• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MileHigh View Post
    Barring some sort of serious injury, there is ZERO chance Sabonis stays in school. He is currently projected as a round one pick and has already been advised that "he is what he is" meaning he will not improve his stock by staying in college another year, and could possibly hurt his stock.
    Most NBA GM's subscribe to the philosophy that potential college upperclassman will develop faster as NBA back-ups, through practice and whatever minutes they can get, than they will playing against college kids for another year
    Not trying to equate skill level between Daye and Domas but both parents played in the NBA and have "money" so it wouldn't be money that drives Domas to the NBA. Daye, I believe was told his stock wouldn't rise anymore and he could have used one or two more years to mature and further hone his skill set. Daye is now out of the NBA and would have to put in tremendous work and have good fortune to get back anytime soon.

IMO, Domas enjoys the experience he is having at GU, where Daye obviously didn't. Daye had an ego much stronger than Domas, who is so much more of a team player. The NBA is laced with players having rather large egos - with a me first attitude and that isn't Domas.

I would think Domas stays another year and believe his father would tell him the same as long as he is enjoying college life with his TEAMMATES/extended family...IMHO that is...

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I wonder if Domas and family are focused focused on the NBA and big money. He can get that anytime depending how the "soft spots" in the NBA draft are. If I was him, I'd think about what happens next year.......Goss, Collins, his euro friends ( Tillie's just going to give this team a huge lift), Norvell , Williams, Kui and maybe Karno....
      It's a transition year we're in. Next year though I cannot see how we could NOT be a strong E8 team. .....but the choice is always up the player after thoughtful consideration. I do know education and a degree is a big goal for him. Domas will do what he does whether here or somewhere else. If he wants the money, there's little hope of him staying.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Barring some sort of serious injury, there is ZERO chance Sabonis stays in school. He is currently projected as a round one pick and has already been advised that "he is what he is" meaning he will not improve his stock by staying in college another year, and could possibly hurt his stock.
        Most NBA GM's subscribe to the philosophy that potential college upperclassman will develop faster as NBA back-ups, through practice and whatever minutes they can get, than they will playing against college kids for another year
        That's an outrageous claim to make, unless you're pals with Domantas and he has told you this directly.

Who knows what he may or may not be thinking and feeling regarding staying in college another year. Most likely, and hopefully, he is not thinking about it at all right now but will assess his options after this season.

I'd think the opportunity to be THE go-to player for the Zags next year would be a big attraction, as well as playing with a great influx of new talent and lead Zags to perhaps unprecedented heights...and maybe he really enjoys playing college ball and wants to savor it as long as he can before it becomes a "job." On the other hand, watching your senior teammate go down with a major back injury could sway him to go pro asap.
        Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Coach Crazy
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
          That's an outrageous claim to make, unless you're pals with Domantas and he has told you this directly.

Who knows what he may or may not be thinking and feeling regarding staying in college another year. Most likely, and hopefully, he is not thinking about it at all right now but will assess his options after this season.

I'd think the opportunity to be THE go-to player for the Zags next year would be a big attraction, as well as playing with a great influx of new talent and lead Zags to perhaps unprecedented heights...and maybe he really enjoys playing college ball and wants to savor it as long as he can before it becomes a "job." On the other hand, watching your senior teammate go down with a major back injury could sway him to go pro asap.
          So, based on the logic you introduced before the bolded statement, you're projecting your own expectations with the latter...

Comment

• Coach Crazy
            • Apr 2011

He's playing himself into a lottery pick. Lottery pick=gone.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
              So, based on the logic you introduced before the bolded statement, you're projecting your own expectations with the latter...
              A huge difference is one said 'zero chance' the other said 'I think..."

We all have our opinions. When it is presented as opinion, that is what it is. 'Zero chance' doesn't suggest or imply opinion.

If Domas is a potential lottery pick, he probably is gone, BUT, his family doesn't need the money and may actually want him to graduate/ Arvydas could certainly afford the injury insurance to protect his future. My opinion is...I don't know what the Sabonis family will decide, and I don't think you do either, but that's just my opinion.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                Zag for Life
                • May 2008

I'd do some research before making a claim like that. He isn't even sniffing the lottery this year. He is improving for sure, but he still lacks the athleticism the NBA wants to see. He also has things to continue to develop. There isn't one projection out there that sees him inside the Top 20 picks and I highly doubt he jumps much higher regardless. This isn't a slam on Domas, he is great, it's just the reality of it. I fully believe that the degree is the most important thing to the family as well.

He's playing himself into a lottery pick. Lottery pick=gone.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Point of my post is who knows what DS is going to do? it is ridiculous to claim "zero chance he will stay barring injury."
                  Last edited by kitzbuel; 12-27-2015, 04:22 PM.
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• cggonzaga
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

It's been mentioned many times by people on this board I know and trust that no matter what happens this year, and even next, Sabonis will graduate from Gonzaga. Until one of those people back off those statements that is what I'll believe.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                      Reading comprehension issues?
                      Point of my post is who knows what DS is going to do? it is ridiculous to claim "zero chance he will stay barring injury."
                      The bolded part of your statement started with "Id Think"

Comment

• ProjectMKUltra5
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                        I'd do some research before making a claim like that. He isn't even sniffing the lottery this year. He is improving for sure, but he still lacks the athleticism the NBA wants to see. He also has things to continue to develop. There isn't one projection out there that sees him inside the Top 20 picks and I highly doubt he jumps much higher regardless. This isn't a slam on Domas, he is great, it's just the reality of it. I fully believe that the degree is the most important thing to the family as well.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Comment

• gonzagabasketball
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ProjectMKUltra5 View Post

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk
                          and....http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

and....http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2...-murray-111915

and...http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2016-nba-mock-draft.html

and...http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Mock-Draft

Of course, these arent worth the paper they are printed on, and outside of Simmons being no. 1 Im sure youll see many of these players projected all over the top 20. But I think its generally considered that Sabonis is a fringe lottery pick as it stands with the likelyhood of him solidifying himself in the top half of the first round barring injury. Id say, whatever your goals may have been coming in as a freshmen, one has to consider carefully passing that up. Only time will tell.

Comment

• GUfan34
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                            It's been mentioned many times by people on this board I know and trust that no matter what happens this year, and even next, Sabonis will graduate from Gonzaga. Until one of those people back off those statements that is what I'll believe.
                            This isn't how the world works unfortunately. Not one person knows that... And to be honest, it wouldn't be in his best interest if he continues to dominate like this. He's an NBA player. Wasting 1 or 2 more years in college (something he can go back and do later in life) is pointless.

I don't know why some people think Gonzaga athletes are different. They aren't. They didn't come to Gonzaga to get an education, despite what you think. They came to play basketball and reach their dreams and goals of professional basketball. To pretend that their #1 goal, especially a stud like Sabonis, is to graduate is ignorance.

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by GUfan34 View Post
                              This isn't how the world works unfortunately. Not one person knows that... And to be honest, it wouldn't be in his best interest if he continues to dominate like this. He's an NBA player. Wasting 1 or 2 more years in college (something he can go back and do later in life) is pointless.

I don't know why some people think Gonzaga athletes are different. They aren't. They didn't come to Gonzaga to get an education, despite what you think. They came to play basketball and reach their dreams and goals of professional basketball. To pretend that their #1 goal, especially a stud like Sabonis, is to graduate is ignorance.
                              When the Sabonis family has said their want is for Domas to graduate, why are you calling them ignorant? He has already turned down a pro contract.

I'm not saying that he won't leave, I'm saying you don't know. You have an opinion, but are treating your opinion as fact. It isn't. It may become fact, but right now, you don't know.

Comment

• ProjectMKUltra5
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by GUfan34 View Post

You rustled some jimmies with that one

Comment

Working...
                                X