Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas A&M Transfer Elijah Thomas Considering GU

If you like Shem, compare Ryan and SHem after two years. If I had a vote, I'd keep Edwards. Has a big big upside when he's developed. All these "fancy " kids we bring in are fine And in general they do very well but I like a solid blue collar anchoring. He's working hard but he does need someone to direct him closely. He needs a mentor to be great.

I was big on Edwards before but I haven't seen anything so far to suggest he'll be anything more than he is now. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see Big Country like some people have compared him to.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I was big on Edwards before but I haven't seen anything so far to suggest he'll be anything more than he is now. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see Big Country like some people have compared him to.
    You will see it over the next 2 seasons. Edwards will be great.
    GU is lucky to have him for 2 more seasons.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    You will see it over the next 2 seasons. Edwards will be great.
    GU is lucky to have him for 2 more seasons.
    I think so too. Soft hands, big body, 85% FT shooter. When he learns what to do and what not to do, he will be 8-10 and 6 reb plus a shot blocking threat. It will anchor the young guards and outside players, just like Shem does now.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I think so too. Soft hands, big body, 85% FT shooter. When he learns what to do and what not to do, he will be 8-10 and 6 reb plus a shot blocking threat. It will anchor the young guards and outside players, just like Shem does now.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

"he will be 8-10 and 6 reb plus a shot blocking threat"

Extrapolate his numbers now in very limited minutes of play and he's already there. The only question is reliable defense and fouls. I think he'll get there. He just gets the yoyo treatment now and is on a very short leash (like so many others are and have been) so he doesn't get to play a full game to show he can put up those numbers......YET. I think we'll be seeing a lot more minutes from him as the season progresses when he fully realizes he suddenly (due to Karno's injury) has the opportunity to play serious minutes and steps up to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Edwards stays??? Please explain.
    [QUOTE=hooter; I'll take a stab at it... Collins coming in, not a problem, but as soon as Larsen committed, Edwards saw the writing on the wall that he was being recruited over and will be looking for more playing time elsewhere... or so some would think. I love the guy so I hope not.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme: I think you both are reading too much into what he wrote, I'm pretty sure he just mean Edwards returns and typed stays instead.[/QUOTE]

Please excuse me for causing all this confusion.

I believe Edwards might consider leaving to get more playing time...yes he already "spent" his redshirt year but would be eligible to play D2 immediately...

I don't think PK comes back and Domas could well leave after this year so Ryan would most likely by the starting center...

I would be very surprised BUT very happy for Elijah Thomas and if Domas does indeed leave, then he would be sorely needed in the second semester next year...

Lots of speculation of course BUT I think Domas stays as does Edwards, which would give us four solid front court players with Zach and JWIII...

yes. ...way more athletic, way better hands, way better shooter. nimble and gets of his feet better. Shem, 2 years ago was clumbsy, over weight, and could barely handle an incoming pass. He improved quite bit 2nd half of the season last year and now is quite good. He developed.
    Edwards hasn't had much of a chance yet..
    Edward has quite a ways to go . He needs experience which is quite limited right now. I do think if he gets the focused training he needs, he could be better than Shem. Thanks for stopping

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Please excuse me for causing all this confusion.

I believe Edwards might consider leaving to get more playing time...yes he already "spent" his redshirt year but would be eligible to play D2 immediately...

I don't think PK comes back and Domas could well leave after this year so Ryan would most likely by the starting center...

I would be very surprised BUT very happy for Elijah Thomas and if Domas does indeed leave, then he would be sorely needed in the second semester next year...

Lots of speculation of course BUT I think Domas stays as does Edwards, which would give us four solid front court players with Zach and JWIII...
    So which rumor are you starting Domas staying or Edwards leaving? In the same post you believe Edwards will leave for more PT at the D2 level and/or he will be the starting center next yearHow about we play the season out before we start talking about players leaving?

Which mod deleted my comments to MDABE about Edwards?

He said edwards first two years were better than Karnowskis which is absolutely ridiculous

Edwards hasn't shown anything yet.

Settle down 34. I said Edwards will look more athletic, better hands, footwork, soft touch at the end of his 2nd year ( he's not reached that yet) than Karno did at the end of his 2nd year. I hope you understand the intent. Just my opnion. ANd I don't think it's ridiculous. Karno came alive last season ( his 3rd) in the 2nd half of the seaosn specifically.

For the sake of injecting a little reality into this discussion:

Karno's second year- starting center, 25 min per game, 10.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.7 blocks, 59.3% fg. Saying he wasn't good that year is revisionist at best; I'll leave it at that. Actually a bit better in most areas than his jr year statistically, and already a defensive force, as most people acknowledged at the time.

Edwards is currently in his third year in the program; 8.2 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 2 reb, 0.2 blocks. He's better from the line; 61% this yr and a tad over 70 career. Good hands and touch, yes (I'd avoid mentions of athleticism), but still a project in the coaches' eyes or he'd be worthy of 15-20 mpg in Karno's absence.

But not in the same universe as a player as of now, and imo likely to be passed by Williams and Collins from the start next year, hence the speculation (though inappropriate here imo) about what he's going to do.

If you compared minutes played stats I would agree with Abe. I have noticed that many times he has worked position and is open but the guys are not passing to him yet. It's like when he comes in the guards work on different sets.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    If you compared minutes played stats I would agree with Abe.
    How so? The math disagrees.

And then there's the defensive end. Zags have dropped from teens to 32 on kenpom w/ Karno out, which probably means they're in the upper 40's or so in games w/o him. And D is probably the big reason the coaches are reluctant to play Edwards much.

Quote Originally Posted by GUfan34 View Post

He said edwards first two years were better than Karnowskis which is absolutely ridiculous

If I'm not mistaken, in your deleted post you said that Karno was ready to be a D1 starting center as a freshman. Just for the record, he started one game vs Campbell (BC school IIRC) and he averaged 10.7 mpg, 5.4 ppg, and 2.6 RB's.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    How so? The math disagrees.

And then there's the defensive end. Zags have dropped from teens to 32 on kenpom w/ Karno out, which probably means they're in the upper 40's or so in games w/o him. And D is probably the big reason the coaches are reluctant to play Edwards much.
    No it does not. The point is that Shem's gotten tons more time and experience. Also just because Edwards is "in the program"........he's not played and had a redshirt year.
    I'm thinking Edwards will be a very good one if he's developed.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No it does not. The point is that Shem's gotten tons more time and experience. Also just because Edwards is "in the program"........he's not played and had a redshirt year.
    I'm thinking Edwards will be a very good one if he's developed.
    Yes, factually it does on a per minute basis in every category except ft shooting. Saying "no it does not" does not make it so. Numbers are numbers, and if you take the time and effort to look at them you'll see I'm correct. Not to mention the defensive #'s since Karno's been out; if Edwards was near his equal on that end that alone would get him close to 20 min and some rest for the now-big 2.

The redshirt year does count for something, as Olynyk and Wilt have demonstrated, along w/ a number of others. And Karno has gotten pt because he's a terrific player, and came in as such. I do agree with the thought that Edwards still has upside and could become good, but my point is that Karno was very good in his second year and deserves credit as such. That playing time wasn't handed to him; he earned it. Edwards has yet to do that. It will be nice if he does, and I hope you're right. Time will tell but he's a long way from being good enough to compare to Karno.

Some spirited disagreement here about whether or not and how much Ryan will develop over time. For my part, I'm just hoping he can give the team enough minutes [B]this year to allow Kyle and Domas breathers. Thus far, I see encouraging signs.

Agree with everything you've stated Maynard. Find it hard to believe Edwards plays over Sabonis, Williams or Collins next year. People compared Edwards to Big Country Reeves from OSU and Jon Bryant from Santa Clara. I don't see either comparison and not even close at this point. He's been in the program 3 years now. Just expected bigger things from him. But again he's a big body that gives us minutes off the bench which is all we need from him this year.

Gaels already have an Elijah Thomas on the roster for next year. Don't confuse an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, in your deleted post you said that Karno was ready to be a D1 starting center as a freshman. Just for the record, he started one game vs Campbell (BC school IIRC) and he averaged 10.7 mpg, 5.4 ppg, and 2.6 RB's.
    He was also playing behind veterans like Sam Dower and Kelly Olynyk, right? Had we needed him, he would have looked the part from day 1. We are on year 3 of Edwards here in the GU program, and he still doesn't look the part.

We all saw the potential from Karnowski from day 1, and not just the "eye test."

He had two 20 point performances in 2 of the first 3 games he ever played here. Yes, they were against horrible opponents, but Edwards has had a few games against horrible opponents as well, and hasn't even sniffed that kind of production.

All I'm saying is that the two are not comparable. Edwards has 2 1/2 years left to show me something, but to pretend he's shown anything other than an ability to hit free throws is just not factual. Edwards has played a bunch of bad teams and smaller guys, and he struggles against them. He's not a high level D1 talent right now. Will he ever be? I hope so, but IN MY OPINION he never will be (yes, we can debate that, because I could be wrong.)

But the Edwards hype right now is not based off of performance. Karnowski was producing literally since the first game... Edwards has yet to give us anything at all.

.Edwards has yet to give us anything at all.
    This is waaayyyyy too strong.

Some criticism of Edward's aggression and such is valid. But, we ought to temper that with the fact he was recruited as an extremely raw talent who (it doesn't seem to me) was ever intended to do more than they are asking of him now, play decent minutes in a back-up role to starters. If they got him to a place where he did the job asked (defend, fill space, block shots, catch, put the ball in when open, for 5 minutes at a time) - that's tremendously successful. How many other teams would give anything to have that kind of presence?

Your statement takes away all credibility

I DO wish he would be more aggressive, hence my suggestion that someone manage to make him think he took an elbow to the gut in the first 30 seconds into the game, b/c when he gets angry, he does have another level that we have seen on several occasions. I would love to see him get to that kind of consistency - of course that requires minutes, and now we're back to the original point. . . .
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I recall you ripping this board for being nothing but homers and saying some derogatory things about mdabe. I'm glad a mod deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    So which rumor are you starting Domas staying or Edwards leaving? In the same post you believe Edwards will leave for more PT at the D2 level and/or he will be the starting center next yearHow about we play the season out before we start talking about players leaving?
    Rumors...This thread is about a transfer possibly choosing GU over other schools and what might be a deal breaker...

No rumors being spread on someone leaving/staying BUT speculation on whether Thomas choses GU and why...and if does chose GU then speculation on PT...there are only 80 minutes for the C and PF spots...

If everyone comes back and with the new recruits it will be tough to find playing time for someone already schedule to participate next year, let alone trying to find a scholly for Thompson...

So if Thompson wants to come to GU and the staff/players also want him to come, then something has to give...it's just numbers...

" Find it hard to believe Edwards plays over Sabonis," cqq...that's NOT what was said..
    I said that at the end of playing 2 years in the program.......not sitting on his ass on the bench or reshirting......I think Edwards would likly be better than Shem after 2 years. We have yet to see Edwards get enough time...he is in the middle of his frist year of NOT sitting on his ass on the bench.
    Untill the latter part of last year, Shem could do some scoring but he lost the ball when he triefd to dribble or he couldn't catch the ball. Low, ran the floor like he wa dyin off and really didn't get in shape. THis isn't isn't controlversial, it's what was. He could barely jump. Had size. He could block shots and he could dunk. FT's were a disaster.

Edwards in his partime job this year, has shown he can run the floor easily without appearing to ned oxygen but he does need better conditioning, he cn dribble, he cn receive a pass and he can dunk and he can block shots. He doesn't fumble the ball . I like him at the Line. Give him two more years with hard work . He'll be a very good center. Karno is much loved around here..........he's been servicable in the past part of last year. But most forget his efforts his first 2 years on board. Messy.

I hope Karno comes back like gangbusters. Meanwhile, Edard is now a soph after sitting through a yer of eligibility and 1 year of pine time.
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...id/66457/ryan-. Given his improvment this year, I think he'll be a good one. This is the first year he's gotten any minutes. I think he improves every game.
    The rest of this year , he'll continue to improve and in his last two years, I think he'll excell...............if he gets direction. We
    ll see what happens but I doubt Few gives up. No matter though, Ryan's here to stay.