Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 188

Thread: Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    A little bit of collusion by the NBA commish at the time helped Seattle "lose" the Sonics. Some would still to this day say the Sonics were stolen rather than lost.
    Sorry I was referring to Pilots and "Sicks Stadium" haven't had a champagne of beers since.


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.
    Nice "Yogi-ism", thought someone else would notice this by now. AAAA++++

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Watching Keating's last WCC game. BYU came to play in this tournament and Zags are going to have a tough time. Go Zags!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdog71 View Post
    Watching Keating's last WCC game. BYU came to play in this tournament and Zags are going to have a tough time. Go Zags!
    byu up 4 with 4 to go........may not be keatings last game depending on what Brownridge and company does
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    byu up 4 with 4 to go........may not be keatings last game depending on what Brownridge and company does
    BYu showed great teamwork and senior leadership to pull it out

    SC missed some free throws when down 1 or 2...ouch
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Good effort by the Broncs to make it closer than it looked, but Keating walked down to shake Roses hand with about 5 seconds to go while Rose was still engaged. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

    Dead man walking.
    But we don't play nobody.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Good effort by the Broncs to make it closer than it looked, but Keating walked down to shake Roses hand with about 5 seconds to go while Rose was still engaged. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

    Dead man walking.
    Keating probably grabbed a cab and headed to Mccarran bypassing locker room.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    And it begins .... Keating texted that he is leaving SCU
    Last edited by Zag_Dad; 03-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    And it begins .... Kerating texted that he is leaving SCU
    https://twitter.com/SCUHoops?ref_src...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

    Sad that I won't coach this crew next year. But PROUD AS HELL for what we did to get them ready! #Broncos for life.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,098

    Default

    Gotta be photo shopped....

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Well, it will be nothing short of interesting to see where we go from here.

    A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

    Second would be an assistant from a strong Big East program...

    What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Well, it will be nothing short of interesting to see where we go from here.

    A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

    Second would be an assistant from a strong Big East program...

    What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.
    Believe it or not I am happy for SCU... What the administration did to Coach Davey was a travesty... paid for with the travesty that was Keating. Here is hoping you get a much better coach out of this in the end. An improved WCC only helps us all.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Well, it will be nothing short of interesting to see where we go from here.

    A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

    Second would be an assistant from a strong Big East program...

    What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.
    Make a run at that coach from North Dakota last year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Good effort by the Broncs to make it closer than it looked, but Keating walked down to shake Roses hand with about 5 seconds to go while Rose was still engaged. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

    Dead man walking.
    He knew it.
    But we don't play nobody.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Well, it will be nothing short of interesting to see where we go from here.

    A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

    Second would be an assistant from a strong Big East program...

    What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.
    Kobe.
    But we don't play nobody.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Make a run at that coach from North Dakota last year.
    That would be a good get.

    I wonder about Russ Turner of UC-Irvine. I think that would be a very good hire.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    That would be a good get.

    I wonder about Russ Turner of UC-Irvine. I think that would be a very good hire.
    Because I know most y'all on this board are big basketball fans, I'll drop in the names I've seen around in connection with the SCU job, in no real order.

    Santa Clara has a long history of having alumni as coaches so Rambis, Nash, Lloyd Pierce (current 76ers exec), and Vic Couch (longtime assistant to your man, Mr. Monson) are always brought up in regards to the SCU job.

    Others I've seen around today include- Travis Steele (Xavier Associate head coach), Russell Turner (UCI Coach), Jeff Cabel (assistant at Duke, formerly of Oklahoma), Herb Sendek (NC State/ASU, not sure how realistic), Tim O'Toole (Stanford Associate Head Coach, strong Catholic/Jesuit background).

    The reality is that our AD has ties to Syracuse and Oregon, and those coaching trees are likely in play. I think they probably already have a good idea who their going for. I'm hopeful whoever it is has head coaching experience, experience recruiting to a mid-major, and hopefully experience at a school in a crowded media market- Xavier, Nova, Marquette, St Johns, etc.

    We will see shortly, I have a feeling.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    I don't know anything about Steele, but it seems like just about every coach that has had ties to Xavier for the past 20-25 years has been fairly successful. Mack might buck the trend and decide to stay there long term, so Steele might have a long wait to get his turn as head coach for X.

    No disrespect intended, but I absolutely cannot see Capel being a serious candidate. While his tenure at Oklahoma was rocky, he's been killing it recruiting for Duke and might have the best shot of anyone from inside the Duke family of getting next shot when Coach K decides to retire. He can't keep coaching forever. Even if Capel did leave for another head coaching gig, I would have to think it would be something higher profile than SCU. Before Oklahoma he was at VCU, can't really see him going that direction at this point in his career.

    Sendek seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes, but he's a solid x's and o's coach. He wouldn't be a sexy pick (but Keating was, and look how that turned out), but he could be a good choice if he's interested. He had troubles recruiting against the upper echelon teams when he was in the ACC and Pac 12, but it would be entirely different recruiting against WCC schools.

    I have absolutely no inside info, just offering a couple knee jerk reactions to that list of names. Lots of interesting possibilities.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mom’s Basement
    Posts
    8,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    Because I know most y'all on this board are big basketball fans, I'll drop in the names I've seen around in connection with the SCU job, in no real order.

    Santa Clara has a long history of having alumni as coaches so Rambis, Nash, Lloyd Pierce (current 76ers exec), and Vic Couch (longtime assistant to your man, Mr. Monson) are always brought up in regards to the SCU job.

    Others I've seen around today include- Travis Steele (Xavier Associate head coach), Russell Turner (UCI Coach), Jeff Cabel (assistant at Duke, formerly of Oklahoma), Herb Sendek (NC State/ASU, not sure how realistic), Tim O'Toole (Stanford Associate Head Coach, strong Catholic/Jesuit background).

    The reality is that our AD has ties to Syracuse and Oregon, and those coaching trees are likely in play. I think they probably already have a good idea who their going for. I'm hopeful whoever it is has head coaching experience, experience recruiting to a mid-major, and hopefully experience at a school in a crowded media market- Xavier, Nova, Marquette, St Johns, etc.

    We will see shortly, I have a feeling.
    Any chance for Steve Nash?

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bremerville
    Posts
    3,096

    Default Rex Walters, too

    USF is looking for a new coach, according to ESPN and CBS Sports.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    NO!!!! My favorite coach to beat!!!!!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    There is another thread, but thought we'd keep it all in one.

    USF fires head men's basketball coach Rex Walters

    University of San Francisco Director of Athletics Scott Sidwell....
    “I’d like to thank Coach Walters for his eight years of service to the University of San Francisco and our men’s basketball program. However, I felt a change in the leadership of the program was necessary at this time in order for us to progress towards our goal of winning a conference championship and compete in postseason play on a regular basis.”
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    There is another thread, but thought we'd keep it all in one.

    USF fires head men's basketball coach Rex Walters

    University of San Francisco Director of Athletics Scott Sidwell....
    The two coaches I couldn't stand... gone....

    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    There is another thread, but thought we'd keep it all in one.

    USF fires head men's basketball coach Rex Walters

    University of San Francisco Director of Athletics Scott Sidwell....
    Just two years removed from being WCC Coach of the Year.

    USF's got its work cut out for it...lofty goals, but they've got a long ways to go before they can compete for the WCC title.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •