Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fews Prevent Offense

The problem is he has no one to substitute with. Alberts and Melson should not be playing on a Top 25 level team IMO. Edwards can get you some decent minutes. Otherwise you are down to walkons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Yes that point could be made…………. could you see another persons point………. if…… big if Coach would have been more aggressive utilizing substitutions before during and after Time outs so players didn't get so fatigued by the end of the game? If that happened and if we won couldn't we maybe give credit to coach for the win because players remained fresh because of aggressive rotation based on extended rest utilized around time outs? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    I really didn't see it that way. In fact kind of the opposite, I saw us lose the lead because guys were being aggressive and turning it over. Guards driving in with no where to go and bigs getting pockets picked by help defender.
    YUP...maybe they just need to play smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Yes that point could be made…………. could you see another persons point………. if…… big if Coach would have been more aggressive utilizing substitutions before during and after Time outs so players didn't get so fatigued by the end of the game? If that happened and if we won couldn't we maybe give credit to coach for the win because players remained fresh because of aggressive rotation based on extended rest utilized around time outs? Maybe?
    In this game I agree. I think he should have played Edwards more in the 2nd half and sat KW. But that is is a tough call to make in the heat of the moment with how KW has played all year. Other than that there are not a lot of options on that bench after Meslon and Alberts. Other than KW I thought most of the players looked pretty good at the end and would have liked our chances had it gone to OT.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Although it seemed obvious to me they were holding the ball starting at 10:00 minutes...

They were terrified to play defense, both bc of short bench and cheap calls early and late (see Sabonis - if that isn't an obvious ref trying to influence game, not sure what is)

But, had 2 shots to win.

Snake bit.

Team just has everything in their head now.

If win at SMU I suppose we could contemplate a bid.

Otherwise, all good things must end.
    In my humble yet most honest of opinions...........it will take NINE (9) defeats to keep us out of the NCAA Tournament. We have five right now. So if we lose 3 more before the WCC Tournament then we will have to try for the Auto Bid. The chances of us losing three more before the WCC Tourney is slim. I would say the percentages are with 8 losses there is a 89.40% chance we get an At- Large if we get beat in the WCC Tourney. It seems to me through my calculations we fall slightly under 40.89% with that additional loss (making NINE). Of course all the math changes with an SMU win. They looked average at best against Houston the other night. The issue here really falls on the fact there is plenty of WEAK SAUCE out there on the bubble. Name recognition will score us points galore also.

Also even if we remarkably miss the tourney it will all be just a great learning experience for the coaches and team. Patience is key. No need to stress out at all. NIT is not the end of the world either. Miami went to the NIT final last year and is now ranked #15. In Mark Few we trust no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
    In my humble yet most honest of opinions...........it will take NINE (9) defeats to keep us out of the NCAA Tournament. We have five right now. So if we lose 3 more before the WCC Tournament then we will have to try for the Auto Bid. The chances of us losing three more before the WCC Tourney is slim. I would say the percentages are with 8 losses there is a 89.40% chance we get an At- Large if we get beat in the WCC Tourney. It seems to me through my calculations we fall slightly under 40.89% with that additional loss (making NINE). Of course all the math changes with an SMU win. They looked average at best against Houston the other night. The issue here really falls on the fact there is plenty of WEAK SAUCE out there on the bubble. Name recognition will score us points galore also.

Also even if we remarkably miss the tourney it will all be just a great learning experience for the coaches and team. Patience is key. No need to stress out at all. NIT is not the end of the world either. Miami went to the NIT final last year and is now ranked #15. In Mark Few we trust no matter what happens.
    Pretty close to what I think but I think w/ 8 losses there is a CHANCE that zags get left out. with 7 losses I feel comfortable for an at-large. Well, it will make all the remaining games very meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The problem is he has no one to substitute with. Alberts and Melson should not be playing on a Top 25 level team IMO. Edwards can get you some decent minutes. Otherwise you are down to walkons.
    Alberts and Melson aren't playing on a Top 25 level team ... so we're good then? Agree that Edwards could (AND SHOULD) be utilized more...

At least there are no more Free Alberts and Free Melson threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Its when we blew huge lead. Its not like its a new thing this year. I get sick thinking of mariners in 2001 with 116 wins only to lose to blah blah team.
    My worst memory of the 2001 Mariners was travelling 3 hours and seeing them lose the 3 games I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    At least there are no more Free Alberts and Free Melson threads
    I think Alberts could use a few more minutes. Re-watching the game I noticed Alberts played about 15 possessions and touched the ball twice. It's just really hard to score when you are the 6th or seventh option on offense. Tough to assist a teammate as well. I also noticed he did not allow the man he was guarding to score. When it comes to depth, I'm talking about some of the players like Sabonis, Wiltjer, Emac and KD getting an extra few minutes of rest per game. Any sub coming in would probably help. I saw a player that seemed to move well without the ball and playing decent defense and never gets a touch. It could be the other player's have no confidence in BA or it could just be a coaching decision.

If I am way off base, I can take some constructive criticism. Seems like, often times we are always playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end, and on the defensive end, players are way too fatigued to guard effectively for fear of fouling.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelZag View Post
    My worst memory of the 2001 Mariners was travelling 3 hours and seeing them lose the 3 games I went to.
    Ugh. They win more then lose when I go..should move to west side. Lol
    Love the zags for life