Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMC post game

Default SMC post game

Meh, played better than normal and got beat by a better than normal team. That's basketball.

Respectfully disagree. GU was the better team by far for 33 minutes then fell apart.
    I love the Zags and don't even get too upset when they get beat. But to consistently lose when controlling a game in the second half is just soul crushing.

Please Perk don't keep dribbling into black holes and looking for a place to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Respectfully disagree. GU was the better team by far for 33 minutes then fell apart.
    I love the Zags and don't even get too upset when they get beat. But to consistently lose when controlling a game in the second half is just soul crushing.
    Disagree here too! When the Zebras swallow their whistle on one end, the outcome is predetermined.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Disagree here too! When the Zebras swallow their whistle on one end, the outcome is predetermined.
    agree!

Refs didn't blow lead....

Hmmm we were robbed. Gotta draw fouls

The officials have nothing to do with Few continuing to get tight late in games and the offense not understanding the concept of putting the ball through the hoop

On top of that, they tried giving us the game, and we some how managed to choke that away too.

I don't blame us losing on the refs but they were awful tonight. All game! 2 very poor calls at the end especially the phantom foul on Sabonis.

I'd rather look at the ridiculous string of empty possessions and turnovers that led to this. The Reffing was unbalanced, but it pretty much always is on the road and especially at the end of games. The turnovers and total lack of offense were much worse than any officiating woes.

The turnovers kill me, they just make inexplicable passes. I don't know why they seem to lose focus and throw the bad passes.

I thought they played good for the most part, some poor decision making and depending too much on Domas down the stretch. They still had a great chance to win, make the free throws and Zags win.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    No good time to say this but I am truly sorry. I feel bad because you feel the same as me about your team.

Nope. Loss is on Zags, and coach, very much.

But, anyone doubting there was an agenda see call on Sabonis with 6 seconds left.

There is an absolute written in stone rule that players decide the game.

That was a complete nothing foul with them in the double bonus.

It was intended to win the game - ref couldn't know they'd play a dumb foul and give us a shot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    No good time to say this but I am truly sorry. I feel bad because you feel the same as me about your team.
    You could have folded but made some clutch 3's and fought hard and wanted it more in the end.

Congrats Don.....been a while enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Congrats.

Season isn't over in terms of winning conference.

Unfortunately, our hopes for an large big are.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I have said this all along, but Gonzaga is going to have a hard time beating really good teams unless Wiltjer AND Sabonis have good games. KW putting up 6 points is not going to result in a win over SMC. There isn't enough firepower on the rest of the team, and the defense without Karno in the middle is not stout enough to hold an elite offense like that down for 40 minutes.

Sabonis was a no show against BYU, and the same thing happened. These two guys must have good games to have any chance of beating teams with substance. It's the way it is, and the way it will be until the season finishes.

It's really disappointing that in all these defeats, GU wasn't able to hold on to double digit leads in the 2nd half. I really wish the Zags had an athletic wing scorer who could bring double digit scoring every single game. It's like they are one player short. They were even one player short when they had Karnowski.

Still don't feel GU is out of the running for an at large spot, but their margin for error is really shrinking.

Please Perk don't keep dribbling into black holes and looking for a place to pass.
    actually disagree with this....I want him penetrating but what I am tired of watching is if nothing there he immediately picks up dribble instead of backing out or looping around, it has become a serious patterned issue for the young man that he MUST fix
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Disagree with everyone-- we really won that game! Just didn't end soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    The turnovers kill me, they just make inexplicable passes. I don't know why they seem to lose focus and throw the bad passes.

I thought they played good for the most part, some poor decision making and depending too much on Domas down the stretch. They still had a great chance to win, make the free throws and Zags win.
    Agree... had one real bad one with Perkins throwing it to no one into the backcourt for a violation.

Am I the only one who noticed that on Wiltjers last "offensive foul" the defender had a foot inside the arc? Should have been a no question defensive foul. And don't get me started on the last "foul" on Sabonis.

They didn't, but how many moving screens can you give one team before it affects the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I have said this all along, but Gonzaga is going to have a hard time beating really good teams unless Wiltjer AND Sabonis have good games. KW putting up 6 points is not going to result in a win over SMC. There isn't enough firepower on the rest of the team, and the defense without Karno in the middle is not stout enough to hold an elite offense like that down for 40 minutes.

Sabonis was a no show against BYU, and the same thing happened. These two guys must have good games to have any chance of beating teams with substance. It's the way it is, and the way it will be until the season finishes.

It's really disappointing that in all these defeats, GU wasn't able to hold on to double digit leads in the 2nd half. I really wish the Zags had an athletic wing scorer who could bring double digit scoring every single game. It's like they are one player short. They were even one player short when they had Karnowski.

Still don't feel GU is out of the running for an at large spot, but their margin for error is really shrinking.
    I wish they had a real point guard floor general who understands valuing the ball and leadership...

Go!! Zags!!!

its becoming more apparent. Josh Perkins is just a terrible decision maker. We are lucky we have NWG next year.

They didn't, but how many moving screens can you give one team before it affects the outcome?
    We dealt with it for what 35 min OK ..........and nobody fouled out.........won't blame 1 or 2 calls for this loss when we should have put em away from the free throw.

Default Gonzaga vs St Mary's post game thoughts

I thought the Zags played really well accept down the stretch one more time. Gonzaga loses by 3 points. But basically it was a one point loss, and Eric McClelland was at the free throw line shooting a one and one. He missed the front end...GAME OVER. Too bad for Eric because he had a great game. OUtstanding game. I really feel badly for him.

Kyle Dranginis had a great game tonight; so I feel pretty bad for him. I'd say it was his best game as a Zag. Keep it up Kyle. Sabonis was awesome as well. Dranginis finished the game with 13 points and made 3 three poiters. Saboinis scored 17 points, 13 boards and 7 assists. There were some Zags who really played great. Unfortunately, the whole team did not play well, and in a game like this one, everyone needs to play well. Kyle Wiltjer, imo, was a no-show, and this time a no show for the whole game, offense, defense and rebounding. He had two rebounds, and 4 turnovers. I don't know why Few played him. He really hurt the Zags tonight. Big time. Edwards was playing really well. Wiltjer was pathetic on defense. PATHETIC. Almost every time St Mary's scored Wiltjer was the guy guarding the shooter. OH well, and especially when St Mary's made a 3.

The frustrating thing is that for so long the Zags really looked good. They really did. Even though Wiltjer was not doing anything, other guys were. And then, as has been the case this year, we turned the ball over four straight times and they made all four shots and caught us. Zags had 12 turnovers. Too many. St Mary's had 6.

Here is a telling stat. Gonzaga 3-5 from the Foul line. St Mary's was 14-16. Hare to believe that Gonzaga only shoots five free throws...Weird. and two of those misses were the front end of one and one's at the end of game. Sabonis also missed the front end of one. Kyle Wiltjer 0 threes.

Kudos to the Zag defense. Overall they played great, but not so well at the end. St. Mary's got 44 points in the second half.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!