Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: LOOK AT NEXT SEASONS HYPOTHETICAL LINEUP

Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.
    I'm just trying to understand how you could have that many typos for "Karnowski" in your post?

Who's this Parnowski player you speak of?
    Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.

Ha. I posted mine without seeing yours. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm just trying to understand how you could have that many typos for "Karnowski" in your post?

Default Collins is not 6-9

He's at least 6-11... And a better rim protector than anyone else currently in the program.
    He certainly needs to add good weight, but that young man will help immediately...
    Hopefully off the bench as that would likely mean Shem or Domas, or both, are back.
    Last edited by ZAG 4 LIFE; 02-25-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.

I still like this year's team.

It's a long long off-season, we've got a game tonight.

Not saying there's something wrong with looking to next year. I just can't think of next year outside the context of this one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It will take a ton of very persuasive posting to ever convince me that Karno is not The Key. I'm convinced we'd be at worst a 2 or 3 loss team this year if Karno had been playing. And remember, his value goes far beyond his statistical contributions.
    Some of that is just what teams CAN'T do if he's in there, things that don't necessarily show up in the stats. Even more important is Karno the person. Emotion. Leadership. Team Player. Maturity. Karno's mere presence on the court changes everything
    for the better. Period
    Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 02-25-2016 at 09:20 AM.

I agree DixieZag. There were a a lot of years even decades where the Zags never won 20 game in a season. Be thankful for what we have and never take it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.
    Yep.

With his ability to track the release of the ball and his discipline against one-on-one offensive moves, he may end up being one of the better strong side, one-on-one shot blockers, too. I am a fan of J3.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    As excited as I am for Collins, lets remember this is done against high schoolers. He hasn't played a single minute of D1 hoops, while Karnowski has 3+ years under his belt.
    I've watched him in videos and he has excellent skills and will make a fine Zag; however, I want to see him play in the McD's game and see how he handles those "big boys" and as SNW stated, he has not played a single minute of D1 ball. That isn't saying he won't excel his freshman season but he is an unknown with one heck-of-an upside!!! If PK does come back, he will not start over him! IF both PK and DS come back those two will start at the PF and C positions, with JWIII either starting at the SF or coming off the bench...YES those are big IF's...

Directly from espn:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...school?id=2250
    Zach Collins
    Video | Scouts Report
    [ESPN 100]
    #5 C Las Vegas, NV
    Bishop Gorman High School 6'9'' 220

Is ZC the first Burger Boy who is not a five star anywhere? Gimme a break

Directly from espn:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...school?id=2250
    Zach Collins
    Video | Scouts Report
    [ESPN 100]
    #5 C Las Vegas, NV
    Bishop Gorman High School 6'9'' 220
    What does Scout and Rivals list him as? What's BG's roster hav him as? When was ESPNs profile compiled and last updated? 24 7 sports has him at 6'11". Meehan has him in his recent article at 6'11 and 1/2". http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-vegas-gives/

People are either going to be shocked or pleasantly surprised by JWill the 3rd. I don't know if some have just forgotten about him or don't realize how good he is. I'm definitely looking forward to the incoming freshman but our best "new" players next year will be Goss and WilliamsIII.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I actually don't think it's that uncommon. Feel like I've seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Still some time to be awarded a 5-star.

I think these are all of the All-Americans since 2010 without a 5-star in their final rankings:

2012 Butler commit Tyler Lewis
    2011 Duke commit Quinn Cook
    2011 Duke commit Marshall Plumlee
    2011 Ohio State commit Shannon Scott
    2011 Ohio State commit Amir Williams
    2011 LSU commit Johnny O'Bryant
    2010 Villanova commit JayVaughn Pinkston

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    What does Scout and Rivals list him as? What's BG's roster hav him as? When was ESPNs profile compiled and last updated? 24 7 sports has him at 6'11". Meehan has him in his recent article at 6'11 and 1/2". http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-vegas-gives/
    Zach's dad shared that Zach measured in at over 7'0" in shoes the day before his final AAU game July 25, 2015:

https://twitter.com/TandZsdad/status/625421288232783872

Mike Collins ‏@TandZsdad 26 Jul 2015
    A parting gift to the #zagnation yesterday's measure with shoes��

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Still some time to be awarded a 5-star.

I think these are all of the All-Americans since 2010 without a 5-star in their final rankings:

2012 Butler commit Tyler Lewis
    2011 Duke commit Quinn Cook
    2011 Duke commit Marshall Plumlee
    2011 Ohio State commit Shannon Scott
    2011 Ohio State commit Amir Williams
    2011 LSU commit Johnny O'Bryant
    2010 Villanova commit JayVaughn Pinkston
    Nice work, Lee. Seems like something was awry in 2011. Still, an unusual occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Zach's dad shared that Zach measured in at over 7'0" in shoes the day before his final AAU game July 25, 2015:

https://twitter.com/TandZsdad/status/625421288232783872

I had one of those for my bb playing sons and now I have one for the g-kids. Good stuff Papa C. Don't ever paint it over.

Regardless of how tall he is, I'm glad we have him. But he still needs to bulk up & get use to D1 competition. I expect him to be very good in 2 years. I would rather a Sabonis & Karnowski for next year & Zach coming off the bench. If we can get Sabonis & Karnowski to return, Zach, & better guard play, then I think we can be very good again next year.

Yes, I would love to see PK and Sabonis return. With them coming back we are a REALLY good team. If one comes back we are still going to be a REALLY good team but we will have some growing pains. And lastly if neither come back we will have a super solid team and by the end of the year, I still think that they can make a solid run in March. Without them Few and company will have to recognize more the strengths that we do have and play accordingly. GOZAGS. Win tonight and win the tournament. Cannot make it this year, but am already planning on next year.

Regardless of how tall he is, I'm glad we have him. But he still needs to bulk up & get use to D1 competition. I expect him to be very good in 2 years. I would rather a Sabonis & Karnowski for next year & Zach coming off the bench. If we can get Sabonis & Karnowski to return, Zach, & better guard play, then I think we can be very good again next year.
    Being listed 7'0 has some cache. Maybe some psyche advantage. "They have 2 7' footers" sounds cool.

They all need to bulk up, bulk doesn't really come till about 20-26, but I expect him to be great next year, even if coming off the bench, he'll be part of a 3 man rotation at the 4-5.

But, we play BYU tonight with something on the line.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.