X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

So long as we keep dominating the Orleans, why would anyone want to move our home away from home? No matter how comfortable the arena may feel, I'd bet it gets pretty uncomfortable upon seeing a loss.

Just kidding, mostly.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• scott257
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2009

There is so much talk in Texas right now about BYU joining the Big 12. Wouldn't that also be a factor that needs to be part of any decision? What school would replace BYU?

Comment

• sylean
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2010

the Orleans is not a dump....it has fantastic parking, something you'll fight on the strip....nice arena....plenty of restaurants....easy access off of rt 15.....

Comment

• Tetonka Test
          Bulldog Fan
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
          There is so much talk in Texas right now about BYU joining the Big 12. Wouldn't that also be a factor that needs to be part of any decision? What school would replace BYU?
          If you have to look at a school to replace BYU, then I think Denver should be the top choice.

They haven't been that good lately, but I still think they have the highest ceiling simply because they get good attendance at their games. WCC has too many schools with no fans. I'm afraid Seattle would be another "no fans" school.

Comment

• sylean
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2010

Creighton?

Comment

• zagdad
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2007

Mandalay Bay arena?.

Comment

• Unbiased
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sylean View Post
                the Orleans is not a dump....it has fantastic parking, something you'll fight on the strip....nice arena....plenty of restaurants....easy access off of rt 15.....
                +1. I haven't missed a tournament here. Great seating, intimate, and lots of close in free parking.

Comment

• 75Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

The Orleans is like going to motel in Soap Lake but with an indoor basketball court. We always stay on the Strip and have to negotiate our way over to the games. Many of you constantly complain about the WCC not getting the "respect" compared to other leagues. One way to increase respect is to move the tournament out of a hotel which boasts its 70 lane bowling alley as its major claim to fame.

Go Bulldogs!
                  Do not go gentle into that good night,
                  Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                  Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Watching ACC tourney……… Verizon Center in DC….can't be 5K in seats for the first 2 games ……18k capacity.

Zags must move

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

There were plenty of empty seats last night for the top 2 fanbases in the league. A bigger venue? Bad idea!!
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• zag67
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

I also agree that the New Orleans is a nice venue. It has lots of eating places, good parking, reasonable rooms and the arena is close. For those that want to stay on the strip and pay more, then do and come only for the games. The amount of seating is about correct, except for a few games and then it is packed.

Comment

• Tetonka Test
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2013

Mandalay Bay Events Center has hosted NBA pre-season basketball games, and will host a post-season tourney this year.

It seats 11,000 for basketball and would be a perfect size.

Last edited by Tetonka Test; 03-08-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                            Banned
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            Back to the Slim Gym....best venue ever.....somewhat biased view....

This!

Comment

• Zagger
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2008

It would not surprise me that should the WCC Tourney move to a location with easy Strip access that the GU games might draw in some of the general Vegas crowd. People in town are always looking for a show, etc. to go to. GU's notoriety is certainly growing. Tourney play is very exciting basketball. Maybe a larger venue would create some new Zag/college BB fans???

Comment

• MileHigh
                                Professional Zag Fan
                                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Tetonka Test View Post
                                If you have to look at a school to replace BYU, then I think Denver should be the top choice.

They haven't been that good lately, but I still think they have the highest ceiling simply because they get good attendance at their games. WCC has too many schools with no fans. I'm afraid Seattle would be another "no fans" school.
                                I know a couple of the higher ups in DU's athletic department and they have been trying to get into the WCC for years. WCC is their "dream conference" as they feel it is a fit athletically and academically. WCC folks have always told them that they don't want them because there is no natural travel partner for DU.

Also, DU's attendance for basketball is horrible every year. They have an 8000 seat arena and draw about 1000 on a good night for basketball. It's a hockey school (6-7000 for hockey games)

Comment

Working...
                                X