Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

I'm posting this thread a little early so fans can get right on it as soon as possible. It's the biggest game of the year so far. And I can hardly wait. Can we finally get a win when we need one?

Gonzaga 73
    BYU 71

We finally get the win we need.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags ahead 10 at the half and extend it by 15 in the 2nd.

Zags ahead by 6 at the 4:00 minute mark.

BYU 82
    Zags: 79

I hope I'm wrong. But, it's BYU's senior night and we haven't won what I consider a big game since UConn. And, during the last 2 big games I thought we would turn it around. We didn't.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

BYU 88
    Gonzaga 80
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

foul fest game
    Zags 64
    dirty team 60

Zags 89
    BYU 88
    Love the zags for life

BYU 80
    Zags 70

Zags, 75-70.

BYU can play some atrocious defense at times. We need to really score, rebound well and shut down their 3's. Going to be tough, but doable.

I still believe this game doesn't really matter either way - but just in case all the stars start aligning just perfectly (no surprise conference tournament winners, etc.) it would be great to get a win (probably also needed for morale).

If the Zags can play loose ....
    Zags 88 - BYU 70
    Zags are a good D team - better than BYU. I think we'll see some darn good play Saturday night by Zag guards and another good scoring spread. 5 Zags scored 10 or more points last night. I'm hoping we see 6 Zags with 10+ against BYU. I'm betting one of those with 10+ Saturday will be M2C. Melson is also becoming a big threat for opposing teams. If BYU thinks they can beat the Zags by focusing on Wiltjer & Sabonis ..... won't work.

BYU by 12 in a meaningless game for GU.......say, 90-78.

Hey Jazz? If GU wins don't they tie for the Conference Championship? And if they did tie, aren't they considered to be co-champs? To me that's a pretty big deal. I guess I'm still old school about how important I think being a conference champion is. Also if the Zags win and St Mary's loses, wouldn't we be champions of the WCC? That's pretty meaningful to me. I belong to a breed of athletes where every game is meaningful, even the ones at age 68 that I play out on a home-made basketball court in our front yard with my grand children.

I think every time the Zags hit the basketball court the game is meaningful. They know that. They know that the team who is warming up on the other side of the court wants to beat them more than almost every team they play during the year, and for most teams the Zags play it IS the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year. That team over there on the other side is going to give that game every thing they have and MOST LIKELY they will play their best game of the year. I'm so glad that HBO is making a documentary of our beloved Zags. I think we all got a chance to see, in episode one, what the guys feel like after a loss. It was raw and real. I guarantee you one thing. The Zags, each and every one of them feel like this game is meaningful and maybe the most meaningful game of the year. They ARE going to put everything into it. They will leave everything they have tomorrow night on the court. I would say that for the first time in conference play they will not be favored in the game. And they ARE playing for the conference championship!!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    BYU by 12 in a meaningless game for GU.......say, 90-78.
    Would like to understand your reasoning in classifying this game as meaningless for GU

I could see this game being somewhat meaningless if you believe GU only makes the tourney by winning the WCC tourney, but even then GU has the opportunity to still get the #1 seed with a win over BYU (and SMC loss) and potentially avoid BYU and SMC on back to back nights. Also a win at BYU does nothing but aide in our bubble chances

Meaningless? Not so much
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Yeah unfortunately this is a big game and this year's team has shown that they falter in big games -

BYU - 81
    Zags - 69

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Would like to understand your reasoning in classifying this game as meaningless for GU

I could see this game being somewhat meaningless if you believe GU only makes the tourney by winning the WCC tourney, but even then GU has the opportunity to still get the #1 seed with a win over BYU (and SMC loss) and potentially avoid BYU and SMC on back to back nights. Also a win at BYU does nothing but aide in our bubble chances

Meaningless? Not so much
    U answered your own question perfectly..

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Hey Jazz? If GU wins don't they tie for the Conference Championship? And if they did tie, aren't they considered to be co-champs? To me that's a pretty big deal. I guess I'm still old school about how important I think being a conference champion is. Also if the Zags win and St Mary's loses, wouldn't we be champions of the WCC? That's pretty meaningful to me. I belong to a breed of athletes where every game is meaningful, even the ones at age 68 that I play out on a home-made basketball court in our front yard with my grand children.

I think every time the Zags hit the basketball court the game is meaningful. They know that. They know that the team who is warming up on the other side of the court wants to beat them more than almost every team they play during the year, and for most teams the Zags play it IS the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year. That team over there on the other side is going to give that game every thing they have and MOST LIKELY they will play their best game of the year. I'm so glad that HBO is making a documentary of our beloved Zags. I think we all got a chance to see, in episode one, what the guys feel like after a loss. It was raw and real. I guarantee you one thing. The Zags, each and every one of them feel like this game is meaningful and maybe the most meaningful game of the year. They ARE going to put everything into it. They will leave everything they have tomorrow night on the court. I would say that for the first time in conference play they will not be favored in the game. And they ARE playing for the conference championship!!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Bornie. It's a relative term. Of course its a game (certainly better than last night's joke) and we all will watch and root. Just saying the Zags are in or out of the NCs based on the tourney.....

U answered your own question perfectly..
    Isn't a potential 1 seed in the WCC tourney better than 2/3?

Cougars by at least 10-15.

BYU 85
    Zags 70
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

If early foul trouble sits DS and KW won't play both ends of the floor spells Doom. Jazz is correct! Zags need to win the tourney to keep the string alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Isn't a potential 1 seed in the WCC tourney better than 2/3?
    Not sure....I see Pep, SMC and BYU kinda the same....tough for this Zag team

Not sure....I see Pep, SMC and BYU kinda the same....tough for this Zag team
    I could see that...I just fall in the "at large is possible there" crowd and a win at BYU carries some, if ever so little, positive weight.

In some instance a 2 seed may be more advantageous for GU in the WCC tourney, depending on how things shake out...playing PEP would worry me more than say BYU...just for the fact that we have beat them twice and they, much like us vs SMC are a team that falls into the "tough to beat them 3 times" group...although I think we carry a little more psychological barriers for SMC than PEP does for us.

Moral of Zagsker's story....I loved "The Money Pit"

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    BYU can play some atrocious defense at times. We need to really score, rebound well and shut down their 3's. Going to be tough, but doable.

I still believe this game doesn't really matter either way - but just in case all the stars start aligning just perfectly (no surprise conference tournament winners, etc.) it would be great to get a win (probably also needed for morale).
    I am flip-flopping on my earlier opinion Zags should just rest KW and prep for WCC tourney. Beating BYU on their senior night would be a big confidence booster for Zags, and at this point they really need to win a big game so they can believe they can win big games....more big games to come in WCC tourney!

I'm hoping to see Melson and Perkins continue to score more and start carrying this team offensively a little bit. That will take a lot of pressure off KW and Sabonis and completely mess up opponents' gameplan to simply double-post and dare our guards to score.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Zags 79
    BYU 74

Honestly with the way we've scored lately (making mediocre defenses look like great defenses) I don't see how they come out of that place with a win. If someone other than Silas gets hot from the perimeter (aka a starter, aka KD) Zags can win. Witljer has to show up.

BYU 70 Zags 65
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

BYU 81
    Gonzaga 70

Prove me wrong, boys.