good point play maybe Laura would be more effective as a 2
    We need players who can play passing lanes ( like Elle) I see Jill lead the team in steals and she's slow, where were others who seem to have great speed.

Jill slow?...she's as fast as any big...I predict next year she'll not only lead the team in points, but also rebounds, and will have many many double doubles....I have watched every single game this year....honestly don't know understand the hate around here.....she does everything, every thing well...every single team in the WCC plus many others like Oregone would loved to have taken her, as KG most certainly did try to do...fact...thankfully, most of the fans love her and her game even if the posters don't....

LS is a playmaker..I'm sure she likes to score but mostly she wants to win....

GS was not a playmaker.....

next season, we are going to see a whole different team....we'll be faster, shoot more, be more aggressive on defense....however, this year I think we had pretty good defense overall.....Utah sunk a lot of long shots...eventually, you live by the 3 and you die by it....if you score 77 points usually you win....

Have not seen ZaGranny. Can anyone give us any insight to this great poster. I hope things are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    Jill slow?...she's as fast as any big...I predict next year she'll not only lead the team in points, but also rebounds, and will have many many double doubles....I have watched every single game this year....honestly don't know understand the hate around here.....she does everything, every thing well...every single team in the WCC plus many others like Oregone would loved to have taken her, as KG most certainly did try to do...fact...thankfully, most of the fans love her and her game even if the posters don't....

LS is a playmaker..I'm sure she likes to score but mostly she wants to win....

GS was not a playmaker.....

next season, we are going to see a whole different team....we'll be faster, shoot more, be more aggressive on defense....however, this year I think we had pretty good defense overall.....Utah sunk a lot of long shots...eventually, you live by the 3 and you die by it....if you score 77 points usually you win....
    Stockton wants to be a play maker.....have my doubts...size and speed...Sloot she ain't...not even close...I have a hard time with 5'7" players even in the woman's game...can't deliver to the post....saw Stockton miss many a pass this season that opened and she couldn't deliver the ball....guard play was abysmal....not into kumbaya basketball and everyone gets a ribbon for participating....Las Zagas used to be feared....not any longer....the mystique is gone and WCC teams feasted on what was left....tough year....as someone wrote above...not a make or break year for Lisa & staff but could be pretty darn close cause if they don't win with the talent that will be available next season....when will they?

Good thing is between now and the beginning of next season it will sort itself out on the floor and in practice....time to reclaim the throne as the best women's program in the WCC...

Without a doubt Jill Barta is the most important player in the program at this moment...rare talent and drive to win....will fuel Las Zagas for the next 3 years...Good on you Jill..

just my opinion..

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

Just because I can't end the year without disagreeing with Sylean, here are my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    Jill slow?...she's as fast as any big.Yes slow. As in Shelby slow. Kiara and Chelsea are faster and "Z" is much faster...I predict next year she'll not only lead the team in points, but also rebounds, and will have many many double doubles.It would surprise me if Jill leads the team in either rebounding or points. If Emma W. is healthy, I think she will lead in both categories, certainly in rebounds....I have watched every single game this year....honestly don't know understand the hate around here..I don't get the "hate" comment. If we think somebody needs work it does not mean we don't like the person and certainly don't hate the person. Jill is not quick footed and is routinely beat off the dribble. She needs work defensively. Not hate, an honest evaluation. Has nothing to do with her ability to score or rebound....she does everything, every thing well...every single team in the WCC plus many others like Oregone would loved to have taken her, as KG most certainly did try to do...fact...thankfully, most of the fans love her and her game even if the posters don't....

LS is a playmaker..I'm sure she likes to score but mostly she wants to win. In basketball terms, we have no freshman on the team right now. They have weeks of practice before the season, a pre-season game, 30 or so regular season games, a WCC tournament game and two NIT games. There are no more "freshman" mistakes. LS needs to slow down a touch and quit making silly turnovers. Ie she "tackled the Utah player because she was out of position initially and leaped directly at them instead of at the side resulting in a couple of foul shots. Throwing the ball into the 3rd row. Kiara and her twice in a row throwing the ball away on a simply inbounds pass. These are mistakes that can't happen and are primarily caused by trying to "rush" or move too fast. ...

GS was not a playmaker..Get your last digs in because she has played her last game for GU. For the vast majority of the season she simply outplayed LS and did not make near as many silly "freshman" mistakes. All she did was lead us to an Elite Eight in her first year at GU with no backcourt experience for assistance. Talk about the "hate". ...

next season, we are going to see a whole different team..Agreed, if for no other reason than having Emma W and maybe Elle back. ..we'll be faster, Yesshoot more, but will we make any more? Taking shots was not our problem. Making the shots was our problem in most of our loses. be more aggressive on defense...Will we play defense for 40 minutes or for only 20-30 minutes like many times this year..however, this year I think we had pretty good defense overall.At times yes....Utah sunk a lot of long shots..Easy to make a high percentage when you get uncontested lay-ups and wide open 3's.eventually, you live by the 3 and you die by it....if you score 77 points usually you win..In the women's game, unless you are playing UConn you most certainly should win...
    For next year, everybody is assuming Elle will be back so we will go with that assumption. I have never seen Chandler play in high school and I do not know what position she played at Nebraska. I am going to assume she will not play point even though she maybe more than capable.

I think LS will play point. Back it down 3-5% and reduce your errors and the spot is yours. She is a natural born leader and playmaker that is just a touch too out of control at times. Emma W. will play the #5 and bring more aggressiveness and play making ability inside. She could help Jill greatly with her inside moves.

The #2-4 spots are tough because you have so many interchangeable pieces. I assume you put Jill at the #4 spot but she could just as easily play the #3. Given her build, she probably would make a better #3 but then what do you do with Elle? Elle assuming she gets her scholarship would likely play the #3 but she could also play the #2 & #4. I would guess Mak would play the #2 but if she is not a great ball handler, Chandler or Emma S. would start as the #2 and Mak would play the #3 probably as a back-up to Elle.

The good news is that it looks like we are pretty well stocked in every position except center where our only real back-up is a freshman. We have the luxury of going tall, going fast, going offensive or going defensive depending on the line-up. Playing time likely be tougher to come by next year than this year. The team played so disjointedly at times, the players need more time on the court together which will further impact the available playing time.

Root for the men tomorrow and hopefully the next week and a half.

Is in November yet?

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Stockton wants to be a play maker.....have my doubts...size and speed...Sloot she ain't...not even close...I have a hard time with 5'7" players even in the woman's game...can't deliver to the post....saw Stockton miss many a pass this season that opened and she couldn't deliver the ball....guard play was abysmal....not into kumbaya basketball and everyone gets a ribbon for participating....Las Zagas used to be feared....not any longer....the mystique is gone and WCC teams feasted on what was left....tough year....as someone wrote above...not a make or break year for Lisa & staff but could be pretty darn close cause if they don't win with the talent that will be available next season....when will they?

Good thing is between now and the beginning of next season it will sort itself out on the floor and in practice....time to reclaim the throne as the best women's program in the WCC...

Without a doubt Jill Barta is the most important player in the program at this moment...rare talent and drive to win....will fuel Las Zagas for the next 3 years...Good on you Jill..

just my opinion..

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

To be fair, Sloot ran the run and gun and she had a whole lot more speed and help on her team than LS did this year. You do realize that Sloot was only 5'-8 right? I think LS pressed too hard at times and made many silly mistakes, but I think she has the ability to "lead" this team as well or better than Sloot even if she does not score or assist as well as Sloot did. I would be happy if she simply cut down on the mistakes, which I think she will. With faster, more offensive minded players around her I think she will blossom next year. We agree to disagree about the height on the point guard spot.

Next November, right here and we shall see.

I don't think the coaches are on the hot seat (yet) but they better have a much better team next year or the room will begin to get much hotter. There is too much talent on next year's squad to waste on a 3rd or worse place finish in the WCC. We are Zags. We expect to compete for championships.

Jill is an extremely valuable player on the team and was the best player on the team this year. I might contend that the most valuable player next year would be Emma W. If she is gone we lose height, a defensive machine and an offensive weapon. We do not have a replacement for her. Kiara and "Z" are too short. Jill B. has the height but not the body mass to play the #5, She just gets beat up inside. The only replacement we have for Emma's height is an incoming freshman.

This year, in the vast majority of games, our only inside game was Jill. The opponents simply double teamed her and made the rest of the GU squad beat them. Which did not happen very often. The good news is that next year, if the pieces fit together as most of us expect, offensively it won't be Jill versus the other team. We will have a number of very viable options that will reduce the opponents ability to double-team her and Emma W.

Have a great summer BigBlahla.

ZagDad

I think that the women's game will follow the mens in that the guards will need to be very quick and fast. The game seems to be going to the drive with options to pass. I think three quick guards that can shoot 3's and drive with two posts will play well. Having two posts that can shoot 3's would help open the lanes. We have the players to do that with.
    Last year our bench out scored the opponents pretty much all year... why, because they were better. I can see that happening next year also.
    I still go back to last years defense.... looking at history, we were not there. Next year it will need to be back... and like ZagDad said, for the whole game.

I think as to players who will start... lots of options and I hope the players understand that if you want to be on the court, you better bring your "A" game.
    For me, LS at 1 with CS and Jessie
    Mac at 2 with Zhane and Emma
    Elle at 3 with CS and Emma
    JB at 4 with KK
    EW at 5 with ZR (plays much taller than she is)
    With EW having a year off, we may see JB at the 5 and KK starting at the 4. (Again, two posts)

Something to chew on....
    Go Zags !!

I would consider red shirting the Aussie and Kasie ( a year to work on her shot )

Count me among those who don't mind smallish PG as long as they are quick. Look at UConn's PG Jefferson. It's pretty much impossible to keep her from driving whenever she wants to, she's just too fast. I'm been quite impressed with how many under 6 foot PG have been having a big impact in the men's Tourney as well. Ever since Magic Johnson everybody has wanted a big PG, but players like that are the exception, not the rule. And as mentioned above Sloot was amazing for GU. I'd take another player like that any day, regardless of her size.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    Have not seen ZaGranny. Can anyone give us any insight to this great poster. I hope things are okay.
    ZaGranny here. I am improving everyday. I had my second injection (steroids for lumbar radiculitis sp?) yesterday and I feel much better today. My legs feel much stronger. This may or may not last long, and I am do ing everything I can while I feel better.

I can not sit for a long time and type, which is why I have been missing in action. I am sitting a little more each day.

We made it to the Lady Zags' last game and and really enjoyed it.

ZaGranny
    Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Welcome back ZaGranny :

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

We have missed you.

Zagdad

SkipZag:

Just for giggles, what do you think of having a rotation with Emma at the 5, KK or Z at the #4 and Jill B at the #3. Obviously this is to give Elle a break but moves Jill out of the middle and puts her on the wing were she can shoot the jumper or take it to the hoop?

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGranny View Post
    ZaGranny here. I am improving everyday. I had my second injection (steroids for lumbar radiculitis sp?) yesterday and I feel much better today. My legs feel much stronger. This may or may not last long, and I am do ing everything I can while I feel better.

I can not sit for a long time and type, which is why I have been missing in action. I am sitting a little more each day.

We made it to the Lady Zags' last game and and really enjoyed it.

ZaGranny

Awesome.... your getting back to it! Missed your photos and reports. Take care.

If we didn't have the guards, I would sure think about it ZagDad... would be worth looking at.
    I compare her to Wiltcher(spelling?) though, a post that can step out and give you that 3 that draws out their big.
    The good teams have a lot of speed and quickness that you have to match. I would be concerned that a driving wing with a step back shot might get her.
    It's all in the match ups and with the talent we show at this time, used right, I would love to see us on the offense making the other team make the tough decisions.
    There are times, I would like to see ZR and KK in at the same time... both are quick and tough... work for the offensive rebounds and put backs.
    The key next year to me, is getting the bigs and guards working together to get the pass to the bigs when they are in position to score. CV and HB worked really well together. That is why Heather was such a good scorer and Sloot had so many assists. Team work...

Go Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    If we didn't have the guards, I would sure think about it ZagDad... would be worth looking at.
    I compare her to Wiltcher(spelling?) though, a post that can step out and give you that 3 that draws out their big.
    The good teams have a lot of speed and quickness that you have to match. I would be concerned that a driving wing with a step back shot might get her.
    It's all in the match ups and with the talent we show at this time, used right, I would love to see us on the offense making the other team make the tough decisions.
    There are times, I would like to see ZR and KK in at the same time... both are quick and tough... work for the offensive rebounds and put backs.
    The key next year to me, is getting the bigs and guards working together to get the pass to the bigs when they are in position to score. CV and HB worked really well together. That is why Heather was such a good scorer and Sloot had so many assists. Team work...

Go Zags.
    I was thinking offessively and not defensively. You are right, that in many if not most situations JB would be in trouble trying to guard a quick wing.

That being said, we could have JB play the #3 on offense with say ZR or KK playing the #4 and on defense we rotate so that JB plays the #4 and ZR or KK plays the #3. This gives us the benefits of a big wing on offense and a quick wing with some size and athletic ability on defense.

The possibilities we have next year.

ZagDad

I saw her in Vegas....getting around was hard and IIRC she was using a wheelchair....when I asked about how long her PT was going to go on, she kind of indicated..."forever" with a smile....

For the record, bando and Plum are not that big.....LS will do fine...she'd done fine...she's had a very impressive first year....

I don't think LS can ever be a Sloot....I've said that many weeks ago...not fast enough...not as agile...however, she has a very high BB IQ...she's developing a short jumper and she hits a good number of her FT's....and, most of all, she is very passionate.......She will develop her own style and make her mark in her own way...

Emma W is a more offensive minded and skilled then Shelby...if we get the inside outside going between her and Jill, it'll be lights out....if our shooters are as good as people say they are.....I honestly do not have first hand knowledge on them......we are going to be in Fat city...whoohoo......

I do think we need Grace our new big gal to be ready to play.....I don't think we can afford to red shirt her......we need another big ready to relieve Emma.....isn't it funny that when Sloot played Kayla was really the tallest player at 6'2......Steph Golden was a little taller but for some reason her playing time shrunk thru the years....

you people keep trying to make me think less of "my" jill but LOL you can't do it....I'm very high on her ability and I am seriously saying if the coaches do what they are supposed to do we should have a great NCAA team....

Chandler...Mac...Elle...Zhane..Zykera ( how can you NOT play this girl?)...I'm giddy just to think about it...

getting back to "short" pg's....the pg can be short but you can't also have shorter shooting guards....so when we get Chandler and Mac and Elle in, it'll balance out nicely...\\

Hope our guys can keep it up tonite....

How long do we have Mac for? It must have been frustrating for her sitting on the bench all year and half of last year.