Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver=lack of oxygen, the solution

Default Denver=lack of oxygen, the solution

You see this in football often,Few should bring along a oxygen bottle for the boys to use at time-outs and such,it works and have use them several times over the years, I can't remember seeing this at bb games or is there something that says you can't? just a thought,I know a couple of bigs that would just love it!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by baitcast View Post
    You see this in football often,Few should bring along a oxygen bottle for the boys to use at time-outs and such,it works and have use them several times over the years, I can't remember seeing this at bb games or is there something that says you can't? just a thought,I know a couple of bigs that would just love it!
    Rob
    Seton Hall's Coach, Kevin Willard, was just on the radio stating every player will have their own portable O2 tank...and he was serious!

No way we have oxygen tanks, no way.

The hosts that he was kidding. He wasn't.

Interesting

A couple of Seahawks used these often I wondered why doesn't everybody do the same it works,I even thought about sending a telegram to Few but thought better, probably wouldn't read it anyway.
    GO ZAGS Rob

All I'm thinkin is that we play BYU every year, which is only 2,000 (or so maybe less) feet below Denver. Josh Perkins was from Colorado, and also played In West Virginia.

Ryan Edwards is from Montana. (Even if he can't play its fine)

We will be fine. If anything it's effecting Seton Hall. I'm not concerned one bit. Our guys are tough
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    All I'm thinkin is that we play BYU every year, which is only 2,000 (or so maybe less) feet below Denver. Josh Perkins was from Colorado, and also played In West Virginia.

Ryan Edwards is from Montana. (Even if he can't play its fine)

We will be fine. If anything it's effecting Seton Hall. I'm not concerned one bit. Our guys are tough
    It's not an issue about whether you CAN play at altitude but whether you are USED to playing at altitude. The fact that Perkins and Edwards come from higher elevation home states or that GU has played at BYU this year won't make much difference. Your body needs oxygen, there is less oxygen at elevation... your lungs need to adapt to taking in more air to provide more oxygen to your system. (at least that's how I understand the predicament ... feel free to correct me if I'm off base).

A couple of Seahawks used these often I wondered why doesn't everybody do the same it works,I even thought about sending a telegram to Few but thought better, probably wouldn't read it anyway.
    GO ZAGS Rob
    I don't think it works all that well and whatever impact it has only lasts a minute or two at most (this is what I read, I'm no expert). http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...-mild-exercise

I would suspect that to the extent it does much good, it is offset by convincing yourself you're more tired then normal as you sit there sucking oxygen down like some climber on Everest.

And of course, if you decide to smoke during the game it could explode, so that's an issue with teams that have a short bench.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think technically there isn't literally less oxygen in the air, but because of different atmospheric pressure it's harder for the lungs to get the air and thus the oxygen into the body and the blood stream. So it "seems" like there is less oxygen. Given enough time to acclimate, the body compensates by producing more red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the bloodstream and to various tissues in the body. Or something like that.

Actually your red blood cells change. Hemoglobin changes to accept more O2. Make more red blood cells. It takes a while to adapt and has little to do with where you grew up. But otherwise yeah, pretty much right there.

I think O2 during timeouts is a great idea though. I wonder if there is some psychological effect to one team having it and the other not. Kind of like cold weather football teams that go sleeveless in winter when a warm weather team is there.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think 2 or 3,000 ft above sea level is enough to really make much difference. Provo UT is 4500, that's probably enough to get some effect. Zags have obviously been playing at BYU for a number of years now. According to wikipedia Denver varies from around 5100 to 5700. What part of Montana is Edwards from? Missoula really isn't all that high. Bozeman is nearly a thousand feet higher. And West Virginia? Their mascot might be the Mountaineers, but I have a suspicion most of the state isn't that far above sea level. Morgantown and Wheeling aren't at elevation at all. Anyway I think there is literally zero advantage for the Zags being in Spokane vs. wherever in NJ Seton Hall is located.

Okay, looked it up. Ryan is from Kalispell, elevation 2950. Even lower than Missoula. Don't think that's high enough to matter much, and anyway he's been living in Spokane for the most part for the last 3 years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I think technically there isn't literally less oxygen in the air, but because of different atmospheric pressure it's harder for the lungs to get the air and thus the oxygen into the body and the blood stream. So it "seems" like there is less oxygen. Given enough time to acclimate, the body compensates by producing more red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the bloodstream and to various tissues in the body. Or something like that.
    Given time is the catch,over the years I,ve done some running and had some very heavy work outs and the stuff worked for me as far as tough guys goes take away the stuff and watch them go to their knees........Whats the first thing they do at the hospital when you are down and out? this applies to sea level as well when you are gassed,ask them at the hospital why the hook you up to the stuff.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I think O2 during timeouts is a great idea though. I wonder if there is some psychological effect to one team having it and the other not. Kind of like cold weather football teams that go sleeveless in winter when a warm weather team is there.
    Getting OT, but I remember hearing about Appalachian St. showing up for a playoff game against Montana in Missoula in December one year. Being from fairly high elevation in North Carolina they thought they were used to the cold. Turned out there was a whole 'nother level of cold in Montana in December they were not prepared for.

Any edge you can get on anybody doing anything is still an edge that's just the way it is!
    Rob

Default here's a gimmick…reminds me of something outta Tin Cup or something

Beet juice...it allows the body to operate with less oxygen..Google it. I've used it on bike rides...it works.

Lance Armstrong might have some useful suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    Beet juice...it allows the body to operate with less oxygen..Google it. I've used it on bike rides...it works.
    Cheater
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    It's not a gimmick...but it's not for high elevation either. It's to strenthgen you're diaphragm...it creates resistance to breath in. We used to run in our gas masks in the Army...it does help wind.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Cheater
    It's totally legal...it's food.

It's totally legal...it's food.
    YEAH BUT WHERE'S THE LINE!

Every athlete should only put rice in their body so we have an even playing field
    Bring back the OCC

Just go buy some beet powder and mix it with water...simple. you also feel way less tired afterwards too....recovery. the zags win and they play again 2 days later...it would be perfect. They are studying it for heart failure patients because it increases efficiency.

I live at 150 feet elevation according to the app on my phone. I have gone on business trips to Denver and gone for runs. I see no difference. Man up and f'ing win.
    Bring back the OCC

Just go buy some beet powder and mix it with water...simple. you also feel way less tired afterwards too....recovery. the zags win and they play again 2 days later...it would be perfect. They are studying it for heart failure patients because it increases efficiency.
    Bring back the OCC

Any edge you can get on anybody doing anything is still an edge that's just the way it is!
    Rob
    Wonder why the Wyoming Cowboys aren't recruiting Sherpas to play basketball? At 7000+ feet, Laramie would feel like home to these guys (Tibet/Nepal). Of course, on road games at sea level, they'd be a distinct liability. All the Sherpas I see on Nat Geo specials are on the south side of 5'6".

It's not a gimmick...but it's not for high elevation either. It's to strenthgen you're diaphragm...it creates resistance to breath in. We used to run in our gas masks in the Army...it does help wind.
    I would think strengthening the diaphragm would be beneficial to performing at elevation. If it helps you at lower elevation, why wouldn't it also help you at higher elevation?

Fighters and marathon runners have been training at altitude forever but you don't have to go up to get gassed you can do at sea level just as well that's when oxygen will help to bring you back..........easy way to find out if it works,if your a coach get a couple bottles and let your boys work with the stuff,see for yourself reading about such stuff is fine but personal experience is far better.
    GO ZAGS