Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LOOK AT NEXT SEASONS HYPOTHETICAL LINEUP

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Josh Perkins was my MVP tonight. Nice game JP.

34 minutes for Perkins tonight.
    Last night was the first time I saw Josh try to put the team on his shoulders and look like he could do it. This game kind of reminds me of the NCAA loss to Arizona where Karno nearly carried the team. A light bulb turned on for Karno with that game.

I hope this game does the same for Josh. He needs to get out of the mentality of trying to prove he is a leader and just go be the leader. It was really good to see him play in a desperate situation and step up.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

No chance.

And we still wouldn't have a guard that doesn't get blown by every time down court by slow white boy's

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Last night was the first time I saw Josh try to put the team on his shoulders and look like he could do it. This game kind of reminds me of the NCAA loss to Arizona where Karno nearly carried the team. A light bulb turned on for Karno with that game.

I hope this game does the same for Josh. He needs to get out of the mentality of trying to prove he is a leader and just go be the leader. It was really good to see him play in a desperate situation and step up.
    Liked the way he played. He and the team will be a success down the road to the extent he largely ignores Few's hand wringing, blank affect, in game coaching style -- like all the great Zag guards did –- and just play. He has the second best shot on the team and he can score from all over the court. He will never be a ball handling wizard and that's fine. Next year he is at the two.

Default LOST SEASON, PRAY FOR THE NEAR FUTURE

Dear fellow Zag fans,

This season started out with such high hopes. Returning 2 All-American prospects & 3 potential NBA players & ranked in the top 10. The lost of Przemek Karnowski was a real killer for this team. As good as Sabonis is in rebounding & inside moves, he is not a rim protector. Teams score at will at the rim once they got pass our guards. We now have 4 home losses, no signature wins and no wins against the RPI top 25, 1-3 against the top 50 and a dismal 2-7 against the top 100. Given the parity in college basketball this year, there are so many teams with signature wins that we have a zero chance of getting an at-large bid. If we want to get into the NCAA tournament, we must win the WCC tournament. It is as simple as that. The upcoming game against BYU is actually meaningless as far as getting into the NCAA. Whether we end up seated 2 or 3 in the WCC tournament, we must beat both BYU & St. Mary's to get into the NCAA tournament. The guys need to step up & do it.

Aside from Kyle Wiltjer, this team lacks consistent jump shooters. In the first half of the year, Wiltjer & Sabonis dominated opponents even against quality teams, but the Zags loss a lot of games down the stretch when these two got tired. In the second half, teams have adjusted & double or triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis frequently and forced the guards to beat them. As such, Wiltjer & Sabonis' numbers went down & the guard numbers went up but not enough against the better teams.

Wiltjer may be playing himself out of the NBA draft. We already know that he is non-athletic, a poor rebounder & a poor defender. His asset was that he is a very skilled shooter inside & out. Against top competition in the first half of the year, he shot 50.5% FG's & 43% 3-pt'ers. In the second half of the year against top competition, he is shooting only 32.9% FG's & a dismal 23.5% 3-pt'ers, ouch.
    He has not done well against the double team & at this rate, he's likely not going to get drafted by the NBA unless he reverses this trend in tournament play.

Sabonis, on the other hand, may be a NBA first rounder. He is relentless on the boards & have NBA inside skills. At the next level, he needs to develop a consistent jump shot. If he does, he can be a good NBA player; if he doesn't, he will just be a role player. We Zag fans better pray that he decides to stay at Gonzaga to work on his jumper & defense.

Our guards are not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Perkins has improved offensively, but is not a playmaker for other players & not a good defender. There is not a good jump shooter, playmaker, or good defender in all the other guards combine.

Outlook for next year: Pray that Sabonis stays & that Karnowski comes back strong. But even if they both come back strong, we need someone to emerge as a scorer and playmaker. Once, Wiljter is gone, we will have no consistent scorer on the team for next year. If you think this year is bad, if Sabonis does not stay & Karnowski's back problems doesn't resolve, GU may be in for a total rebuild next year.

Yes there are good new players coming, but it is going to take a few years to get them acclimated.
    Our best bet is for a 5th year senior transfer like Byron Wesley, who can step in & play right away.

With all due respect, the season is not over. You can start wringing your hands withe the final buzzer sounds of our last game.

Until then, you keep fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Our best bet is for a 5th year senior transfer like Byron Wesley, who can step in & play right away.
    What's wrong with the McDonald's All American, All Pac 12 (and former Pac 12 freshman of the year) that's on our roster now? He will be eligible to play next season. Is he not good enough for you?
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Der Bingle........I'm open to a 5th year all star joining us. Few is too. Nothing wrong with one joining us like Wes did. I don't know who it might be but it always happens when the season is over. If, for example, Few finds one to go along with Goss/Josh or any combination, why not? We're here to get the best talent on the court. WHo knows who might already be in discussion? Usually after the season ends.......which is my preference.

++ 1000

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    With all due respect, the season is not over. You can start wringing your hands withe the final buzzer sounds of our last game.

I think next year we have some scorers..Perkins will be improved as well as Melson. The verdict will be out for Zach Collins and Norvell but the potential will be there. Also NWG is a potent scorer and Jonathen Williams the Mizzou transfer was the leading scorer and rebounder on his squad before transferring to GU. I like who we have on the roster and who we have coming in and that's without Sabonis and Karnowski because we don't know what the status is on those two.

This season is not dead yet. We have a chance to win the WCC tournament, I'm not as confident this year but if we can string a few games together we have as good of chance as any to get the automatic bid.

This is uncharted territory and a down team and fanbase right now but we will bounce back. This is a reality check for ZagNation that we will not just walk into the NCAA every year, just ask the Tar Heels and look at the History of that program. I don't remember what year they didn't make it but pretty recent.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Der Bingle........I'm open to a 5th year all star joining us. Few is too. Nothing wrong with one joining us like Wes did. I don't know who it might be but it always happens when the season is over. If, for example, Few finds one to go along with Goss/Josh or any combination, why not? We're here to get the best talent on the court. WHo knows who might already be in discussion? Usually after the season ends.......which is my preference.
    I love the thought of getting a Wesley type that would help.

To me, the writer of that long post didn't seem to realize that NWG was even on the roster. I am not sure how many McD AA's that are all league in a Power 5 Conference would show up at Gonzaga as a "graduate" transfer. We already have someone who should help ... And who I think is our "best bet".
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

100. Thread reminds me of zag fans piling out before the last buzzer.

How many Zag fans turned off the game we played in San Francisco this season? Never know till the final buzzer

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    How many Zag fans turned off the game we played in San Francisco this season? Never know till the final buzzer
    That game was the first time I wanted to do that. Still didn't but you're right. You never know.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

My mother tells me that Karno will be doing a radio interview tonight at 6:30 pm. Is he expected to announce his decision re: where to play next year? I haven't seen anything about this here, so perhaps she is mistaken or perhaps referring to a tape-delay of some other interview he gave? Supposed to be on KPQ in Wenatchee.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    That game was the first time I wanted to do that. Still didn't but you're right. You never know.
    I admit to shutting down the DVR with a minute to go, and I erased the recording. Even if we made a complete comeback, it was not worth watching it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwhsu View Post
    Dear fellow Zag fans,

This season started out with such high hopes. Returning 2 All-American prospects & 3 potential NBA players & ranked in the top 10. The lost of Przemek Karnowski was a real killer for this team. As good as Sabonis is in rebounding & inside moves, he is not a rim protector. Teams score at will at the rim once they got pass our guards. We now have 4 home losses, no signature wins and no wins against the RPI top 25, 1-3 against the top 50 and a dismal 2-7 against the top 100. Given the parity in college basketball this year, there are so many teams with signature wins that we have a zero chance of getting an at-large bid. If we want to get into the NCAA tournament, we must win the WCC tournament. It is as simple as that. The upcoming game against BYU is actually meaningless as far as getting into the NCAA. Whether we end up seated 2 or 3 in the WCC tournament, we must beat both BYU & St. Mary's to get into the NCAA tournament. The guys need to step up & do it.

Aside from Kyle Wiltjer, this team lacks consistent jump shooters. In the first half of the year, Wiltjer & Sabonis dominated opponents even against quality teams, but the Zags loss a lot of games down the stretch when these two got tired. In the second half, teams have adjusted & double or triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis frequently and forced the guards to beat them. As such, Wiltjer & Sabonis' numbers went down & the guard numbers went up but not enough against the better teams.

Wiltjer may be playing himself out of the NBA draft. We already know that he is non-athletic, a poor rebounder & a poor defender. His asset was that he is a very skilled shooter inside & out. Against top competition in the first half of the year, he shot 50.5% FG's & 43% 3-pt'ers. In the second half of the year against top competition, he is shooting only 32.9% FG's & a dismal 23.5% 3-pt'ers, ouch.
    He has not done well against the double team & at this rate, he's likely not going to get drafted by the NBA unless he reverses this trend in tournament play.

Sabonis, on the other hand, may be a NBA first rounder. He is relentless on the boards & have NBA inside skills. At the next level, he needs to develop a consistent jump shot. If he does, he can be a good NBA player; if he doesn't, he will just be a role player. We Zag fans better pray that he decides to stay at Gonzaga to work on his jumper & defense.

Our guards are not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Perkins has improved offensively, but is not a playmaker for other players & not a good defender. There is not a good jump shooter, playmaker, or good defender in all the other guards combine.

Outlook for next year: Pray that Sabonis stays & that Karnowski comes back strong. But even if they both come back strong, we need someone to emerge as a scorer and playmaker. Once, Wiljter is gone, we will have no consistent scorer on the team for next year. If you think this year is bad, if Sabonis does not stay & Karnowski's back problems doesn't resolve, GU may be in for a total rebuild next year.

Yes there are good new players coming, but it is going to take a few years to get them acclimated.
    You make some good points, but a couple of things you said are head scratchers. First, KW was never going to get drafted by NBA. I have not seen one mock draft that showed him getting picked. He will play pro somewhere though, because 6-10 kids that shoot like him are rare, it just isn't likely to be in NBA where he just cant defend those types of athletes.
    Secondly, the ByU game is very meaningful. St Mary's may stumble against USF on the road which would allow Zags to win league. You also don't want to let them get the sweep. It is a pride thing.
    Also, JP is shooting 50% from behind the Arc and leads the WCC in that category. That alone would qualify him as a "good jump shooter".
    Agree that if Sabonis can develop an NBA range outside shot he will be a real good NBA player, maybe even a starter
    One thing that I am sure is on St Mary's mind is that they have played themselves into a matchup with the one team that has their number, Pepperdine. Don't be shocked if it's a Gonzaga Pepperdine final in Vegas

thank you it is amazing how the "loser" mentality of "wait till next year" comes out when there is still meaningful basketball to be played....or is that the definition of fair weather fans?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Not sure why everyone is stoked to get Karnowski back for next year. We have a MacDonalds All American coming in who is a better rebounder, better shot-blocker, and better scorer. Karn is our worst free-throw shooter, led the team in turnovers in his last year and constantly misses bunnies that Zack would just flush. Collins did not come here to play 10 minutes a game.
    If both Shem and Dom return next year Edwards will be gone. Guaranteed.
    Melson will not be back. A couple of mediocre games instead of his usual stinkers will not change his status.
    Few will be on the hunt for a couple of grad transfers that can play the 2 or 3. Williams is not a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Not sure why everyone is stoked to get Karnowski back for next year. We have a MacDonalds All American coming in who is a better rebounder, better shot-blocker, and better scorer. Karn is our worst free-throw shooter, led the team in turnovers in his last year and constantly misses bunnies that Zack would just flush. Collins did not come here to play 10 minutes a game.
    Melson will not be back. A couple of mediocre games instead of his usual stinkers will not change his status.
    Few will be on the hunt for a couple of grad transfers that can play the 2 or 3. Williams is not a 3.
    Melson isn't coming back? Can you back that up?

For Ryan Edwards to transfer to a D1 school, he would need to sit out a year and have 1 year remaining. I don't see that happening. Maybe after he graduates, he might move on for his final year.

For you to disparage Karnowski is just ignorant.

As excited as I am for Collins, lets remember this is done against high schoolers. He hasn't played a single minute of D1 hoops, while Karnowski has 3+ years under his belt.

Thanks Debbie. ZC is not starting over Shem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    thank you it is amazing how the "loser" mentality of "wait till next year" comes out when there is still meaningful basketball to be played....or is that the definition of fair weather fans?
    Idk about fair weather fans or just quitters. Or excuse to not be so upset about the "letdown" of a season is. It could be a, b or c. I'm in it from day 1 to final day with all my teams. I'm not saying I'm a better fan but that's my team.

I'm with mariners all the way and they suck. Maybe its how peoples feelings are when hurting. I just feel bad for this team at 21-7 and multiple games left that we are done with them.

Goodness. Melson is gone after 2 years? Karno isn't worth it? You realize with karno we are a final 4 team this year and most likely a 1 seed. He had one of the be post defenses in NCAA last year. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Melson isn't coming back? Can you back that up?

For Ryan Edwards to transfer to a D1 school, he would need to sit out a year and have 1 year remaining. I don't see that happening. Maybe after he graduates, he might move on for his final year.

For you to disparage Karnowski is just ignorant.
    Truth

Reply to all you bashers. I'm not giving up on the season. In fact, I think we will win the WCC tournament. I'm juist saying that if we had Karnowski, we would have won some if not most of our close losses & be a top 25 team. (not sure about a final 4 team, we still don't have elite guard play.) He's a rim protector, can score, & can give some rest for Wiltjer & Sabonis to finish games better.

Those of you who think our guards are good are crazy. What have you been watching all year. All the other teams strategized to exploit our guard play, double & triple team Wiltjer & Sabonis, & force our guards to beat them. Perkins is serviceable but not elite. Melson is bad. Few needs to find some guards next year. Nigel Williams-Goss will take Melson's spot next year, can be a consistent scorer, but only shot 25% 3P's last year. I do like him. But we still need a wing shooter like we had in Byron Wesley and a playmaker that can shoot the 3's like Pangos & many others we had in the past. If we can get that, teams can not longer sag on our big men.

For us to be good next year, we need Sabonis & Parnowski. Zach Collins is highly touted, but he's only 6'9" and lanky and undersize to be a dominant center. He'll need to bulk up & can be very good in a couple of years. You can't expect a freshman to be better than 2 dominant upperclassmen. Ryan Edwards is not a good D1 player. Without Sabonis & Parnowski, next year will be trying, but we'll be much better in 2 years.

As for Wiltjer, I agree that he's not on anybody's NBA mock draft. But in the beginning of the year, he was touted as a potential Player of the Year. I think if we had Parnowski & better guard play, he would have been able to duplicate last year's stats & would be drafted by the NBA despite his woeful defensive skills.

In summary, I believe we will win the WCC tournament & if Sabonis & Parnowski comes back & help nurture Zach Colling, & if Few can pull a rabbit (5th year transfer) out of his hat to play point guard, then I think we can be very good next year.