Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 188

Thread: Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default Keating & Walters Pack their Bags ( Thread Merge )

    Who gets the axe after Las Vegas?

    Eric Reveno is the 2nd most tenured Coach in the WCC, 10 yrs. By all accounts a really good guy & his kids graduate.

    His 1st 5 years in the league he was 33-37 (14 per yr.). Last 5 = 27-59 (16 > 18 per yr.).


    Keating has a new A.D. Housecleaning?


    Rex. Bored?


    Pacific. Academic scandal. Burns get the job full time?


    Could be a huge turnover, which makes the league even less competitive next year.


    Your thoughts?
    But we don't play nobody.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    I think Reveno is safe and I wouldn't be surprised to see Burns get the Pacific job on a permanent scale. I think there is a good chance that Keating and/or Walters could be let go but not sure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,590

    Default

    Reveno must stay
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

    12 Straight Round of 32s

    11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Don't see Reveno being on the hot seat. As much as I'd like to see Walters be on the hot seat... if all the scandals of last year didn't take him out... don't think a middling finish is.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oakdale, CA
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Walters and Keating -- off to the JC ranks.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,098

    Default

    I have an impeccable source that says Portland is shopping. My source was on their shopping list. Too bad. Seems like ER is a good man and coach. Can't imagine Keating being kept.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,055

    Default

    Few over at GU likely gone - did you see the year they had? Gotta get a fresh guy.


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    935

    Default

    These administrations should look first at donor support for hoops in the manner of coach pay, facility upgrades, etc. for the long term success of their programs. There are zero programs nationwide that are successful year in year out that fund their hoops programs like most WCC schools do and play in the facilities that are scattered around this conference. You can't expect a good coach to lift a program solely by himself, at least long term, and I am actually shocked Bennett is still at St Mary's....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I have an impeccable source that says Portland is shopping. My source was on their shopping list. Too bad. Seems like ER is a good man and coach. Can't imagine Keating being kept.
    Not sure what this might add if anything to the discussion, but The Portland AD, Scott Leykam is a very solid guy if he was anything like his father, John, a longtime fixture at SMC. I guess my point is that Scott would likely give everyone the chance to succeed. He has been ER's boss now for 4 years. Scott is an SMC grad (spent most of his career at Stanford) so my thinking is that his goal would be to mirror the SMC program (one that he is very familiar with) and obviously that hasn't
    happened, yet.

    I believe Rex has 2 years left on his contract which supposedly would be a significant obstacle to his "firing".

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Few over at GU likely gone - did you see the year they had? Gotta get a fresh guy.


    I thought Arizona was offering some big time cash, though...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post

    I believe Rex has 2 years left on his contract which supposedly would be a significant obstacle to his "firing".
    At least they will know how much mediocrity costs.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  12. #12

    Default

    Keating is a charismatic mediocrity... hard to tell.

    Walters is similar - and while he has occasionally gotten better results, he seems to have a harder time keeping players around.

    Reveno need to take a sharp look at his assistants, and see about getting a rock-star recruiter.
    History has its eyes on you.

    Sage of the GU Message Board

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    8,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Reveno must stay
    Love Eric Reveno.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    If these programs cared at all about being successful, there would be significant turnover.


    Obviously - Few, Rose, Bennett, and Wilson are safe.


    Walters should be gone. Trash program, lots of players transferring out. If not for those lucky home wins vs. GU forever ago, he would be gone already.

    Reveno should be gone. If being a "good guy" is all you need to hold on to a D1 coaching job, I'm sure they could find someone that can put a better team out on the floor consistently. Look at his results and tell me they're acceptable for a program with a desire to be mediocre or better. Hasn't even made an NIT, and they had a couple teams that many GU fans thought would push for a WCC title. Two first round CBI losses, that's it.

    Keating has done nothing. Program seems to be getting worse (if that was possible).

    USD, Pacific, LMU all horrible programs. I'd say Pacific has hope to emerge in the near future, no reason not to keep Burns. USD and LMU will be awful for years to come.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    USF should look into scheduling a few home games in the new Chase Arena which opens in 2019.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    USF should look into scheduling a few home games in the new Chase Arena which opens in 2019.
    ???? If they aren't playing the Zags they can't fill up what they have and sometimes they don't even do it then.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    ???? If they aren't playing the Zags they can't fill up what they have.
    A few…..BYU___GU____SMC__……

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    A few…..BYU___GU____SMC__……
    I edited... capacity in WMG is 5000+...

    GU game this year: 4000
    BYU game this year: 2585

    Umm... not necessary

    ETA:

    GU game last year: 4200
    BYU game last year: 2200

    Still not necessary.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I edited... capacity in WMG is 5000+...

    GU game this year: 4000
    BYU game this year: 2585

    Umm... not necessary

    ETA:

    GU game last year: 4200
    BYU game last year: 2200

    Still not necessary.
    That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    That's assuming no new interest in seeing new stadium. I live in Southern Cal and I'd go to a game. I've never been to a game in War Memorial and I'm never going back for another…….as Yogi might say.
    Again... if you aren't filling up your current venue that is on campus where, if you wanted you could give tix away to students... why go to another venue that is larger... to have more empty seats? Look at it this way... you aren't drawing the local GU fans as it is... a change of venue isn't likely to change that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Who gets the axe after Las Vegas?

    Eric Reveno is the 2nd most tenured Coach in the WCC, 10 yrs. By all accounts a really good guy & his kids graduate.

    His 1st 5 years in the league he was 33-37 (14 per yr.). Last 5 = 27-59 (16 > 18 per yr.).


    Keating has a new A.D. Housecleaning?


    Rex. Bored?


    Pacific. Academic scandal. Burns get the job full time?


    Could be a huge turnover, which makes the league even less competitive next year.


    Your thoughts?
    Would love to see Burns get the full time position. The way his team rallied around him speaks volumes. I think he'd do a very good job in Stockton.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Again... if you aren't filling up your current venue that is on campus where, if you wanted you could give tix away to students... why go to another venue that is larger... to have more empty seats? Look at it this way... you aren't drawing the local GU fans as it is... a change of venue isn't likely to change that.
    An occasional change can build some buzz, sort of like the BiS. A marquee matchup might generate broader interest. Winning those of course is key to sustaining the interest.

    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    An occasional change can build some buzz, sort of like the BiS. A marquee matchup might generate broader interest. Winning those of course is key to sustaining the interest.



    Another idea is double header SCU vs USF_____SMC vs GU

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    USF should look into scheduling a few home games in the new Chase Arena which opens in 2019.
    If it ever gets built. Lawsuits. Lawsuits. Lawsuits. Not in my backyard. (BTW - where is everybody going to park??)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Again... if you aren't filling up your current venue that is on campus where, if you wanted you could give tix away to students... why go to another venue that is larger... to have more empty seats? Look at it this way... you aren't drawing the local GU fans as it is... a change of venue isn't likely to change that.
    Tell that to all the cities that have lost teams because they wouldn't build a new stadium. Like the Sonics for one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •