Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that do not like Vitale

Default For those that do not like Vitale

I get it, but . . .

The call about "Let's go dancing" when eMac broke free for the dunk sent shivers down my spine.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I like Dickey, he said great things about Gonzaga, Coach Few, Sabonis, Arvydas all game long

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I get it, but . . .

The call about "Let's go dancing" when eMac broke free for the dunk sent shivers down my spine.
    That has to be added to the pantheon of great Gonzaga calls.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

He may have a schtick.

He may sometimes worship at the alter of Duke, Coach K, and Knight a little egregiously.

But very few people love the game of college basketball like Dick V.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

He was clearly impressed with both teams' play as he should have been. That was a very well played, hard fought, battle and the announcers gave appropriate credit to both GU and SMC.

He was lobbying hard for both GU and SMC throughout the broadcast. And yes, he absolutely loves college basketball, ya gotta give him that.

I get it, but . . .

That was awesome!
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

I like Vitale... Thought he did a good job tonight (and thought he also did really well when he did the Butler-GU game a couple of years ago).

It was Musburger that said it, but awesome moment.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default Woo hoo

that's what I am talking about to my favorite brothers up in my section! Jäger shots soon! Woo hoo! Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    It was Musburger that said it, but awesome moment.
    Was it?

I trust your observation, but I thought it was Vitale.

No doubt, they're both legends and it is a privilege to have their high level team at the WCC semis/final.

I happen to like Vitale, too. It might be b/c I am so intense in GU games that I rarely hear announcers anyway, but I simply can't dislike him for any reason given how generous a person he is with donated time and money off the court.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Those guys were solid. I think the Vitale is generally regulated to the Blue Bloods and Duke - which rubs peeps the wrong way. But he knows hoops and I think he is right, both tourney teams. Though, SMC might not make it (?)

Do you think this will be posted anywhere for the idiots that were too nervous to watch the game at all??

It was 100% Musburger

Vitale has won me over by acting as a champion for the little guys.

I wish they would have spent a little more time calling the game and less time distracted with Lunardi. A bunch of fouls were called on the Zags and I was pissed about it it and got no explanation from the pros.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    It was 100% Musburger
    Thank you for clearing it up. Leave it to me to post a thread where the fundamental assumption was wrong.

Still a cool call and I do like the way they championed the two teams and sneered at the mid-level BCS schools. Plus, they knew our team, unlike some announcers.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I wish they would have spent a little more time calling the game and less time distracted with Lunardi. A bunch of fouls were called on the Zags and I was pissed about it it and got no explanation from the pros.
    They brought Lunardi in to say the same thing 4 times. My guess is that's for new viewers that stumble into the game on tv. Or that Joe is an idiot. Either way.

Was it?

I trust your observation, but I thought it was Vitale.

No doubt, they're both legends and it is a privilege to have their high level team at the WCC semis/final.

I happen to like Vitale, too. It might be b/c I am so intense in GU games that I rarely hear announcers anyway, but I simply can't dislike him for any reason given how generous a person he is with donated time and money off the court.
    I don't trust my observation at all, but I do trust my DVR
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Its taken this 17+ year run to turn Dick. He has respect now, especially for Few.
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Thank you for clearing it up. Leave it to me to post a thread where the fundamental assumption was wrong.

Still a cool call and I do like the way they championed the two teams and sneered at the mid-level BCS schools. Plus, they knew our team, unlike some announcers.
    Totally agree. Great call and great moment.

(I had to rewind it because I couldn't hear it the first time around...too busy jumping and yelling!)

I love Vitale and I have ever since I was a little kid and I was watching a Syracuse game on ESPN with my dad in the 80's and Pearl Washington of Syracuse hit a half court shot at the buzzer to win the game and Vitale went absolutely bonkers. It was the coolest thing I had seen/listened to. I fell in love with Vitale that day watching him on tv. I had never heard him or watched him cuz I was just a kid. He had his bald head and those UGLY eyeglasses he had way back then, I found him to be such a unique character almost like a cartoon character but ever since then I love any game he announces. I listened to him as a guest speaker when I was in college he came to call a game when I was at Oklahoma State university and he was calling the OSU vs Kansas game that night (this was when OSU had Big Country Reeves) and during the day Vitale spoke in front of a large group of students and college staff etc etc. It was the most electrifying thing I ever heard. The best speaker I have ever listened to. I would have run through a brick wall for him that day and he wasn't even coaching he was just a TV announcer. So much passion and intensity and emotion as a guest speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I like more play-by-play myself and posted last night about this. I get it...they are legends of the game. They have so many memories, acquaintances, and stories in their minds that they tend to crowd out some of the game commentary. It's understandable, but not everyone's "cup of tea". Both men were so complimentary to both the Zags and the Gaels. And why not? That was truly a classic ballgame!

+1 demian. Sounds like he moved you!

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I love Vitale and I have ever since I was a little kid and I was watching a Syracuse game on ESPN with my dad in the 80's and Pearl Washington of Syracuse hit a half court shot at the buzzer to win the game and Vitale went absolutely bonkers. It was the coolest thing I had seen/listened to. I fell in love with Vitale that day watching him on tv. I had never heard him or watched him cuz I was just a kid. He had his bald head and those UGLY eyeglasses he had way back then, I found him to be such a unique character almost like a cartoon character but ever since then I love any game he announces. I listened to him as a guest speaker when I was in college he came to call a game when I was at Oklahoma State university and he was calling the OSU vs Kansas game that night (this was when OSU had Big Country Reeves) and during the day Vitale spoke in front of a large group of students and college staff etc etc. It was the most electrifying thing I ever heard. The best speaker I have ever listened to. I would have run through a brick wall for him that day and he wasn't even coaching he was just a TV announcer. So much passion and intensity and emotion as a guest speaker.
    Great post.

One could say that college basketball wouldn't be quite what it is today without him. It would be big, for sure, but maybe wouldn't have the "juice" it has. The time he took to speak at your school was the type of thing I meant by him continually donating time and money. Maybe he got paid for the speech, maybe not, but he certainly didn't need the money and he certainly could have said, "no".
    Mark Twain.