Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Down by 7 at half.

Win by 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    Tiger fan here. GU takes down Cougars, 76-71, not with their best game, but a yeoman type job.
    Welcome
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

If we take care of these (3) things, we win:

1. MAN-UP or Zag-up Kyle Collingsworth. Don't let him dribble to the hoop for wide open layups as he did in Spokane.

2. Sabonis plays more than 15 mins while staying out of foul trouble. Their guards went right at him every possession he was on the floor. Many were phantom calls & perfect position by Domas. How will the refs call the game?

3. I know we'll defend that weasal Emery, but we have to hope/cross fingers/wisb he doesn't continue to make miracle 3's. Ever since he hit the " game winner" 25 foot 3pt shot vs us, he's been taking & making them since that game. His last 5 games he's shooting close to 70% from 3pt & taking Dan Dickau-esque attempts!

Yes, Austin can rebound, Kaufusi can foul, Fischer can hit shots & score in bunches, et al, but the above 3 are key. We were dominating BYU until those 3 things happened.

We contain Emery, keep Sabonis on the floor, & limit Collingsworth, we win by a blowout.

Easier said then done.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    It's not a prediction, but I'd like Silas Melson to knock that package-punching, face-like-a-sex-offender, dress-like-a-sperm Nick Emery on his ass.

That is all.
    How do you really feel ?

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

got to think Silas, KD and Emac will get the Collinsworth matchup mostly without much perimeter help, much like in Spokane. that D worked pretty well, but the great player Collinsworth is showed as he picked up his D, got a steal and breakaway to start the second half, etc. Zags D'd up BYU pretty well though, denied the 3. I'd bet they go that way on D again and live with the dribble drives and tough twos. BUT cannot capitulate like they did second half vs. SMC when the M2M D allowed easy twos instead of forcing tough twos, and SMC converted. Just running dudes off the 3 point line is not enough, have to also win some of those battles when the dribble drive is forced, and without much perimeter help. Also think Few will mix up his D in the second half, look to keep BYU more off balance to help the defenders, but much harder to rebound out of zones and BYU gos hard to the O glass...a real chess match possibly tonight. Domas has to be smart around the rim too while Edwards hopefully fouls out tonight with 5 real good ones

This is the first game of the season that I expect the Zags to lose. All the others I was optomistic, but this one...

That being said, they will probably surprise me and stomp BYU, SMC will lose and it will be another WCC crown for the Zags.

As always, we have to run, run, run to beat BYU. We'll need 86 points to win. Can't come out of the chute slow tonight. NO FOULS!! Sabonis has to get out of his rut and back in the free throw making mode. Our bigs will shoot a lot of free throws. Just as Bennett seems to have Few's Mojo, Few seems to have Rose's mojo. Few has his number and Rose has a hard making adjustments that work against us. I think we win a battle by 10 that is much closer than the final score would indicate.

I think BYU will do what they usually do...ugly up the game. The Zags need to stay focused...and grind it out. We lose, we are the 3rd best team in the WCC...after being swept by the top 2 teams....any at large bid then would go out the window.

I know Nick Emery has been hot from 3, but we have to force them into the statistically lower percentage shots. Dribble-drive penetration kills us from a scoreboard perspective, and it puts our big's at risk.

If a team is going to beat you from 3, there really isn't a whole lot you can do without stretching yourself too thin. Continue to feed the post and hope that KW gets out of his slump. If you can get KW and Domas going, hopefully Josh and Silas's increased scoring show up, and Emac and work the lanes and the baseline with his athleticism. We get that, we're good. We don't, game over.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    This is the first game of the season that I expect the Zags to lose. All the others I was optomistic, but this one...

That being said, they will probably surprise me and stomp BYU, SMC will lose and it will be another WCC crown for the Zags.
    The more ways we can break up the pattern, the better.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    I think BYU will do what they usually do...ugly up the game. The Zags need to stay focused...and grind it out. We lose, we are the 3rd best team in the WCC...after being swept by the top 2 teams....any at large bid then would go out the window.
    I agree on everything but the last part about 3rd best team. The other teams have laid big eggs against inferior teams, in and out of conference. We haven't. That speaks to something. This team beats itself in big games.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

In OT, sealed on free throws --

Provo Punchers Club: 81
    HBO Film Crew Draggers: 83
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

You're absolutely right. A win against a sub-50 RPI will have no impact to the NCAA committee for an at-large bid. We have to win the WCC tournament to get in. A win tonite & winning the WCC tournament might give us a higher seed though.

BYU 75
    Gonzaga 66

I don't have any confidence that GU can shoot well enough from the perimeter to win this game on the road in a hostile environment. I like the team and I like there gritty effort and I actually appreciate that they have worked hard all year in all games but they are just real limited offensively and it is the textbook case of "it is what it is". Which is ok. I still like them but I just have seen no evidence that we can shoot it well enough from the perimeter to win these type of games.

I get why people are not feeling very confident about the game tonight, but let's not anoint BYU as victors yet. Yes, Gonzaga has failed to close out in a big game so far this year.. BUT, they have put themselves in position to win every game. Yes, BYU is on a roll lately ... BUT it has been against SD, SCU and USF (not exactly powerhouse teams). And, yes, the game is in Provo... the same gym where they lost to Pacific.

I feel like this game is Gonzaga's to lose.

Go get em'

https://youtu.be/1Y-8s8rkiOM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and risk having my hopes crushed by believing tonight is the night Perkins and Melson stake their claim to becoming the next great Zags backcourt. Big games from both of them tonight and throughout this team's late season surge into NCAA tourney after re-establishing GU's alpha dog status in WCC by winning the conference tourney.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I know Nick Emery has been hot from 3, but we have to force them into the statistically lower percentage shots. Dribble-drive penetration kills us from a scoreboard perspective, and it puts our big's at risk.
    hey coach, that's the book generally over the years but the game has evolved, it's changed, and simply collapsing and helping to contain the dribble is what teams want the D to do! Please give us open looks from 3!
    and that's not what the Zags have been doing to become good 3 point defenders for the first time ever as a team. instead, they have been forcing the dribble and running guys off the 3 point line and staying home on the perimeter against the good 3 point shooting teams...that's what the Zags have been doing. Frankly, the Zags have ALWAYS been killed by the dribble drive and open look 3 the dribble creates on the collapsing D, always the achilles heel, BUT at least this year's D has not given up the relentless drive and kick 3s while they're caught scrambling around doubling and over helping, etc. the heavy help D also puts everyone out of position to box out and rebound, another issue against a good O board team like BYU. we'll see.
    All that said, I'd bet the Zags do use the helpside D in spots and on occasion to challenge the shooters to step up, but leaving guys open from 3 as a plan is no longer considered smart D when trying to contain the dribble against good shooting teams. the philosophies on this have evolved

is the vegas betting line picking the zags to win by 2 or 3 at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    is the vegas betting line picking the zags to win by 2 or 3 at this time?
    BYU by 3ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Would like to understand your reasoning in classifying this game as meaningless for GU

I could see this game being somewhat meaningless if you believe GU only makes the tourney by winning the WCC tourney, but even then GU has the opportunity to still get the #1 seed with a win over BYU (and SMC loss) and potentially avoid BYU and SMC on back to back nights. Also a win at BYU does nothing but aide in our bubble chances

Meaningless? Not so much

It's meaningless cause a win doesn't get them in the big dance.. They know they got to get the automatic bid.

Loss tonight means nothing.

BYU by 12, Wiltjer looks exhausted in the second half, barely plays defense. Edwards with no second half minutes.