Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas A&M Transfer Elijah Thomas Considering GU

if he gets direction.
    You keep saying this Abe as if nobody is paying attention to him. I know for a fact the staff has worked extremely hard with him. He's improved ten fold since he's been here. But...he is what he is at this point. I don't think he can improve much more. And again, he's a fine player. There are just more talented players in the program and apparently more available out there.

We'll see about that. One thing I do notice about our kids is that once they learn, if they get some court time to implement the "lab practicals", they ascend to things we never predicted.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 12-26-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierZag View Post
    I recall you ripping this board for being nothing but homers and saying some derogatory things about mdabe. I'm glad a mod deleted it.
    So, you're a liar. Hopefully Santa left you coal!

Derogatory? I did no such thing, good lord.

I simply pointed out the great potential we saw out of Karnowski in his first ever game. Edwards hasn't ever shown anything. Simple. Not derogatory.

task tsk tsk 34. manners please!

Edwards played 6.1% of the minutes in 2014 and 15% of the minutes in 2016 season. The sample size is incredibly small.

The Eye Test:
    I liked what I saw from him from day 1. He is athletic. He's gotten even stronger. He has good touch and quite a bit of potential. What we need in order to determine whether he is a gamer is more game time opportunities. 6% of his only full season, and 15% of the first third of this season isn't enough. But he looks like he's worked hard. He looks like he has talent.

Opportunity:
    In order to be successful a player has to be given the opportunity. How many times have we seen back up quarterbacks, when finally given the chance to play, turn into very successful players. Or, more on point, how good of college basketball player was Swen Nater? He was an All-American in junior college and a very successful pro who was a dominate rebounder. However, he didn't do much as a Division 1 player. Mostly because he was Walton's backup and didn't get much of an opportunity to show what he can do. Edwards is playing behind Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnowski. There are some really good players that wouldn't have shown us anything more than Edwards because they too wouldn't have cracked the rotation.

And Stats:
    If we look at his tiny sample size stats Edwards has been a more efficient scorer, a better rebounder, and much better at drawing fouls and making them. He is about equal on (lack of) taking care of the ball and shot-blocking. He is considerably worse on assist percentage and fouling.

So my thoughts:
    1. The sample size is way too small.
    2. Edwards has done pretty well with the small amount of opportunity he has been given (at least statistically).
    3. I think he looks leaner and stronger this year, so I think given an opportunity at more minutes we might be talking about how well he used his redshirt year.
    4. I love Karno and hope he is back soon (but in the meantime maybe the staff will start to trust Edwards and give him a chance to succeed-or fail).

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Edwards played 6.1% of the minutes in 2014 and 15% of the minutes in 2016 season. The sample size is incredibly small.

The Eye Test:
    I liked what I saw from him from day 1. He is athletic. He's gotten even stronger. He has good touch and quite a bit of potential. What we need in order to determine whether he is a gamer is more game time opportunities. 6% of his only full season, and 15% of the first third of this season isn't enough. But he looks like he's worked hard. He looks like he has talent.

Opportunity:
    In order to be successful a player has to be given the opportunity. How many times have we seen back up quarterbacks, when finally given the chance to play, turn into very successful players. Or, more on point, how good of college basketball player was Swen Nater? He was an All-American in junior college and a very successful pro who was a dominate rebounder. However, he didn't do much as a Division 1 player. Mostly because he was Walton's backup and didn't get much of an opportunity to show what he can do. Edwards is playing behind Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnowski. There are some really good players that wouldn't have shown us anything more than Edwards because they too wouldn't have cracked the rotation.

And Stats:
    If we look at his tiny sample size stats Edwards has been a more efficient scorer, a better rebounder, and much better at drawing fouls and making them. He is about equal on (lack of) taking care of the ball and shot-blocking. He is considerably worse on assist percentage and fouling.

So my thoughts:
    1. The sample size is way too small.
    2. Edwards has done pretty well with the small amount of opportunity he has been given (at least statistically).
    3. I think he looks leaner and stronger this year, so I think given an opportunity at more minutes we might be talking about how well he used his redshirt year.
    4. I love Karno and hope he is back soon (but in the meantime maybe the staff will start to trust Edwards and give him a chance to succeed-or fail).
    Pretty much the way I see it. I'll add that he has fewer bad habits on the offense than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage. He can go with both hands and has a mid-range shot too. Karno after two years could still only go with his left hand. Karno is/was better defensively though. Karno had way, way more experience, Edwards didn't even play on the AAU circuit whereas Shem was playing on the Polish Nat'l U teams. As a Soph, Shem got a lot of run early in the season because Olynyk was suspended for 5 games IIRC. This board used to wail about Shem bringing the ball down too low and getting stripped. My glass is more than half full re Edwards.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by GUfan34 View Post
    So, you're a liar. Hopefully Santa left you coal!

Derogatory? I did no such thing, good lord.

I simply pointed out the great potential we saw out of Karnowski in his first ever game. Edwards hasn't ever shown anything. Simple. Not derogatory.
    I would not have deleted your post if that was all it contained.

Your post was deleted because in addition to what you state here ... you took two cheap shots ... one at mdabe80 and one at this Board.

Sure ... I could have sent you a PM politely asking you to tone down your rhetoric, but instead I just pulled the trigger and deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Pretty much the way I see it. I'll add that he has fewer bad habits on the offense than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage. He can go with both hands and has a mid-range shot too. Karno after two years could still only go with his left hand. Karno is/was better defensively though. Karno had way, way more experience, Edwards didn't even play on the AAU circuit whereas Shem was playing on the Polish Nat'l U teams. As a Soph, Shem got a lot of run early in the season because Olynyk was suspended for 5 games IIRC. This board used to wail about Shem bringing the ball down too low and getting stripped. My glass is more than half full re Edwards.
    My guess is that many of the Edwards detractors are "too young" to know about how kids can come in to a program ... develop ... and then become major contributors their Junior and Senior year. These days if folks aren't doing it from the get-go (Perkins anyone?) they get questioned and blasted.

Edwards was always going to take some time ... he played high school ball in Montana, he didn't play AAU ball and the first "real" coaching was received AFTER coming to Gonzaga. Much of his freshman year he was down with mono (and other ailments).

I like having him on this team ... and think he WILL prove to be a very good mainstay for this program.

Edwards is and always has been a project. He will play more in league and will get better with time. Due to the bad play of basically everybody on the team Few has had no choice but to play KW and Sabonis max minutes. The coaches see him everyday and know the capabilities. If he was able he would be playing.

For the most part, big men take longer to develop, often well into the mid-20s. They just don't pick up the finer points of the craft, such as footwork. Due to their height, they're able to dominate at an early age, which can hamper development.

All I know is there's at least 300 other NCAA schools that would love to have Ryan on their roster.

Rumor has it that Elijah Thomas is considering transferring to GU.

If all 8 of our players currently on Schollies go pro, either in the NBA, Europe or the D-League...we should have aplenty of scholarships available.

That said, I assume that the coaching staff knows what they are doing, talk to the current players and have honest give and take with them.

It would be nice if GU could preserve a scholarship next season for a graduate transfer who plays in the backcourt. You never know when another Damion Lee might emerge, and if that player would love to transfer to GU.......

You say we need a backcourt scholarship next year. But we have Melson, Perkins, Alberts, and William goss. Plus some solid walkons. Then the following year we get Wade. For the 3 we have possibly a foreign player. I think that we are very solid if no injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    You say we need a backcourt scholarship next year. But we have Melson, Perkins, Alberts, and William goss. Plus some solid walkons. Then the following year we get Wade. For the 3 we have possibly a foreign player. I think that we are very solid if no injuries.
    Please, let's not forget Zack Norvell who will be playing next year too...so we will have two juniors, two sophomores and one freshman plus the walk-ons...

Mybad. Yes, I knew we had one more guard but my 70 year old brain forgot. Thanks. Zach, please forgive me.

Guessing Ryan is not going beyond what his coaches are asking him to do at this point. Further the trust factor from the other players is in the more seasoned guys on the floor right now. I believe when Few thinks he is prepared and ready we will see a far more aggressive Edwards.
    Lots of good points here about his limited time and AAU etc. but we are spoiled having players like Shem and Bonus who had spent the summer playing toe to toe with European bigs.
    Here's to hoping Ryan gets the opportunity (play time) to have his breakout moment and silence the naysayers.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

It's one thing to have players, it's another to have really good or elite players. I suspect that you will see NWG and Perkins in the backcourt, but they really need to get someone at small forward who can give them 12 PPG, 5 RPG and shoot it from deep. I like Alberts a lot, but I am just not sure he is going to be ready next year to take on that kind of load. He probably needs another year. I'd like to get an experienced player for a year with a proven track record for scoring. A guy who brings it game after game on a consistent basis.

I can't see how Wade doesn't redshirt next year. He needs to. He has been away from organized basketball since the ice ages and needs to put on weight.

Unless Melson starts hitting open shots and starts bettering his shot selection, he's going to erode Few's trust in him. He also needs to toughen up mentally. He gets too down on himself when things don't go his way. His non-verbal behavior on the floor conveys it.

Not sure I agree CDC. I know Norvell will only be a freshman next year but between him and Alberts I think you get your 12 and 6 from the 3 spot. I think you get your 14-16ppg from Goss, 18-20ppg from Sabonis and 8-10ppg from Williams III and Perkins each. You just have to hope Melson steps up big time off the bench and Collins is ready from day 1 so that we have scoring off the bench. With the defense probably being even better next year I think that will be enough points.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's one thing to have players, it's another to have really good or elite players. I suspect that you will see NWG and Perkins in the backcourt, but they really need to get someone at small forward who can give them 12 PPG, 5 RPG and shoot it from deep. I like Alberts a lot, but I am just not sure he is going to be ready next year to take on that kind of load. He probably needs another year. I'd like to get an experienced player for a year with a proven track record for scoring. A guy who brings it game after game on a consistent basis.

I can't see how Wade doesn't redshirt next year. He needs to. He has been away from organized basketball since the ice ages and needs to put on weight.

Unless Melson starts hitting open shots and starts bettering his shot selection, he's going to erode Few's trust in him. He also needs to toughen up mentally. He gets too down on himself when things don't go his way. His non-verbal behavior on the floor conveys it.
    Jesse Wade won't be on campus until 2017.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Jesse Wade won't be on campus until 2017.
    My bad. But I still see him as redshirting in 2017. He will have been away from organized ball for too long.

Not sure I agree CDC. I know Norvell will only be a freshman next year but between him and Alberts I think you get your 12 and 6 from the 3 spot.
    I would rather get it through one high level player who can consistently bring it game after game and allow Alberts and Norvell to develop off the bench. I don't like the "by committee" approach. It can lead to problems and inconsistent rotations. I see Norvell as more of a shooting guard. I'd like a pure, 6-6'ish small forward scorer with proven experience and athleticism. Just for a year. A bridge player. I think the staff will go after one if one is available and they have an available schoolie. But he has to be really good.

NWG and JWIII will change everything. Either Melson will click on and start putting it together during league this year, or he wont, but soon enough there will be very little room for underdeveloped players in the back court. I maintain that there is a good possibility that we will actually need a front court transfer in the next two years and Elijah Thomas seems to fit the mold. We dont know what Larsen will bring but I expect him to get Edwards like minutes his first year. Collins WILL be ready, heck, he's ready now, but we need someone with at least a sniff of D1 style ball like Thomas could bring.

Oh and Wade is too smart to sit. I know we only look to BYU for how post mission players look and they usually go to school for a year then off to a mission, then back and Jesse went right out to the field, but the kid is incredible. People already think he is Pangos 2.0 which is unfair to either of them, but he will give a solid influence through his demeanor and work ethic and an on court contribution from day one that will just be too beneficial to ignore. His game is light years ahead of any normal freshman even after not playing organized ball for two years.

Cool Recruit Thomas Hard

The minimum 5-star player on ESPN's recruiting scale rates a 90. Elijah Thomas rated an 88. This fan says, "Recruit Elijah hard to Spokane." Once Sabonis finishes his junior year, if he opts for the NBA then, we'll have Jonathan Williams and Elijah Thomas (and several other stellar bigs) to fill in Domas' vacated spot.

This guy is big time. Let's get him to Zagsville.

:]

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba.../elijah-thomas
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Find it hard to believe Edwards plays over Sabonis, Williams or Collins next year.
    Barring some sort of serious injury, there is ZERO chance Sabonis stays in school. He is currently projected as a round one pick and has already been advised that "he is what he is" meaning he will not improve his stock by staying in college another year, and could possibly hurt his stock.
    Most NBA GM's subscribe to the philosophy that potential college upperclassman will develop faster as NBA back-ups, through practice and whatever minutes they can get, than they will playing against college kids for another year