Thread: Barely a bubble team now

Default Barely a bubble team now

Despite Wiltjer & Sabonis, this is not a good Zag team. McClellan occasionally as he did tonite is a third option, but the rest of the team is woeful. Perkins, Melson, Alberts are not existent offensively and again got dominated defensively as St Mary's drove at will to the hoop in the second half. Zags also have no bench. This game is typical of Zags all year. They get off to a big lead against everybody, Wiltjer & Sabonis log heavy minutes, get tired in the second half, the other team comes back and Gonzaga can't finish. With no signature wins, 3 home losses, no longer in 1st place in the WCC, and a plummeting RPI, Gonzaga will have to win the WCC tournament or else they will not be going to the NCAA tournament this year.

Maybe we should get a sponsorship from "BubbleYum" -- do they still make that?

It's been a season of missed opportunities but it's a stretch to say that "this is not a good Zag team". This may be the season that Gonzaga misses the NCAA tournament but it's too soon to make that conclusion. They lost a nail biter to SMC in their gym... the next two times they play us will be at GU and in Vegas. I'm confident that GU can win both those games given what I saw last night. Had GU won last night, you wouldn't be saying that they are "not a good Zag team".

Don't give up on this team. Lots of basketball left to play. I am going to Dallas next month to see them play at SMU! When they win that game, people will jump back on the bandwagon.

GO ZAGS!

There's always good teams on the bubble. There's always low-ranked teams that make runs in the tourney and validate their regular season. We've not been in that position before but it's not the end of the world if we are. It might just make some of our 'fans' appreciate the position we put ourselves in most years.

Blah blah blah. We lost another game by 3pts and are now 14-5 overall...world is ending. Why can't we just look at the reality that this team is limited because they lack depth...particularly after losing Karno. We only have 8 guys on scholarship that are eligible and only six of those guys should be sniffing the floor for a Top 25 team. I can't say that I think Melson ever fits at this level but I still think that Alberts has upside (he's a freshman). Edwards can provide some solid minutes to give guys a rest upfront.

The ENTIRE issue with this team is that they only really have five guys ready to play consistently. Tehy have to play every important minute of every game...they wear out at the end of games but there is no other option. There hasn't been a game we've played we couldn't have won and, to be honest, shouldn't have won if we had any rotation at all.

This team will still win enough games to get in the NCAA's and I think they will win the conference tournament as well. There was nothing I've seen that told me that St Marys was anywhere near as talented than the Zags. It was a home court push, on a down night from Wiltjer/Perkins, that they survived. We gave the BYU game away and I fully expect we beat both the next time around.