Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

Default Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

Who gets the axe after Las Vegas?

Eric Reveno is the 2nd most tenured Coach in the WCC, 10 yrs. By all accounts a really good guy & his kids graduate.

His 1st 5 years in the league he was 33-37 (14 per yr.). Last 5 = 27-59 (16 > 18 per yr.).

Keating has a new A.D. Housecleaning?

Rex. Bored?

Pacific. Academic scandal. Burns get the job full time?

Could be a huge turnover, which makes the league even less competitive next year.

Your thoughts?
    But we don't play nobody.

I think Reveno is safe and I wouldn't be surprised to see Burns get the Pacific job on a permanent scale. I think there is a good chance that Keating and/or Walters could be let go but not sure.

Reveno must stay
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Don't see Reveno being on the hot seat. As much as I'd like to see Walters be on the hot seat... if all the scandals of last year didn't take him out... don't think a middling finish is.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Walters and Keating -- off to the JC ranks.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

I have an impeccable source that says Portland is shopping. My source was on their shopping list. Too bad. Seems like ER is a good man and coach. Can't imagine Keating being kept.

Few over at GU likely gone - did you see the year they had? Gotta get a fresh guy.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

These administrations should look first at donor support for hoops in the manner of coach pay, facility upgrades, etc. for the long term success of their programs. There are zero programs nationwide that are successful year in year out that fund their hoops programs like most WCC schools do and play in the facilities that are scattered around this conference. You can't expect a good coach to lift a program solely by himself, at least long term, and I am actually shocked Bennett is still at St Mary's....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I have an impeccable source that says Portland is shopping. My source was on their shopping list. Too bad. Seems like ER is a good man and coach. Can't imagine Keating being kept.
    Not sure what this might add if anything to the discussion, but The Portland AD, Scott Leykam is a very solid guy if he was anything like his father, John, a longtime fixture at SMC. I guess my point is that Scott would likely give everyone the chance to succeed. He has been ER's boss now for 4 years. Scott is an SMC grad (spent most of his career at Stanford) so my thinking is that his goal would be to mirror the SMC program (one that he is very familiar with) and obviously that hasn't
    happened, yet.

I believe Rex has 2 years left on his contract which supposedly would be a significant obstacle to his "firing".

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Few over at GU likely gone - did you see the year they had? Gotta get a fresh guy.

I thought Arizona was offering some big time cash, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post

I believe Rex has 2 years left on his contract which supposedly would be a significant obstacle to his "firing".
    At least they will know how much mediocrity costs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Keating is a charismatic mediocrity... hard to tell.

Walters is similar - and while he has occasionally gotten better results, he seems to have a harder time keeping players around.

Reveno need to take a sharp look at his assistants, and see about getting a rock-star recruiter.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Reveno must stay
    Love Eric Reveno.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

If these programs cared at all about being successful, there would be significant turnover.

Obviously - Few, Rose, Bennett, and Wilson are safe.

Walters should be gone. Trash program, lots of players transferring out. If not for those lucky home wins vs. GU forever ago, he would be gone already.

Reveno should be gone. If being a "good guy" is all you need to hold on to a D1 coaching job, I'm sure they could find someone that can put a better team out on the floor consistently. Look at his results and tell me they're acceptable for a program with a desire to be mediocre or better. Hasn't even made an NIT, and they had a couple teams that many GU fans thought would push for a WCC title. Two first round CBI losses, that's it.

Keating has done nothing. Program seems to be getting worse (if that was possible).

USD, Pacific, LMU all horrible programs. I'd say Pacific has hope to emerge in the near future, no reason not to keep Burns. USD and LMU will be awful for years to come.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

USF should look into scheduling a few home games in the new Chase Arena which opens in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    USF should look into scheduling a few home games in the new Chase Arena which opens in 2019.
    ???? If they aren't playing the Zags they can't fill up what they have and sometimes they don't even do it then.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    ???? If they aren't playing the Zags they can't fill up what they have.
    A few…..BYU___GU____SMC__……

A few…..BYU___GU____SMC__……
    I edited... capacity in WMG is 5000+...

GU game this year: 4000
    BYU game this year: 2585

Umm... not necessary

ETA:

GU game last year: 4200
    BYU game last year: 2200

Still not necessary.

I edited... capacity in WMG is 5000+...

GU game this year: 4000
    BYU game this year: 2585

Umm... not necessary

ETA:

GU game last year: 4200
    BYU game last year: 2200

Still not necessary.
    That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.

That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.
    Again... if you aren't filling up your current venue that is on campus where, if you wanted you could give tix away to students... why go to another venue that is larger... to have more empty seats? Look at it this way... you aren't drawing the local GU fans as it is... a change of venue isn't likely to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Who gets the axe after Las Vegas?

Eric Reveno is the 2nd most tenured Coach in the WCC, 10 yrs. By all accounts a really good guy & his kids graduate.

His 1st 5 years in the league he was 33-37 (14 per yr.). Last 5 = 27-59 (16 > 18 per yr.).

Keating has a new A.D. Housecleaning?

Rex. Bored?

Pacific. Academic scandal. Burns get the job full time?

Could be a huge turnover, which makes the league even less competitive next year.

Your thoughts?
    Would love to see Burns get the full time position. The way his team rallied around him speaks volumes. I think he'd do a very good job in Stockton.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Again... if you aren't filling up your current venue that is on campus where, if you wanted you could give tix away to students... why go to another venue that is larger... to have more empty seats? Look at it this way... you aren't drawing the local GU fans as it is... a change of venue isn't likely to change that.
    An occasional change can build some buzz, sort of like the BiS. A marquee matchup might generate broader interest. Winning those of course is key to sustaining the interest.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    An occasional change can build some buzz, sort of like the BiS. A marquee matchup might generate broader interest. Winning those of course is key to sustaining the interest.

Another idea is double header SCU vs USF_____SMC vs GU

If it ever gets built. Lawsuits. Lawsuits. Lawsuits. Not in my backyard. (BTW - where is everybody going to park??)

Tell that to all the cities that have lost teams because they wouldn't build a new stadium. Like the Sonics for one.