Thread: WOMEN ZAGS DESTROY UC RIVERSIDE 88-58 (AWESOME TEAM EFFORT INSPIRES ALL)

Default WOMEN ZAGS DESTROY UC RIVERSIDE 88-58 (AWESOME TEAM EFFORT INSPIRES ALL)

WOW what a team effort tonight by our LADY ZAGS they came out firing and never looked back, just what the doctor ordered!!!!! Eight ladies shot 50% or better tonight (JILL BARTA, ZHANE TEMPLETON, LAURA STOCKTON, CHELSEA WATERS, GEORGIA STIRTON, ZYKERA RICE, SHELBY CHESLEK, EMMA STACH).

Our Bigs literally POUNDED THE BOARDS AND AMASSED REBOUNDS (JILL BARTA 10, SHELBY CHESLEK 8, KIARA KUDRON 8. So proud how all 3 of our guards also rebounded (STOCKTON, STIRTON, STACH) 10 big rebounds. THATS WHAT WE CALL SCRAPPY GUARD PLAY Whewwww!!!

Fourteen of Seventeen free throws. Good Stuff. We got 4 FAST BREAK points tonight something we can build on.

Ten STEALS tonight thats what I'm talking about!!! Two a piece for SHANIQUA NILLES, CHELSEA WATERS, LAURA STOCKTON.

OUTREBOUNDED UC Riverside 44-23 thats getting to the rock LADY ZAGS (TENACIOUS).

Our Freshman scored 52 points tonight (Our Future is so bright).

LADY ZAGS you epitomized TEAM EFFORT tonight by each and every LADY ZAG TEAMMATE bringing 100% effort tonight. ZAGS FANS SALUTE YOU.

Update FRIDAY 18 March tickets for sale until 5:00 pm today for (LADY ZAGS) MONDAY GAME, if you want to get them before the weekend at the ZAGS ticket office. No lines but people coming in at a pretty good clip ticket office says. Looking for a great turnout due to no conflict with ZAGS Mens game this time.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-18-2016 at 01:22 PM.

HOW did they loose ANY games this year when they play like that?

did you notice that Zhane played 16min and scored 16 points?...and Zykera played 6min and scored 6?

If I see one more Barta behind the back pass it will be too many. I hope the coaches tell her it is ok to shoot a layup instead of that darn scoop that never goes in. I have said all along we don't have that "one" player, this team has to play as a team to win. And that they sure did tonight. I hope the bump on Shaq's head heals fast and am very glad it isn't anything serious.

she should keep her scoop but use it only in certain situations.. depending on on her position and the defense it allows her to drive to the basket and if it doesn't go in, she can draw fouls...
    honestly, 20 points and 10 rebounds and that's all you can say..???....she can hit lay ins, threes, and makes her FT's...and rebound...she had a block....

and btw, after rewatching the game, the announcer said that it was the first time he had ever seen Jill do the behind the back pass...the one and only time...and he watches every single game...the pass itself was not bad at all.....
    Last edited by sylean; 03-18-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    HOW did they loose ANY games this year when they play like that?

did you notice that Zhane played 16min and scored 16 points?...and Zykera played 6min and scored 6?
    First and foremost, Get Well Shaq. You are in our prayers. Hope to see you on the court on Monday.

It really is not very hard to understand. When the ball goes through the hoop, this team plays very well and everything is in sync. It has been that way all year. It is when the ball is not dropping that this team has problems. We shot 56.1% overall for the game (we averaged just over 40% for the year) and we shot 45.5% from 3-pt range (we average around 30% for the year). Better shooting percentages lead to more points and it is hard to lose when you score 88 points.

While you can point to individual players, the truth is last night the balls went in the hoop at a very high clip. Unfortunately for most of the year these same players were shooting very average. I am glad Zhane went 5-7 and Emma S went 2-3, but this is one game and one game does not make a trend. Do it again Monday, then maybe I will crow a little.

I do like "Z" and I think has earned more minutes. She can be the first player down the court (speed), she can rebound with the best, she puts the ball right back up without thinking about it and she will take the open 8' shot when left open. Typically our bigs (Jill excluded) pass out of these open opportunities. I think she has earned more playing time, especially against the more physical teams.

What I am most proud of is the growth of the team yesterday. We know what this team is "capable" of. They have shown glimpses of it during the year. The problem is that they never put 4 quarters together in a game. Yesterday they did. When the team got the lead, they did not let up on the accelerator or go into "run-the-clock" mode which has cost them numerous games over the last couple of years. They kept playing their game for all 40 minutes.

The girls were finally looking to run no matter who was at point. The first two fast break chances resulted in a steal and a dropped pass from a big, but at least they were looking for the fast break opportunity.

I am going to disagree with Zagarific. I liked the attempted behind the back pass. Jill had dribbled the ball down the court and drew the two (2) defenders to her leaving a teammate wide open for a lay-up. Jill had to decide if she puts the ball up, the shot could get blocked, the ball could get stolen or she could have been fouled leaving her to make the free throws. If a teammate is wide open for a lay-up take the guaranteed 2. The pass was not the best and her teammate was not looking for the ball, so the end result was not as desired, but she knew where her teammate was and was looking for her. This shows good court awareness and with more playing time together, that pass is made resulting in a lay-up.

Laura S. had a similar opportunity and she took the ball to the hoop and was fouled. She had two teammates 2 steps behind her with nobody guarding them. She could have dropped the ball off resulting in an easy lay-up but she chose to take-it to the hoop. She made the two free-throws so it did not cost us any points. She did not even see the two zags that were running right behind her.

I also liked that all of the guards; Georgia, Laura, Emma, Zhane, Shaq, etc. took turns penetrating the key. There were only 3-4 times that I can remember where the shot clock wound down and forced us to take a shot. The girls in general (except for Shaq) seemed willing to take the open shot and not keep passing the ball. Taking open shots instead of contested shots leads to better shooting percentages and more points. We need much more of this.

Finally, a shout out to Laura and Chelsea for that full court last second 3. Both players on the same page and had awareness of the time remaining. Great play.

Let's hope the team puts together another game like last night on Monday. If so, it would likely result in a trip to the sweet 16 to face either Oregon or Santa Clara. A chance to beat our old coach & his new team or a chance to repay our loss in the conference tournament. We don't get these opportunities very often.

Let's get them ladies,

ZagDad

Anybody else notice that Zhane was were a different number yesterday. She has worn #10 all year and she wore #3 last night?

Only one major complaint about last night. 18 turnovers is still way too many and many of them self-imposed. I don't mind the effort turnovers like the fast break chances but Laura S. and Kiara absolutely have to get the inbound pass right. Throwing it away once is bad enough but twice is a row?

ZagDad

I didn't notice the number change...hmmmm....yes, we had a lot of turnovers....the only bad about last night.....yes, the pass behind the back was good court awareness, just not executed the best, but if it was successful, the roof would have been off the Kennel....I'll take aggressive play over laid back play any day of the year...

Have been watching the women's NCAA... the Lady Zags should have been in the dance... if they would have played more games like the last two home games. I think that has bothered a number of us all year.... seeing what they were capable of.

Hope Shaq is okay... she took a heck of a shot. Hopefully she is able to join the team on Monday....probably not to play but having her there would be a boost.

It's really great the team has another home game. It's great for the players, school and fans.
    I hope the fans show up for Monday's game. The players would love to play to a full house.

Go Zags !!!!

Another Call-Out:

Thanks to the stand-in student band and cheerleaders.

They were great throughout the game leading cheers and making noise during UC-RIverside's free throws.

Great Job Guys. Your work was appreciated.

Monday we should have the entire GU contingent back. Let's hope the kennel is full and rock'in.

ZagDad