Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunardi tweet (merged Bracketology threads)

Default Lunardi tweet (merged Bracketology threads)

and only one possible game (St Mary's) with a higher RPI than the Zags. GU may even drop RPI with a win @ San Diego, which ranks truly terrible 301st out of 351. Wins on the road are worth more, but blow outs not supposed to be considered. I prefer BPI and KenPom, but you can be certain that the only RPI which will be allowed in the NCAA's own.

The next two games only matter if a number of bubble teams lose, and this year, anything is possible. Win the tournament, Zags are in, blowout @USD won't help seed, and even a win @ BYU won't do much for seed, since they are ranked below GU. If the Zags are only get one win versus BYU, a win in the tourney is infinitely more valuable. A St. Mary's loss before the tournament would be interesting, but that won't happen, and would change things much in any case.

My view: limit the playing time of fatigued or injured players tonight so they'll have something in the tank for the Cougars.

Go Zags!

Win next two games, win two wcc tourney games and win or loss in title game we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    and only one possible game (St Mary's) with a higher RPI than the Zags. With no chance to play a ranked team or a Top 50 team.

Go Zags!
    If SMC wins out it's likely that they will be ranked unless 1) you don't count the USA Today/Coaches Poll or 2) it doesn't count because It's SMC and SMC sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    If SMC wins out it's likely that they will be ranked unless 1) you don't count the USA Today/Coaches Poll or 2) it doesn't count because It's SMC and SMC sucks?
    I hope that both teams win out and that the Zags beat a Top-25 team in the Vegas finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I hope that both teams win out and that the Zags beat a Top-25 team in the Vegas finals.
    I was with you right up until the last part of the sentence

Lol Don. You've been good with the jokes lately! Lol love it! Go zags!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Actually, if the Zags win out, they will have plenty of chances to play a ranked team.

Why the negative vibes, man?

And I was hoping for solidarity with the Gael fanbase.

I'm with you Don, Saint Mary's won't be a top 25 team in Vegas.

Default Lunardi tweet

Zags first out.

Logical conclusion is a win tonight (as a dog) bumps us a couple of spots. Almost mirror image of last year with BYU coming here on Sr. night. Except we looked past them last year, doubt they do that to us this year.

Whether they admit to it or not, every one of those players and coaches reads those.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I doubt a win against BYU gets them back in.. I just don't see us as a AT Large team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Logical conclusion is a win tonight (as a dog) bumps us a couple of spots. Almost mirror image of last year with BYU coming here on Sr. night. Except we looked past them last year, doubt they do that to us this year.

Whether they admit to it or not, every one of those players and coaches reads those.
    BYU picked up a Top 10 RPI win in Spokane. That was enough to put them in. A win in Provo wouldn't have nearly the same boost. BYU isn't even a Top 50 opponent. To get that kind of profile bump, we needed to beat SMU.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    BYU picked up a Top 10 RPI win in Spokane. That was enough to put them in. A win in Provo wouldn't have nearly the same boost. BYU isn't even a Top 50 opponent. To get that kind of profile bump, we needed to beat SMU.
    Ha! Certainly true. As I came back to re-read that after an hour, I was like; "Yeah, nice post, DixieDck. What an idiot."

There's also the fact that even if Lunardi did raise us up 2 spots, he's about the only one out there with us ranked even that high.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Just win baby

(Insert Al Davis pic here)

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I don't understand the point of Lunardi's tweet, he already posted in Bracketology.

I also disagree. Gonzaga is rated higher than Butler and Tulsa in BPI, KenPom and Sagarin, higher than Cincinnati In Sagarin, and very close to bothe Vany and Cincy where they trai. The Zags are ranked highr in raw rankings than those teams too. They have a better record, fewer bad losses etc. RPI, as has been said, is used for seeing, not determing admittance to the tourney. The seeing eye test also supports the Zags.

The more bubble teams that lose, the more sure the Zags are in.

Of course, win in Vegas and it's a moot point!

Were back in cozideration to be included in the conversation for the 11 or spots that 24 teams are in conderation for. We are at the end of the list.

Several of the teams above us still have 2 conference games to play, and some of those games are against ranked opponents. If they lose those games, even to the ranked opponents, Zgas should move up.

It is kind of why the tweet etc. makes little sense. It is all written in sand.

All of you who still think that we can get an at-large bid must have your head in the sand. You guys need a reality check. If you look at the first 4 in & first 4 out, we are the only mid-major on the list. Cincy has wins over UConn twice, VCU, Tulsa, & GW & still has SMU to play. Vanderbilt just beat Kentucky. Tulsa beat Wich St, UConn, Temple, Cincy, & SMU. Butler has wins over UConn, Cincy, & Purdue. Oregon St has wins over Tulsa, Oregon, Utah, USC, Cal. St Bonaventure is less stellar with wins over only GW & Dayton. GW has wins over Virginia, VCU & Davision. We only have a win over UConn as our signature win. In addition, all these teams play in major conferences & therefore all have better strength of schedule. If any of these teams play deep into their tournaments or beat a ranked team in their conference tournament, then their stock will rise even more above ours.

The reality is that there are usually a few bid stealers in the conference tournament. And when that happens, most of the teams in the first 4 in & first 4 out, actually will not get in.

Bottom line is our resume is just not good enough. BYU win (non-top 50) does nothing to increase are at-large chances. Even Lunardi in his article admits to that.
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

We must win the WCC tournament. It is as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    All of you who still think that we can get an at-large bid must have your head in the sand. You guys need a reality check. If you look at the first 4 in & first 4 out, we are the only mid-major on the list. Cincy has wins over UConn twice, VCU, Tulsa, & GW & still has SMU to play. Vanderbilt just beat Kentucky. Tulsa beat Wich St, UConn, Temple, Cincy, & SMU. Butler has wins over UConn, Cincy, & Purdue. Oregon St has wins over Tulsa, Oregon, Utah, USC, Cal. St Bonaventure is less stellar with wins over only GW & Dayton. GW has wins over Virginia, VCU & Davision. We only have a win over UConn as our signature win. In addition, all these teams play in major conferences & therefore all have better strength of schedule. If any of these teams play deep into their tournaments or beat a ranked team in their conference tournament, then their stock will rise even more above ours.

The reality is that there are usually a few bid stealers in the conference tournament. And when that happens, most of the teams in the first 4 in & first 4 out, actually will not get in.

Bottom line is our resume is just not good enough. BYU win (non-top 50) does nothing to increase are at-large chances. Even Lunardi in his article admits to that.

And you are entitled to your OPINION! It doesn't mean yours is any more right than mine, just that it is yours. Please argue the facts, but resist the insults. Thanks

Factually you are probably right. Lunardi is the only one that even has us that close, as far as I know. There are a couple things you're not considering, though. One is just about all those other teams have some bad losses. Our "Mark" is that we don't, it's about the only thing we have going for us. Second, if we get to the final, we will have finished with at least 2 semi good wins (assuming BYU doesn't get beat), one on the road, one at a neutral court. It likely isn't enough, agree, totally, but it is something for them to chew on. Especially if we play SMC to the buzzer in a theoretical loss.

We aren't a mid-major, no matter what the conference is.

I do happen to think the tourney takes money into account, even if it's subconscious, no matter how hard they insist they do not. It's just too much money on the line and it seems to matter in any other contract, but I could be wrong.

Last, never throw away the committee's ability to shock with weird picks - UCLA last year (money, again?).

You're likely right, but to come out and attack others so strongly on a matter like this seems silly. I stand with Will.
    Mark Twain.

I agree. All those schools have a better resume than ours. Not sure how many "bad loses" those team have if any and we lost seven games by 24 points. Who knows at what the Dance Committee is looking, when they select teams. Granted, it sure does look that we are going to have to win the WCC Tourney and winning our first two games may not make a difference as you said...BUT it ain't over till the fat lady sings and I know she is in the opera house...

Also, every year the committee seems to mention that they value an attempt to play a tough ooc schedule vs playing a bunch of cupcakes

Tell that to VCU in 2011 (7 losses in the COlonial Athletic Association, 7!) George Mason 2006! Iona 2011, UAB 2011, BYU last year and the year before,

I don't wanna hear it. Selection Committee does what they want, and they don't listen to the "experts"

Head in the sand? Come on man, you're being harsh because there's a lot more examples I can throw at ya, that make worse sense than what I've listed. Please do research first before you make conclusions on what main stream media has fed you.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by nonzagzag View Post
    Also, every year the committee seems to mention that they value an attempt to play a tough ooc schedule vs playing a bunch of cupcakes
    Bingo.

I know for a fact that the "washed out" game against Pitt in Okinawa will be discussed "in the room" as a testament to Gonzaga's tough ooc scheduling. It wasn't a win or a loss (and was a 2 point game when it was called off). That was followed up with the trip to the Bahamas for 3 other "Power 5" games. As of this morning, in the three indexes actually used by the Committee (per the Selection Committee Chair) Gonzaga's average is 28.67 (and will go down tomorrow when Sagarin has his "update" (Zags were 27 in Sagarin before last night's win). After the BYU win Gonzaga is 27 in BPI and 32 in KenPom.

Add to that the fact that Gonzaga's true "road" record ended up at 9-2 ... things aren't as "bleak" as some may think. It'll all be moot though, as this group of guys isn't going to lose again for several weeks.