Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: McClellan's Instagram post

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,811

    Default McClellan's Instagram post

    After last night's Championship win.

    Thought to share…

    "2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me. I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that sh*t, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

    I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
    I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life. I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve, and love for all the abundance I have around me.

    I took my wildest dreams and I mapped them out.
    My brothers & I made history tonight. BROTHERS.

    And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please! This is for the crazy ones!

    This is for the marathon runners.

    This is for the one's with unwavering faith and extreme persistence!
    This is for all those who believed in me.
    This is for all the love.
    This is for you.
    #laps #thankful #WCCCHAMPS"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    What a great story, for both EMac and the University.

    This story is what is so valuable about athletics, higher education in general, and Gonzaga in particular.

    This young man has righted his ship, thanks for sharing.

    Go ZAGS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    This family of ZAGS brings the best out in everyone
    20 Straight Big Dances

    10 Straight Round of 32s

    9 Sweet Sixteens

    3 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,014

    Default

    This post should be pinned for the forseeable future. Its what makes Gonzaga a special place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Very emotional reading that. Amazing story of redemption. Whatever the future holds, Eric you have succeeded.
    Don't call it a comeback....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    713

    Default

    I have no affiliation with Gonzaga University, and that post just gave me goosebumps. Must be a great place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    I vote Eric McClellans post for HOF
    20 Straight Big Dances

    10 Straight Round of 32s

    9 Sweet Sixteens

    3 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I vote Eric McClellans post for HOF
    +1
    Brought tears to my eyes!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    385

    Default

    He was "huuuuuge" last night.
    What a great story. Hope some of his story comes thru in the HBO series.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    After last night's Championship win.

    Thought to share…

    "2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me. I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that sh*t, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

    I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
    I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life. I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve, and love for all the abundance I have around me.

    I took my wildest dreams and I mapped them out.
    My brothers & I made history tonight. BROTHERS.

    And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please! This is for the crazy ones!

    This is for the marathon runners.

    This is for the one's with unwavering faith and extreme persistence!
    This is for all those who believed in me.
    This is for all the love.
    This is for you.
    #laps #thankful #WCCCHAMPS"
    Link here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuPXUdI6Q2/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    I have no affiliation with Gonzaga University, and that post just gave me goosebumps. Must be a great place.
    It's been a special place for me for nearly 44 years. The experiences, the education, the friends that have stuck with me over the years.

    When I'm out and about in North Texas, I'm often wearing a Zag shirt. When someone asks me about Gonzaga, I'll dust off a couple of quick anecdotes (even at my advanced age I can recall at least a dozen). Usually, I'm speaking with someone who went to a large state university, say UT, A&M, UNT, all with student bodies in excess of 30,000.

    A response I often hear is "damn, my college experience was nothing like that."

    I bumped into GoZags in Tulsa about ten years ago, when we played them in the Bracket Buster game. After our brief conversation, I was approached by several Zag fans from Missouri and Arkansas. They drove for hours to see a team they loved, without having any affiliation to the school. They had no idea where Spokane was, only that it was somewhere in Washington.

    My wife accompanied me to my 25th reunion 15 years ago, and it wasn't easy getting her to join me. I persisted, as she needed to know why GU is such a big part of me. After two days of seeing the campus, meeting friends, and hearing one of Fr. Bob Spitzer's speeches, she was sold. Unfortunately, my daughter had no desire to go to GU, because she had been told stories of the rigors of attending a Jesuit university. She had a partial scholarship offer from University of Dallas, which she also turned down. She matriculated at UNT in Denton, and graduated with a business degree.

    I'm now working on my 14 YO son, who loves football, and has his sights set on LSU (???). If that fails, then my next best shot is my 5 YO grandson, whose favorite player is Sabonis. Looks like I'm going to have to stay healthy to see that come to fruition.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Suburb
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    I am so happy for him that he is in a good place and his future is bright.
    Definitely HOF post.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Icing on the cake is that post. Regardless of wins, this is what makes the program special. Emac joins the list of players with special experiences that go beyond the game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Medical Lake
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Honestly I'm just as proud of the reaction to Emac by our fans as I am Eric.

    Didn't think ya'll had it in you

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    850

    Default

    beyond basketball. What a great story. GU, Few, et all should be proud.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    HOF for certain. This story resonates with so many and is a shining example of what can happen through hard work, dedication and commitment. Sometimes you need to put the past behind you and focus on the future and that's what GU, the coaching staff and ultimately what eMac did. Great story.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It's been a special place for me for nearly 44 years. The experiences, the education, the friends that have stuck with me over the years.

    When I'm out and about in North Texas, I'm often wearing a Zag shirt. When someone asks me about Gonzaga, I'll dust off a couple of quick anecdotes (even at my advanced age I can recall at least a dozen). Usually, I'm speaking with someone who went to a large state university, say UT, A&M, UNT, all with student bodies in excess of 30,000.

    A response I often hear is "damn, my college experience was nothing like that."

    I bumped into GoZags in Tulsa about ten years ago, when we played them in the Bracket Buster game. After our brief conversation, I was approached by several Zag fans from Missouri and Arkansas. They drove for hours to see a team they loved, without having any affiliation to the school. They had no idea where Spokane was, only that it was somewhere in Washington.

    My wife accompanied me to my 25th reunion 15 years ago, and it wasn't easy getting her to join me. I persisted, as she needed to know why GU is such a big part of me. After two days of seeing the campus, meeting friends, and hearing one of Fr. Bob Spitzer's speeches, she was sold. Unfortunately, my daughter had no desire to go to GU, because she had been told stories of the rigors of attending a Jesuit university. She had a partial scholarship offer from University of Dallas, which she also turned down. She matriculated at UNT in Denton, and graduated with a business degree.

    I'm now working on my 14 YO son, who loves football, and has his sights set on LSU (???). If that fails, then my next best shot is my 5 YO grandson, whose favorite player is Sabonis. Looks like I'm going to have to stay healthy to see that come to fruition.
    Nice!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Just a great post and a great tribute to Gonzaga and to Coach Few. A pretty great tribute to Eric as well.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    963

    Default

    not everyone with emac's past would have succeeded (let alone flourished) at gonzaga. but anyone with his spirit and character will, regardless of the path that brought them there. clearly coach few and co saw that.

    as with any healthy relationship, both sides have much to be thankful for. much appreciation, respect, and zag love to e-mac. we're proud of the man you are both on and off the court.

    but this is no wrap-up post, because "IT'S NOT OV-ER" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Eric became my wifes favorite when he was redshirting because of the interaction with the coaches kids. They would move his chair, give a high five then pull back leaving him hanging, just always giving him a hard time. You could tell he is one of their favorites.
    Great to see things have worked out so well.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    455

    Default

    I love eMac! He has heart and it shows in his play. We are so lucky to have had him for the time we have


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAG'em View Post
    Eric became my wifes favorite when he was redshirting because of the interaction with the coaches kids. They would move his chair, give a high five then pull back leaving him hanging, just always giving him a hard time. You could tell he is one of their favorites.
    Great to see things have worked out so well.
    Being close to the floor for a few GU games this year during warmups, Emac was always the most lively personality on the floor - teasing all the guys, high-fiving, chest-bumping. Great personality and I'm so happy this has played out the way it did for him - after missing that free throw at SMC to promising to bring back the Championship to the Kennel fans left after Senior night, to calling for the ball and wanting to finish that game last night. Just amazing. (Also cool to see on ESPN today they did a little Trending Now video clip titled "McClellans Promise" that showed him making the promise, then his clutch shots last night and finally with him after the game with tears in his eyes.) It was moving...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Eric is a class act, wish we could keep him for a few more years.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    16,147

    Default

    The photo with that Instagram post is a keeper as well:


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    This post should be pinned for the forseeable future. Its what makes Gonzaga a special place.
    This is why all those mid-majors who say they want to be or plan to be "the next Gonzaga" never will be. You can't be "the next Gonzaga" without a bunch of Zags, and you can't be a Zag without Gonzaga..
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •