Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Portland post game thread

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I was starting to flash back to last week when we were up by 20 but it was down to a single digit lead right at the end. Yes two teams are out there trying to win but we have got to finish stronger, harder, better.
    I never thought for a moment that Portland would cut the lead to a single possession even when the Pilots went on that late run. Our kids have matured a lot since the early weeks of the season when they would build huge leads, but fail to protect them. They are more patient on offense. They commit fewer sloppy turnovers. Their shot selection has improved. They are hitting free throws. Those are all keys to protecting a lead. Even though Portland cut the lead from 18 to 9, I never saw a hint of panic from the Zags. They continued to take good shots with confidence. They missed a few of those shots, but did enough to finish off their opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Heister has a jousting, one-ups-manship personality. He puts people down in the name of what he thinks is humorous. It is disagreeable to have to listen to him. Somebody in his family must be a huge donor, to have a guy his age acting like a jerk, more or less consistently, and not getting canned. I like his Mark Few show, however, where he is a single host, rather than part of a sportscasting team. To outsiders it is proof that Spokane is basically rural and not cosmopolitan. Corny does not fly well in bigger cities, where professionalism is demanded.
    When Hesiter did a game recently for ESPN, he was fine. When working alongside Dickau and Fox he does the jousting, put-down kind of schtick and just acts like a middle-school kid trying to prove he belongs in the cool kid clique. It is very annoying and sort of an embarrassment to G.U.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    1-9 between our 3 guards who are supposed to be our Ninja shooters? If you are happy with them shooting 1-9 than good for you.
    since when have any of this year's zag guards been expected to be "ninja" shooters reborn??? everyone knew outside shooting from the guards was going to be an issue, or those who didn't at the start of the season certainly do now. they need to be better than 1-9 but what the stats don't tell you is that they were all basically good shots and several rimmed out. zags needed the layoff but i thought they looked a little off at times...expect a much better showing against byu...and will need it from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Yup. Melson's box score line looked poor, but I really liked his overall game. Crisp passing, kept the ball moving in a way that forced the D to rotate, took good open shots in rhythm mostly, looked good on D, energetic effort I thought. Announcers said Few gave him two thumbs up for one open 3 that rimmed out. If he keeps playing like that, he just needs a few to drop to gain confidence again. I've been critical of his floor game and decisions; not last nite. I've started thinking he could be like Donald Watts at UW, who struggled badly his first 2 yrs and broke out as a jr on a sweet 16 team.
    I too thought Melson had a good (better) game. He's playing smarter. I really like the nose for steals that Melson, M2C and Drano have - Perkins too for that matter. The gang is going to get pretty well tested this Thursday against BYU. I don't think the Zags are going to take being beat at home by BYU twice in a row very kindly. I expect to see LOTS of passion on Thursday - especially with the students back in force. Could turn out to be the liveliest game thus far this season! Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    since when have any of this year's zag guards been expected to be "ninja" shooters reborn??? everyone knew outside shooting from the guards was going to be an issue, or those who didn't at the start of the season certainly do now. they need to be better than 1-9 but what the stats don't tell you is that they were all basically good shots and several rimmed out. zags needed the layoff but i thought they looked a little off at times...expect a much better showing against byu...and will need it from everyone.
    I call certain players, those who were recruited to shoot the three, Ninja shooters. For the Zags I would say Perkins, Melson for sure, Dranginis and Alberts. Too his credit, Melson I believe, did make one, and I think it was his first shot. I remember thinking, "Alright! Melson's going to hit some three's tonight."

I'm also glad to see that he did play better. I will never stop believing in him.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think the guards are playing better now and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt in the Portland game. I'll blame the Pilots for shooting 4-20. I got to believe that even you may agree that it is really hard to shoot when every 3pt shot, other than those of KW, are routinely clanking off the rim.