Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cuse Fan Here

Quote Originally Posted by dewitt71 View Post
    No offense, but other than playing Pitt in the OOC (interesting game while it lasted), why would you expect Cuse fans to pay much attention to a Zag team that is not in the top 25?
    Maybe because they're currently 17 on kenpom (Cuse is 28), and have climbed about 20 spots there in the last few weeks. And since kp is cumulative season based, that means that they've been playing at a top 10 level the last 3 weeks. And maybe because the gambling public, those with a vested interest other than emotion, think the Zags are about 5 points better.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    JMHO... but this isn't a run... this is what this team has been building towards all season.
    Agree. Rookies are now veterans. Veteran who missed most of 2 yrs w/ transfer/injury is now playing like a star. It's across the board improvement, not a hot streak.

No offense, but other than playing Pitt in the OOC (interesting game while it lasted), why would you expect Cuse fans to pay much attention to a Zag team that is not in the top 25?
    I would hope that fans of a BIG5 Conference program would be interested in those most comprehensive, accurate representation of performance possible. Regardless of perception, KenPom, BPI and Sagarin give a great idea of why Gonzaga deserves respect with regard to who they've played and how they have performed overall.

I look forward to the days when we are passed the "soft science" of sports arguments.

I'm not clairvoyant enough to know who will win. I wouldn't be surprised to see it anywhere from an easy zag win to an easy Cuse win. However, if Trevor Cooney goes White Hot, you guys are in big trouble. Should be a great game.
    both teams have kept games close all year...i would expect no different in this one. i think the game might come down to long-range shooting: whether or not the zag guards can hit their 3's against the vaunted 2-3 zone and whether or not the nba-range 3's that some syracuse guys like to take are going down.

another key for the zags will be turnovers...keep it around 10 and i think the zags will have a decent shot at breaking 70 points and winning.

This team wasn't weak any time this season. The emergance and maturity hs finally come to fruition in the last 10 games. Guards doing what they couldn't back then are key. ALL of them are doing very well. Emac, Josh, and Dranginis all are mtured now. with their advancement, the 2 bigs are performing much better. WIltjer gets doubled, Domas dominates. If Domas is doubled, Wiljer puts up major points.
    Being abole to trust the guards has made all the different in spacing, rebounding and scoring.
    Underlying the offense which continues to score very well, is the defense. Fews done a very nice job which defensive schemes. We may not win this game but it'll be kept close till the end. ME? I'm picking the Zags by 5-10 pts I see no reason not to if the defense continues to be this good. Contrariwise, I see no reason why the defense should collapse. D travels well. Defense is not luck. It's planned. Ask Utah and Seton Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by uZiGiZaG View Post
    No offense, but I find it funny that most Cuse fans wrote this team off by January, but if you listen to them now .. Well LOL!
    Most Cuse fans had still written the team off even on Selection Sunday lol. Like I mentioned in one of the other threads, I think the Madness has gotten to a lot of people.

Not sure how much of Syracuse you guys have seen this year, but basically, we're going to take a ton of 3's that are extremely deep and contested and it (along with rebounding) will either win or lose the game for us. Our reliance on these ridiculous shots is the most explainable reason for our inconsistency this year. We've shot nearly 40% from 3 in our wins and nearly 30% from in our losses. The other big decider is rebounding; on average, we win when we out-rebound the opponent and lose when we don't. We're very vulnerable on the glass, especially when Lydon is in the game. We just kinda hope that when he's in the game, his offensive skill is enough to offset the rebounding difference.

I can easily see Syracuse coming back down to earth, not shooting the ball well, and getting blown out. As a Cuse fan, I'm just hoping that our shooters stay hot and Roberson stays engaged on the glass. This Syracuse team is infuriating to watch when they're not making their 3's; this is the first time in awhile where we've had a team that lives and dies by the 3 ball. Usually, it's our opponents that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by uZiGiZaG View Post
    No offense, but I find it funny that most Cuse fans wrote this team off by January, but if you listen to them now .. Well LOL!
    Oh rest assured, the VAST majority of Cuse fans around here know this isn't a typical Cuse team. We all thought we were out of the tx when we lost our final regular season game. We were sure we were out when we lost a nail biter to PITT in the ACC tx. When we made the NCAA's we were more surprised then anyone! We would have been content with a play in game, but a 10 seed? Really?

We all feel pretty good about things because we're playing with house money, that's all. Each win is just icing on the cake. We know as well as anyone that if we don't shoot 45% or better we don't win. We're not good enough this year to take anyone lightly, much less your Zags!

Considering what the Zags have done over the last decade, you're no longer considered a mid major team by east coast bb standards. You're considered a contender playing in a mid major conference. Big difference. But because we're all asleep on the east coast when you guys tip off your games, we don't get to watch the Zags. No one takes you lightly though.

My opinion at least...

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Do I detect the Zags perimeter players being overlooked by the OP? That seems to keep happening. It might be purely coincidental, but it seems like they've outplayed their counterparts in both games in the Tourney so far.
    Outplayed? More like walked all over them.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

The Zag story this year has been an amazing odyssey, one for every team that struggles early to pay attention to. Two unproven freshmen guards that couldn't seem to settle down, a gifted transfer guard that was lost in our system and then suddenly the rock of the team goes out for the season with a major back injury. A coaching staff that has to somehow rebuild this ragtag group of rookies (Zag rookies that is) into a cohesive group. Building that chemistry took time and it finally happened. This team trusts each other, know each other and like / love each other now. There is the story in a nutshell.
    This team has gelled into a well oiled machine and the sky is the limit at this point. A FF would not shock many of us at this point. I have so much respect for Few on managing the challenges this year.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

it's important for every guy to play well, but against syracuse i think the zags really need a good game out of wiltjer...there's definitely no way the zags can overcome another smu performance...realistically, probably needs to play better than he did against seton hall as well, unless gbinije decides to replicate whitehead's performance vs. zags.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Just want to point out... Zags... #5 in the nation in 3pt D... Cuse... #10.

Rebounding Margin per game Zags #20... Cuse... not ranked in the top 50.

Defensive Rebounds per game... Zags #5 in the nation... Cuse... not ranked in the top 50.

FG% Defense... Zags #26 in the nation... Cuse #44

Don't sleep on GU's Defense. Ask Utah and Seton Hall.

Not saying Zags will win... but Zags defense might just be a smidge better than Syracuse's

BUT THEY PLAYED BETTER COMPETITION. MTSU IS JUST SOOOOO GOOD.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

We wouldn't. We just wouldn't expect them to come around and give us a lesson on our team when they know nothing about us.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

You are spot on. I think us Cuse fans expect (hope) that your backcourt's transformation is not permanent. Teams go on runs, but many regress to their mean.
    We beat a 3 seed and a 6 seed, Cuse beat a 7 and a 15- yet you act like Gonzaga is the lucky, fluke team. That's ridiculous.

Our backcourt players needed experience and now they have it. Why would your fans expect them to revert back to where they were 2 months ago? Wishful thinking at best...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    BUT THEY PLAYED BETTER COMPETITION. MTSU IS JUST SOOOOO GOOD.
    Well... Duke, Virginia, Miami, North Carolina, Pitt and Notre Dame all in conference aren't bad. Wisconsin, Texas A&M and UConn aren't too shabby either...
    ~ The rare logical, polite, Syracuse fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Cusefan View Post
    Well... Duke, Virginia, Miami, North Carolina, Pitt and Notre Dame all in conference aren't bad. Wisconsin, Texas A&M and UConn aren't too shabby either...
    Good teams but LOL, Cuse was 4-8 against all those teams!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    Our backcourt players needed experience and now they have it. Why would your fans expect them to revert back to where they were 2 months ago? Wishful thinking at best...
    agree that zags have improved quite a bit, but any zag fan thinking that the shooting display from the utah game is the new baseline is likely to be wrong...

a good question to ponder: think the zags can beat syracuse if they replicate the seton hall game offensive numbers?

(42.9%/35.3%/66.7%) imo, maybe in a nail-biter...but definitely not if it also came with the 20 turnovers zags committed vs. shu

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Good teams but LOL, Cuse was 4-8 against all those teams!!!
    And those four wins are the only reason we made the tournament! Oddly, I think our loss at North Carolina may have been our best game all season. They can be scary good. Same with Kansas and Virginia.
    ~ The rare logical, polite, Syracuse fan...

And those four wins are the only reason we made the tournament! Oddly, I think our loss at North Carolina may have been our best game all season. They can be scary good. Same with Kansas and Virginia.
    agree with the unc game (watched it)...proof that cuse can handle a dominant frontcourt. like any other game, will depend on which team shows up...for both sides.

Not that I should point this out but Gonzaga played Pitt, UConn, and Texas A&M as well. We should have beat Texas A&M but that was early in the year when the young guys were still learning. We played Pitt to a draw, on a neutral court, whereas Cuse lost to them 3 times. We beat UConn as well and frankly should have beat Arizona even though that game happened right after Karno got hurt. My point is, we didn't just play garbage teams...it just took time for the backcourt to come together and finish games is all that happened. There was literally one game all year that we didn't lead with five minutes left in the game.

Gotta love the cuse fans--- lots of bulletin board material.

"You can't even say I'm taking Gonza... whatever lightly. They don't even rate lightly. I've never heard of them and never thought of them. Heck, I didn't even know the state of Washington has an Eastern side, let alone that there's a school there. They beat Utah. Great. I don't care. Things I've scraped off of my shoe merit more attention and concern. And I don't even mean for me personally. I mean every member of this board cares more about things I scrape off of my shoe than this team. Gonzo is just another team in our way. Someday, they'll look back on the privilege that it was to receive a beat down from us as we marched to glory."
    *Dave85, TheCusian, Cusefan0307 and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

"You can't even say I'm taking Gonza... whatever lightly. They don't even rate lightly. I've never heard of them and never thought of them. Heck, I didn't even know the state of Washington has an Eastern side, let alone that there's a school there. They beat Utah. Great. I don't care. Things I've scraped off of my shoe merit more attention and concern. And I don't even mean for me personally. I mean every member of this board cares more about things I scrape off of my shoe than this team. Gonzo is just another team in our way. Someday, they'll look back on the privilege that it was to receive a beat down from us as we marched to glory." *Dave85, TheCusian, Cusefan0307 and 10 others like this.
    you've got to be kidding if you take that seriously...

maybe it's just me, but the amount of angst on this board over how gonzaga is perceived just reeks of a "mid-major insecurity complex"...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

"You can't even say I'm taking Gonza... whatever lightly. They don't even rate lightly. I've never heard of them and never thought of them. Heck, I didn't even know the state of Washington has an Eastern side, let alone that there's a school there. They beat Utah. Great. I don't care. Things I've scraped off of my shoe merit more attention and concern. And I don't even mean for me personally. I mean every member of this board cares more about things I scrape off of my shoe than this team. Gonzo is just another team in our way. Someday, they'll look back on the privilege that it was to receive a beat down from us as we marched to glory."
    *Dave85, TheCusian, Cusefan0307 and 10 others like this.
    Sounds pretty tongue-in-cheek to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Sounds pretty tongue-in-cheek to me.
    It has to be, right? Otherwise he's bragging about how ignorant he is. Any even casual basketball fan has heard of Gonzaga some time since '99. And basic logic would indicate every state has a western and eastern portion. It's actually kinda funny if it's read as hyperbole taken to the nth degree.

Lol c'mon guys of course it's tongue in cheek