Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GU vs Pepperdine....Post Game Thoughts

+2
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelZag View Post
    A little early for videos, but here goes...

Dix and Abe, this one's for you.

https://youtu.be/ICmD8P0x8_M[/URL]
    Your link isn't working.

I softly suggested that a post was unnecessarily rude and then got lumped into shots fired at a large group of other people.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think it's about time to change the topic and get back to talking about Pepperdine or GU. I really like Pepperdine, and they are my favorite team in the WCC after GU of course. I think their starting five is really good, and they presented a huge challenge to our Zags. I'm really glad we had that game at their place as it has prepared us for our road trips this week to Portland and SMU. Pepperdine looked huge on TV. Not necessarily tall like some teams, but muscular. And they are good. Murry and Davis could start on most teams in USA I believe. Well, maybe I'm taking it too far, but I think Davis could. Murry can be tough when he plays the way he did against us Saturday. Raines is also a good player whom Gonzaga held in check. I wish them the best the rest of the way.It would be nice to see them beat St Mary's Thursday.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Late to the party. Most thought @ Pepperdine would be a tough challenge. GU had control most of the way. Pep made several runs but the Zags held them off each time. Davis was great but nobody else hurt GU too much. Seems like Raines went off on them several times last year, he wasn't much of a factor.

On Perkins throwing the ball in the air at the end, it was a good idea, just poor execution. If he would've lobbed it downcourt towards GU's basket that would've been more effective. Fortunately it didn't bite them in the butt.

The 14-0 run by Pepperdine over a stretch of 2:45 in the first half was probably the most concerning part of the game to me, but GU overcame it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think it's about time to change the topic and get back to talking about Pepperdine or GU. I really like Pepperdine, and they are my favorite team in the WCC after GU of course. I think their starting five is really good, and they presented a huge challenge to our Zags. I'm really glad we had that game at their place as it has prepared us for our road trips this week to Portland and SMU. Pepperdine looked huge on TV. Not necessarily tall like some teams, but muscular. And they are good. Murry and Davis could start on most teams in USA I believe. Well, maybe I'm taking it too far, but I think Davis could. Murry can be tough when he plays the way he did against us Saturday. Raines is also a good player whom Gonzaga held in check. I wish them the best the rest of the way.It would be nice to see them beat St Mary's Thursday.
    +1
    Go Waves, beat the Gaels. Done it once. Do it again.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    wow....had not looked at this forum for a week or so and just saw the dozen or so posts from MDABE80 that go after Josh for everything from his haircut, to being the "boy love" of another poster to him being a "look at me" player who should be benched for a walk-on! Pretty amusing actually, because it is clear MDABE80 simply does not like how Josh plays the game or how he carries himself. He is entitled to his opinion and I guess that is what forums like this are for .But in relation to some of that I thought I would chime in:

--The throw the ball in the air play was stupid, Josh now realizes it was stupid,and I guarantee he willlnever do it again, but at the time he thought if he did that, 1) they wouldn't be able to foul and stop the clock, 2) the clock would run out with the ball in the air. It was the antithesis of a "look at me" move because a player that has that attitude would let them foul so he could get to the line and pad his stats.

-The accusation that he is a "look at me player" is ridiculous. If you have not noticed, Josh takes wayyyy more pleasure in throwing a lob pass for a nice dunk or threading the needle on a pass so his team mate can score. In his mind 10 points and 20 assists is a much better game than 20 points and 10 assists. He has always been team first and to imply that he is more concerned with his stats and is a "me first" player couldn't be further from the truth. The coaches are always trying to get him to shoot more as he passes up 3 or 4 good scoring opportunities every game. He may have a flair for the flamboyant pass on occasion, he may like to change his hairdo periodically, but does that make him a bad kid or a bad player? no!

--His stats speak for themselves, while not spectacular they are certainly solid for a freshman. 10pts, 50% 3ball, 45%FG, 2.5/1 TOA ratio. How many freshman in the country have better stats as a pg playing for a high profile program? I dont know but I cant imagine there is more than a handfull

Here in Park Hill, we have a saying "haters gonna hate" and Josh knows that some people will criticize no matter what and he could not care less what a message board pundit thinks of his hairdo or his playing style. He cares what his coaches think and what his teammate think, and he will continue to play for them
    Great post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Bias is huge.......makes you believe odd things.
    Yes I'm aware of the phrase. I used it not in a pervish way like you might. This is a basketball board, not a sociology board maynard. Remind yourself.
    I wouldn't use that phrase at all. Or another from you that is, unfortunately, stuck in my memory bank: "gold grillz". The choice of words one makes paints a picture of who one is.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    +1
    +2 - Thanks, MileHigh. This fan was so happy when Josh chose the Zags. This fan's still so happy he chose the Zags. A fine player who's gonna be a nationally recognized, talked-about PG by his junior year.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Your link isn't working.

I softly suggested that a post was unnecessarily rude and then got lumped into shots fired at a large group of other people.
    Hi Dixie, wasn't choosing sides. Just thought this video was perfect for this thread. Could have fit quite a few threads as of late.

https://youtu.be/l_4iQDYDVNo "Walk Away" Joe Walsh and the James Gang.

Remember how we used to always fret about 3 pt defense? Gonzaga is currently 4th in the entire country in 3 pt defense. I'm going to talk a wild guess and say that our young guards with all that length probably have something to do with this.

I am a big fan of Josh. I do think he could be more consistent and does some unusual things. He's underperformed. SOme look at his data and praise him. I tend to go inside the numbers. I expect more from this talented kid. MileHigh...your kid's a good player. I want him sonsitently GREAT. That's been elusive. One thing is crystal clear..he's not a Pangos. or a Bell........in their first year. I hope he gets better. No worries.
    Abe

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Remember how we used to always fret about 3 pt defense? Gonzaga is currently 4th in the entire country in 3 pt defense. I'm going to talk a wild guess and say that our young guards with all that length probably have something to do with this.
    Great point.

Two halves to a court, performing much better on one half should be appreciated and mentioned alongside concerns on the other. As you note, the 3 pt defense has been outstanding the last 4-5 games. I can't recall one team just going off on us as has happened in the past. Additionally, Domas has played without foul trouble (for the most part). One could see the difference in the game we all recognized as "off" at SMC. They got to do whatever they wanted. We shot a total of 3 Ft until the very end. No, "And one's" to Domas working his shoes off down low.

Our defense has been excellent and that needs to continue, as you note.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.