Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    A little bit of collusion by the NBA commish at the time helped Seattle "lose" the Sonics. Some would still to this day say the Sonics were stolen rather than lost.
    Sorry I was referring to Pilots and "Sicks Stadium" haven't had a champagne of beers since.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.
    Nice "Yogi-ism", thought someone else would notice this by now. AAAA++++

Watching Keating's last WCC game. BYU came to play in this tournament and Zags are going to have a tough time. Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdog71 View Post
    Watching Keating's last WCC game. BYU came to play in this tournament and Zags are going to have a tough time. Go Zags!
    byu up 4 with 4 to go........may not be keatings last game depending on what Brownridge and company does
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    byu up 4 with 4 to go........may not be keatings last game depending on what Brownridge and company does
    BYu showed great teamwork and senior leadership to pull it out

SC missed some free throws when down 1 or 2...ouch
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Good effort by the Broncs to make it closer than it looked, but Keating walked down to shake Roses hand with about 5 seconds to go while Rose was still engaged. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

Dead man walking.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Good effort by the Broncs to make it closer than it looked, but Keating walked down to shake Roses hand with about 5 seconds to go while Rose was still engaged. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

Dead man walking.
    Keating probably grabbed a cab and headed to Mccarran bypassing locker room.

And it begins .... Keating texted that he is leaving SCU
    Last edited by Zag_Dad; 03-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    And it begins .... Kerating texted that he is leaving SCU
    https://twitter.com/SCUHoops?ref_src...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Sad that I won't coach this crew next year. But PROUD AS HELL for what we did to get them ready! #Broncos for life.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Gotta be photo shopped....

Well, it will be nothing short of interesting to see where we go from here.

A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

Second would be an assistant from a strong Big East program...

What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post

A proven HC who has lead teams to the promised land, no matter who exactly it is, is high on my wish list.

What exactly transpires will be interesting, I really believe SCU to be a sleeping giant in this league. I hope the next coach can turn our program back into the asset that it used to be for the WCC.
    Believe it or not I am happy for SCU... What the administration did to Coach Davey was a travesty... paid for with the travesty that was Keating. Here is hoping you get a much better coach out of this in the end. An improved WCC only helps us all.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Make a run at that coach from North Dakota last year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Dead man walking.
    He knew it.

Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Make a run at that coach from North Dakota last year.
    That would be a good get.

I wonder about Russ Turner of UC-Irvine. I think that would be a very good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    That would be a good get.

I wonder about Russ Turner of UC-Irvine. I think that would be a very good hire.
    Because I know most y'all on this board are big basketball fans, I'll drop in the names I've seen around in connection with the SCU job, in no real order.

Santa Clara has a long history of having alumni as coaches so Rambis, Nash, Lloyd Pierce (current 76ers exec), and Vic Couch (longtime assistant to your man, Mr. Monson) are always brought up in regards to the SCU job.

Others I've seen around today include- Travis Steele (Xavier Associate head coach), Russell Turner (UCI Coach), Jeff Cabel (assistant at Duke, formerly of Oklahoma), Herb Sendek (NC State/ASU, not sure how realistic), Tim O'Toole (Stanford Associate Head Coach, strong Catholic/Jesuit background).

The reality is that our AD has ties to Syracuse and Oregon, and those coaching trees are likely in play. I think they probably already have a good idea who their going for. I'm hopeful whoever it is has head coaching experience, experience recruiting to a mid-major, and hopefully experience at a school in a crowded media market- Xavier, Nova, Marquette, St Johns, etc.

We will see shortly, I have a feeling.

I don't know anything about Steele, but it seems like just about every coach that has had ties to Xavier for the past 20-25 years has been fairly successful. Mack might buck the trend and decide to stay there long term, so Steele might have a long wait to get his turn as head coach for X.

No disrespect intended, but I absolutely cannot see Capel being a serious candidate. While his tenure at Oklahoma was rocky, he's been killing it recruiting for Duke and might have the best shot of anyone from inside the Duke family of getting next shot when Coach K decides to retire. He can't keep coaching forever. Even if Capel did leave for another head coaching gig, I would have to think it would be something higher profile than SCU. Before Oklahoma he was at VCU, can't really see him going that direction at this point in his career.

Sendek seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes, but he's a solid x's and o's coach. He wouldn't be a sexy pick (but Keating was, and look how that turned out), but he could be a good choice if he's interested. He had troubles recruiting against the upper echelon teams when he was in the ACC and Pac 12, but it would be entirely different recruiting against WCC schools.

I have absolutely no inside info, just offering a couple knee jerk reactions to that list of names. Lots of interesting possibilities.

Because I know most y'all on this board are big basketball fans, I'll drop in the names I've seen around in connection with the SCU job, in no real order.

Santa Clara has a long history of having alumni as coaches so Rambis, Nash, Lloyd Pierce (current 76ers exec), and Vic Couch (longtime assistant to your man, Mr. Monson) are always brought up in regards to the SCU job.

Others I've seen around today include- Travis Steele (Xavier Associate head coach), Russell Turner (UCI Coach), Jeff Cabel (assistant at Duke, formerly of Oklahoma), Herb Sendek (NC State/ASU, not sure how realistic), Tim O'Toole (Stanford Associate Head Coach, strong Catholic/Jesuit background).

The reality is that our AD has ties to Syracuse and Oregon, and those coaching trees are likely in play. I think they probably already have a good idea who their going for. I'm hopeful whoever it is has head coaching experience, experience recruiting to a mid-major, and hopefully experience at a school in a crowded media market- Xavier, Nova, Marquette, St Johns, etc.

We will see shortly, I have a feeling.
    Any chance for Steve Nash?

Default Rex Walters, too

USF is looking for a new coach, according to ESPN and CBS Sports.

NO!!!! My favorite coach to beat!!!!!

There is another thread, but thought we'd keep it all in one.

USF fires head men's basketball coach Rex Walters

University of San Francisco Director of Athletics Scott Sidwell....
    “I’d like to thank Coach Walters for his eight years of service to the University of San Francisco and our men’s basketball program. However, I felt a change in the leadership of the program was necessary at this time in order for us to progress towards our goal of winning a conference championship and compete in postseason play on a regular basis.”

The two coaches I couldn't stand... gone....

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Just two years removed from being WCC Coach of the Year.

USF's got its work cut out for it...lofty goals, but they've got a long ways to go before they can compete for the WCC title.