Thread: Blanchette Column

Default Blanchette Column

“They were the hunter this whole tournament, not the hunted,” Few said. “It was nice – we haven’t been in that position much.”
    Yeah and they bagged the trophy.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Great column, great typeface.....

Madness Interruptus.....................

Love me some Blanchette, a Spokane gem for decades!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Go ZAGS

Some really nice quotes from Randy Bennett. I loved this quote from Few:

“All of us wanted (the guards) to be great that first game in Okinawa,” Few said. “You’re pressing, you want them to be perfect because each of these games matters and counts.
    But every game doesn't count if your South Carolina, play in the SEC, and can afford to sit at home and play guarantee games to allow your players to build confidence and learn how to win. Gonzaga can't do that. They have to play an inverted schedule every year, regardless of the circumstances. I am not complaining, but I wish people would mention this more often before they dump on Gonzaga's conference affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    But every game doesn't count if your South Carolina, play in the SEC, and can afford to sit at home and play guarantee games to allow your players to build confidence and learn how to win. Gonzaga can't do that. They have to play an inverted schedule every year, regardless of the circumstances. I am not complaining, but I wish people would mention this more often before they dump on Gonzaga's conference affiliation.
    Nice post CDC!! Hadn't heard your term "inverted schedule" before, but it is spot on. It's upside down, back-asswards, however you want to describe - yes, inverted. And just maybe it's one of the reasons we are now celebrating our 18th straight NCAA appearance.

John Blanchette has been a favorite of mine for, what, 40 years? He knows how to capture the moment in his Zag writings ... he's one of us!

And regarding the WCC conference, I'm pulling for St Mary's to get seeded in the tournament. Would be great for both the Zags and Gaels to make some noise in March and build some "street cred" for the WCC.

I also appreciated Randy Bennett's generous comments about the Zag program, especially in the aftermath of a very difficult loss for his team.

This is the quote that jumped out at me

“All of us wanted (the guards) to be great that first game in Okinawa,” Few said. “You’re pressing, you want them to be perfect because each of these games matters and counts. For a while it was hard for them to take coaching – I think they took it personally. I think they grew enough not to take it personally. Everybody’s trying to get to the same place.”
    Remember when other players on the team made a reference to this…….the guards just need to listen to the coaches and trust them…something like that.

This is example of the coaching that Pargo made reference to that struck a cord with Zach Norvell during his recruitment …………..the coaches will be honest with you and make you better.

Another good post, ceo.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Another great Article by Blanchette. thanks
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

“The only thing we didn’t do,” he said, “is beat Gonzaga three times.” said Coach Bennett. Well, and schedule a decent OOC.

Can't get into the whole article. Could someone copy and paste it in a post for some of us who can't get in? Thanks
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Can't get into the whole article. Could someone copy and paste it in a post for some of us who can't get in? Thanks
    check your messages.