Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 148 of 148

Thread: LOOK AT NEXT SEASONS HYPOTHETICAL LINEUP

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

    Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

    For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

    As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

    In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.
    I'm just trying to understand how you could have that many typos for "Karnowski" in your post?

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Who's this Parnowski player you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

    Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

    For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

    As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

    In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Ha. I posted mine without seeing yours. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm just trying to understand how you could have that many typos for "Karnowski" in your post?

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    268

    Default Collins is not 6-9

    Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

    Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

    For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

    As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

    In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.

    He's at least 6-11... And a better rim protector than anyone else currently in the program.
    He certainly needs to add good weight, but that young man will help immediately...
    Hopefully off the bench as that would likely mean Shem or Domas, or both, are back.
    Last edited by ZAG 4 LIFE; 02-25-2016 at 02:13 PM.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,359

    Default

    I still like this year's team.

    It's a long long off-season, we've got a game tonight.

    Not saying there's something wrong with looking to next year. I just can't think of next year outside the context of this one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    It will take a ton of very persuasive posting to ever convince me that Karno is not The Key. I'm convinced we'd be at worst a 2 or 3 loss team this year if Karno had been playing. And remember, his value goes far beyond his statistical contributions.
    Some of that is just what teams CAN'T do if he's in there, things that don't necessarily show up in the stats. Even more important is Karno the person. Emotion. Leadership. Team Player. Maturity. Karno's mere presence on the court changes everything
    for the better. Period
    Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 02-25-2016 at 09:20 AM.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    I agree DixieZag. There were a a lot of years even decades where the Zags never won 20 game in a season. Be thankful for what we have and never take it for granted.

  9. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.
    Yep.

  10. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.
    With his ability to track the release of the ball and his discipline against one-on-one offensive moves, he may end up being one of the better strong side, one-on-one shot blockers, too. I am a fan of J3.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    As excited as I am for Collins, lets remember this is done against high schoolers. He hasn't played a single minute of D1 hoops, while Karnowski has 3+ years under his belt.
    I've watched him in videos and he has excellent skills and will make a fine Zag; however, I want to see him play in the McD's game and see how he handles those "big boys" and as SNW stated, he has not played a single minute of D1 ball. That isn't saying he won't excel his freshman season but he is an unknown with one heck-of-an upside!!! If PK does come back, he will not start over him! IF both PK and DS come back those two will start at the PF and C positions, with JWIII either starting at the SF or coming off the bench...YES those are big IF's...

  12. #137

    Default

    Directly from espn:

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...school?id=2250
    Zach Collins
    Video | Scouts Report
    [ESPN 100]
    #5 C Las Vegas, NV
    Bishop Gorman High School 6'9'' 220

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,492

    Default

    Is ZC the first Burger Boy who is not a five star anywhere? Gimme a break

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Directly from espn:

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...school?id=2250
    Zach Collins
    Video | Scouts Report
    [ESPN 100]
    #5 C Las Vegas, NV
    Bishop Gorman High School 6'9'' 220
    What does Scout and Rivals list him as? What's BG's roster hav him as? When was ESPNs profile compiled and last updated? 24 7 sports has him at 6'11". Meehan has him in his recent article at 6'11 and 1/2". http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-vegas-gives/

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Jonathan Williams is in the program. He might be the best weak side shot blocker GU has had since Ronny Turiaf.
    People are either going to be shocked or pleasantly surprised by JWill the 3rd. I don't know if some have just forgotten about him or don't realize how good he is. I'm definitely looking forward to the incoming freshman but our best "new" players next year will be Goss and WilliamsIII.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is ZC the first Burger Boy who is not a five star anywhere? Gimme a break
    I actually don't think it's that uncommon. Feel like I've seen it before.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is ZC the first Burger Boy who is not a five star anywhere? Gimme a break
    Still some time to be awarded a 5-star.

    I think these are all of the All-Americans since 2010 without a 5-star in their final rankings:

    2012 Butler commit Tyler Lewis
    2011 Duke commit Quinn Cook
    2011 Duke commit Marshall Plumlee
    2011 Ohio State commit Shannon Scott
    2011 Ohio State commit Amir Williams
    2011 LSU commit Johnny O'Bryant
    2010 Villanova commit JayVaughn Pinkston

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    What does Scout and Rivals list him as? What's BG's roster hav him as? When was ESPNs profile compiled and last updated? 24 7 sports has him at 6'11". Meehan has him in his recent article at 6'11 and 1/2". http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-vegas-gives/
    Zach's dad shared that Zach measured in at over 7'0" in shoes the day before his final AAU game July 25, 2015:

    https://twitter.com/TandZsdad/status/625421288232783872

    Mike Collins ‏@TandZsdad 26 Jul 2015
    A parting gift to the #zagnation yesterday's measure with shoes��



  19. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Still some time to be awarded a 5-star.

    I think these are all of the All-Americans since 2010 without a 5-star in their final rankings:

    2012 Butler commit Tyler Lewis
    2011 Duke commit Quinn Cook
    2011 Duke commit Marshall Plumlee
    2011 Ohio State commit Shannon Scott
    2011 Ohio State commit Amir Williams
    2011 LSU commit Johnny O'Bryant
    2010 Villanova commit JayVaughn Pinkston
    Nice work, Lee. Seems like something was awry in 2011. Still, an unusual occurrence.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Zach's dad shared that Zach measured in at over 7'0" in shoes the day before his final AAU game July 25, 2015:

    https://twitter.com/TandZsdad/status/625421288232783872

    I had one of those for my bb playing sons and now I have one for the g-kids. Good stuff Papa C. Don't ever paint it over.

  21. #146

    Default

    Regardless of how tall he is, I'm glad we have him. But he still needs to bulk up & get use to D1 competition. I expect him to be very good in 2 years. I would rather a Sabonis & Karnowski for next year & Zach coming off the bench. If we can get Sabonis & Karnowski to return, Zach, & better guard play, then I think we can be very good again next year.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Yes, I would love to see PK and Sabonis return. With them coming back we are a REALLY good team. If one comes back we are still going to be a REALLY good team but we will have some growing pains. And lastly if neither come back we will have a super solid team and by the end of the year, I still think that they can make a solid run in March. Without them Few and company will have to recognize more the strengths that we do have and play accordingly. GOZAGS. Win tonight and win the tournament. Cannot make it this year, but am already planning on next year.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Regardless of how tall he is, I'm glad we have him. But he still needs to bulk up & get use to D1 competition. I expect him to be very good in 2 years. I would rather a Sabonis & Karnowski for next year & Zach coming off the bench. If we can get Sabonis & Karnowski to return, Zach, & better guard play, then I think we can be very good again next year.
    Being listed 7'0 has some cache. Maybe some psyche advantage. "They have 2 7' footers" sounds cool.

    They all need to bulk up, bulk doesn't really come till about 20-26, but I expect him to be great next year, even if coming off the bench, he'll be part of a 3 man rotation at the 4-5.

    But, we play BYU tonight with something on the line.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •