Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Pepperdine....Post Game Thoughts

Default GU vs Pepperdine....Post Game Thoughts

Gonzaga 69
    Pepperdine 66

Great win for the Zags. GREAT WIN FOR THE ZAGS!!! They did it. I'm so excited. This game was so important, imo. And they didn't blow the lead. Talk about great foul shooting. Zags shoot 91% from the line tonight, making 21-23, and the biggest two were by Kyle Dranginis who hit the last two with seconds to go in the game. Perkins also made two really tough ones just before Dranginis' two. And Sabonis shot 11-11.

Really the Zags did not play great at all. They had an average offensive game, shooting 43% for the game and just 21% from beyond the 3 pt line. Our guards shot really horrible once again, but we still won. And Wiltjer, imo, had a very sub par game shooting 1-6 from beyond the 3pt line. BUT!!! And it's a huge but, Sabonis was an animal and a man among men, imo. HIs best game as a Zag. They could not stop him. The only way they could stop him was to foul him. He really took a beating, and made great passes out of the double teams, but sadly, our guards once again were really off.

The good news was we only had 8 turnovers, and Perkins only had one. I think that was a huge stat.

The Zags held their composure, which was great. And it was two of our guards who closed the game at the Free Throw line. That's huge. When this team learns to shoot better from the outside on the road, it will really be a tough team to beat.

Two huge wins this weekend on the Road, on a day so many teams fell once again. Most notibly BYU falling to Pacific at home.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Great 40 minutes of basketball by both teams So proud of the guys! Kept cool heads. Btw has anyone ever seen a foul called when the refs couldn't think of who was fouled? Crazy reffing

Happy for Draino nailing those 2 big FTs at the end. Form was great, shot them with confidence. Hope he continues to build on this!

The 3 point shooting was horrendous (4 for 19 I believe?). I did like the way Silas took the ball to the rack on several occasions and was able to finish. Sabonis is the "Chairman of the boards".

Season is next Saturday IMO.

Team needs that win. If they lose back is against the wall cause I dont see them winning the tourney this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    Great 40 minutes of basketball by both teams So proud of the guys! Kept cool heads. Btw has anyone ever seen a foul called when the refs couldn't think of who was fouled? Crazy reffing
    Typically the shooter is the player closest to the one who didn't commit the foul?!? (I'd rephrase this if I thought it would do any good...)

Solid game, but I don't recall much growth. Sabonis was dominant yet again. KW was gun shy, Perkins was his aggressive self (good and bad), and we didn't ask much from Dranginis until those clutch FTs. Melson showed some flashes, he's starting to figure out how to utilize his athleticism. Alberts and Edwards were N/A, which was disappointing.

hey Reborn, nice write up. Physical game, especially on Domas. He took a beating and came through. Tough kid. Maybe Marty's game plan was to share fouls on him? idk, but he got hammered. great stat on the tunrovers, and the guards loaded up the bigs often, doesn't show up in the stats as well, but it was pretty good I thought. missed open looks from deep on the road and still overcame to win.
    Few's use of the zone to cover Domas and avoid the Davis matchup M2M was pretty good most of the night tho maybe Zags struggled to rebound out of the zone some, which happens
    Few really went to Domas to deal with the physical play and he delivered, hitting his FTS and sticking that strategy in their face. Melson came up big defending

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger14 View Post
    Season is next Saturday IMO.

Team needs that win. If they lose back is against the wall cause I dont see them winning the tourney this year.
    I do.

I loved it. Held fast. Never gave up the lead (close!). Both KW and Sabonis stayed out of foul trouble and the ones that were called sometimes seemed sketchy. Sabonis is such an animal.

3pt shooting was awful. Not sure what to day about that. Done playing in that place for another year, so we'll worry about it next time.

Liked that KD wanted those shots at the end. eMac was open on the sideline but KD held onto it, took the fouls and sank it.

Zone worked great for periods of time. Not sure why we came out of it at times, probably adjusting to shooters on their side.

Just keep winning.

Ugly, gutsy confeence win on the road in a hostile environment.

Perkins had a very good game. If Wilt is even a few 3 pointers better, this probably doesn't stay as close as it did, and we are shooting free's while already up closer to double digits.

Perkins was our second best rebounder tonight. Had a 5-1 a/t ratio. Still has some developing to do, but I'll take what we got from him tonight. Maybe shooting a few less 3 pointers.

Regarding KW on offense. I noticed a couple things: if he gets going down low (they are letting him get set deep early) then he seems to stick with that. If he is being forced out more they move to the the pick and pops and let him fire from deep. If they are going to opens things up. When they don't....

What I think he needs to do is hit the baseline and the elbows on the key and just step back and shoot. He did this a couple times tonight. It's pretty much unstoppable and if KD or Sabonis is the guy that clears out they can roll to the hoop if there is a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Perkins had a very good game. If Wilt is even a few 3 pointers better, this probably doesn't stay as close as it did, and we are shooting free's while already up closer to double digits.

Perkins was our second best rebounder tonight. Had a 5-1 a/t ratio. Still has some developing to do, but I'll take what we got from him tonight. Maybe shooting a few less 3 pointers.

He sure did . 5-1 A/TO ration was accompanied by 1-5 from 3 and that glitzy 3-11 from the floor was an eye opener. And the end of the game move was appreciated by Coach Few. Wonderful. In a nutshell, he played ok. I say that only because we won.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    He sure did . 5-1 A/TO ration was accompanied by 1-5 from 3 and that glitzy 3-11 from the floor was an eye opener. And the end of the game move was appreciated by Coach Few. Wonderful. In a nutshell, he played ok. I say that only because we won.
    Don't cite Perkins end of game, look at me play, Doc, you will be disappeared from the board like my thread Look At Me was. Too negative, I suspect. Few's irate response notwithstanding.

Miserable 3 point shooting. Zags 4 of 19 from behind the arc, Stacey Davis 5 of 6. If Zags made just 2 more................ or better yet just shot their average %...............
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

This team would have lost this game in December. They found a way to hold on to a small lead against a tough team that was playing very good, physical defense. They hit free throws. They did not cough up many turnovers. They defended well even with some foul trouble. They didn't lose their poise when shots weren't falling.

I credit Pepperdine for fighting back until the final second of the game. They had some really questionable calls go against them in a game that was not well officiated for either team. The Waves never let those setbacks take them out of the game.

I do not want to see the Waves in Vegas.

Beat a tough team on their home court all while not having a particularly good shooting night. That was a good win.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I don't get the constant anti Perkins beating of the drums coming from you MDABE and Jazz. Perkins had 10pts, 6 rbs, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal and 1 turnover. Would it be nice if he shot 50%+ from the field, sure, but goodness gracious take it easy on your presumably favorite team's starting freshman PG.

Try cheering for the kid instead of waiting to see his next mistake, it makes viewing the games much more enjoyable.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I don't get the constant anti Perkins beating of the drums coming from you MDABE and Jazz. Perkins had 10pts, 6 rbs, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal and 1 turnover. Would it be nice if he shot 50%+ from the field, sure, but goodness gracious take it easy on your presumably favorite team's starting freshman PG.

Try cheering for the kid instead of waiting to see his next mistake, it makes viewing the games much more enjoyable.
    Our starting PF shot less than 50% last night and nary a word... wonder why he doesn't get the drumbeat of hate?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I do.
    Me too...but this was a key win on the road.....Sabonis is so damn good, he alone gives them a chance on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Don't cite Perkins end of game, look at me play, Doc, you will be disappeared from the board like my thread Look At Me was. Too negative, I suspect. Few's irate response notwithstanding.
    Jazz, your 'Look At Me' thread was moved to the Game Thread ( I did not make that edit, FWIW ). I personally didn't think you were "too negative," but some of the comments below yours in that thread were borderline "ban me" . One went as far to call Josh a "ret@rd" as an example.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default Meehan's Game Story - PEPP - 2. 7. 16

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...perdine-69-66/

Gonzaga was hanging on to a two-point lead with 18.9 seconds remaining. One minute before, Dranginis had missed badly on an open 3-point attempt that probably would have put the game out of reach for the Waves.

“I could hear it,” said the senior guard, a 50-percent free-throw shooter. “I wanted redemption. I needed redemption for that airball. They were going crazy when they saw I got fouled but I was happy. I didn’t want to end the game that way.”

Dranginis calmly hit both foul shots on a night when the free-throw line was friendly to the Zags, who sweated out a 69-66 victory late Saturday night in front of 3,210 at Firestone Fieldhouse.

“Those were clutch,” GU coach Mark Few said. “That took a lot of courage after the way that 3 went.”

The AP wire story: http://collegebasketball.ap.org/arti...pperdine-69-66

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Jazz, your 'Look At Me' thread was moved to the Game Thread ( I did not make that edit, FWIW ). I personally didn't think you were "too negative," but some of the comments below yours in that thread were borderline "ban me" . One went as far to call Josh a "ret@rd" as an example.
    Thx for the heads up Reen.....it was pretty dumb -- and it seemed the coach agreed -- but oh my, thats awful stuff.

+1

In order for this team to take the next step, this stat line can not be acceptable from our point guard position.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagAddict View Post
    +1

In order for this team to take the next step, this stat line can not be acceptable from our point guard position.
    Not true. If Perkins keeps up a 5:1 assist to turnover ratio, rebounds, blocks shots and gets steals Zags can live with poor shooting from him. Key is to then get good scoring and shooting % from EMac, Melson, KD, and Alberts.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1