• Show
Clear All
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

McClellan's Instagram post

After last night's Championship win.

Thought to share…

"2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me. I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that sh*t, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
    I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life. I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve, and love for all the abundance I have around me.

I took my wildest dreams and I mapped them out.
    My brothers & I made history tonight. BROTHERS.

And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please! This is for the crazy ones!

This is for the marathon runners.

This is for the one's with unwavering faith and extreme persistence!
    This is for all those who believed in me.
    This is for all the love.
    This is for you.
    #laps #thankful #WCCCHAMPS"
  • TacomaZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

What a great story, for both EMac and the University.

This story is what is so valuable about athletics, higher education in general, and Gonzaga in particular.

This young man has righted his ship, thanks for sharing.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

This family of ZAGS brings the best out in everyone
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

This post should be pinned for the forseeable future. Its what makes Gonzaga a special place.

Comment

• LMUZAG
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Very emotional reading that. Amazing story of redemption. Whatever the future holds, Eric you have succeeded.
          Don't call it a comeback....

Comment

• Jstock12
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2014

I have no affiliation with Gonzaga University, and that post just gave me goosebumps. Must be a great place.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

I vote Eric McClellans post for HOF
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                I vote Eric McClellans post for HOF
                +1
                Brought tears to my eyes!

Comment

• 3zagda
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Nov 2009

He was "huuuuuge" last night.
                  What a great story. Hope some of his story comes thru in the HBO series.

Comment

• adoptedzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                    After last night's Championship win.

Thought to share…

"2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me. I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that sh*t, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
                    I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life. I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve, and love for all the abundance I have around me.

I took my wildest dreams and I mapped them out.
                    My brothers & I made history tonight. BROTHERS.

And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please! This is for the crazy ones!

This is for the marathon runners.

This is for the one's with unwavering faith and extreme persistence!
                    This is for all those who believed in me.
                    This is for all the love.
                    This is for you.
                    #laps #thankful #WCCCHAMPS"
                    Link here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuPXUdI6Q2/

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jstock12 View Post
                      I have no affiliation with Gonzaga University, and that post just gave me goosebumps. Must be a great place.
                      It's been a special place for me for nearly 44 years. The experiences, the education, the friends that have stuck with me over the years.

When I'm out and about in North Texas, I'm often wearing a Zag shirt. When someone asks me about Gonzaga, I'll dust off a couple of quick anecdotes (even at my advanced age I can recall at least a dozen). Usually, I'm speaking with someone who went to a large state university, say UT, A&M, UNT, all with student bodies in excess of 30,000.

A response I often hear is "damn, my college experience was nothing like that."

I bumped into GoZags in Tulsa about ten years ago, when we played them in the Bracket Buster game. After our brief conversation, I was approached by several Zag fans from Missouri and Arkansas. They drove for hours to see a team they loved, without having any affiliation to the school. They had no idea where Spokane was, only that it was somewhere in Washington.

My wife accompanied me to my 25th reunion 15 years ago, and it wasn't easy getting her to join me. I persisted, as she needed to know why GU is such a big part of me. After two days of seeing the campus, meeting friends, and hearing one of Fr. Bob Spitzer's speeches, she was sold. Unfortunately, my daughter had no desire to go to GU, because she had been told stories of the rigors of attending a Jesuit university. She had a partial scholarship offer from University of Dallas, which she also turned down. She matriculated at UNT in Denton, and graduated with a business degree.

I'm now working on my 14 YO son, who loves football, and has his sights set on LSU (???). If that fails, then my next best shot is my 5 YO grandson, whose favorite player is Sabonis. Looks like I'm going to have to stay healthy to see that come to fruition.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

I am so happy for him that he is in a good place and his future is bright.
                        Definitely HOF post.

Comment

• vandalzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Icing on the cake is that post. Regardless of wins, this is what makes the program special. Emac joins the list of players with special experiences that go beyond the game.

Comment

• ProjectMKUltra5
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2014

Honestly I'm just as proud of the reaction to Emac by our fans as I am Eric.

Didn't think ya'll had it in you

Comment

• BULLDOG#1
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Aug 2011

beyond basketball. What a great story. GU, Few, et all should be proud.

Comment

Working...
                              X