Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WCC Tournament: Santa Clara vs. Gonzaga on Thursday at 8 pm

Gonzaga Women Drop Heartbreaker in Quarterfinals

Zags suffer third one-point loss in last four games

March 4, 2016

Final Stats

LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- The Gonzaga women's basketball team was eliminated from the 2016 West Coast Conference Tournament with a 59-58 quarterfinal loss to Santa Clara Thursday.

The fourth-seeded Broncos (23-7) advance to Monday's semifinals and will face the winner of top-seeded BYU and ninth-seeded Pepperdine. It's the first time SCU has advanced to the semifinals since 2010.

The loss was Gonzaga's third one-point setback in the last four games and fourth over the last 43 days. Before this season, the Bulldogs never had more than two one-point decisions in a single season.

Marie Bertholdt and Lori Parkinson combined for 39 of the Broncos' 59 points. Bertholdt scored a game-high 20 points on 6-of-14 shooting from the field, including 3-for-6 from behind-the-arc. The junior made the game-winning free-throw with 14.9 seconds left in regulation. She finished 5-of-6 from the line and grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.

In a game that featured nine ties, there was only one lead change. GU never trailed in the first half and took its largest lead of the game, 29-24, into the halftime break. The Broncos took their first lead of the game, 33-31, just over two minutes into the third quarter. SCU led 37-31 after a 9-0 run, but the Bulldogs countered with back-to-back threes to tie the game.

Santa Clara then went on an 8-1 run to take its largest lead of the game, 45-38, with 2:42 left in the third quarter. Gonzaga closed within two, 46-44, by the end of the period. SCU led by as many as five in the final quarter, but the Zags battled and would tie the game with 39 seconds left on an And-1 from Jill Barta. Bertholdt's game-winning free-throw followed and GU's final shot was off the mark.

The fifth-seeded Bulldogs were held to 30.8 percent shooting from the field, while Santa Clara made 35.2 percent of its shots. The Broncos finished 17-of-20 (85 percent) from the free-throw line and GU was 20-of-27 (74.1 percent). The Zags had a slim 39-36 edge in rebounds. SCU forced Gonzaga into 20 turnovers, while it committed 15.

The Zags' (18-13) Shelby Cheslek recorded her ninth double-double of the season with 14 points and 10 rebounds. It was the 18th double-double of the senior's career. She also blocked three shots Thursday. Laura Stockton was 8-for-8 from the free-throw line and dished out a game-high four assists with just one turnover. Jill Barta added nine points and nine rebounds.

Gonzaga finds out if its postseason will continue when the NCAA Tournament and WNIT fields are selected on March 14.

Gonzaga Article Link

The game is a microcosm of the Lady Zags season.

Poor shooting for the game (30.8%)
    Poor 3-Point Shooting (24.0%)
    High number of turnovers (20)
    Let SC get a high number of offensive rebounds (13)
    Shelby missing 3 straight bunnies down the stretch. She had a great game but when crunch time came, she missed.
    Non-Intelligent fouls - Waters had 3 straight fouls, the 4th-6th on GU in the 4th leading to free throws.
    We played about 80% of the game. We need to play 90-100% to beat the top half of WCC.

We knew we had to play a complete game if we were going to win. We did not play a complete game, thus, we did not win.

It is unfortunate for the season to end this way. I wish the ladies luck.

ZagDad

the turnovers....silly passes.....I've noticed in our four 1 point losses, 3 of the last shots ended up in the hands of a freshmen, usually not in great position....

I we will certainly miss the seniors, but I'm hoping next season we GO ALL THE WAY.....I mean it.....I want an NCAA final four caliber team effort....I think we have the bodies, hopefully we have the minds and the spirit....

this loss has pretty much put a damper on my Vegas trip....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    the turnovers....silly passes.....I've noticed in our four 1 point losses, 3 of the last shots ended up in the hands of a freshmen, usually not in great position....
    Lisa has said that the Lady Zags are an inside - out first team. Unfortunately the girls tend to try to force the ball to the inside no matter how many people are packed in the key leading to a lot of silly passes and turnovers. You have to realize when it does not make sense to force it into the middle.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Lisa has said that the Lady Zags are an inside - out first team. Unfortunately the girls tend to try to force the ball to the inside no matter how many people are packed in the key leading to a lot of silly passes and turnovers. You have to realize when it does not make sense to force it into the middle.

ZagDad
    In this particular game someone did not work hard at all to get open, she always had a body on here, but get her the ball then go up strong and draw the foul. She just didn't work hard enough. If no one is guarding here she shoots the lights out, she needs to adjust and work harder at getting free. It is also quite helpful if stone hands can actually catch the passes and go straight up without putting the ball on the floor for a turnover. Turnovers MUST be cut down drastically in the future.