Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Texas A&M Transfer Elijah Thomas Considering GU

Quote Originally Posted by GUfan34 View Post
    Goss will have to do a lot next season I think. Unfortunately, he can't shoot.
    Once again- he won the three point shooting contest at the McDonald's AA game. He shot 36% as a UW fr from 3, before slumping to 22/86 or 26% as a soph.

First, that's a small sample size in 30+ games. Second, shooting is a function of confidence, rhythm, quality of shot attempts you take, etc. I didn't watch them much, but I'm guessing that's part of what happened to NWG at UW, and a big part of why he transferred. He was playing on a really bad offensive team. It would be interesting to know how many of those shots were late in the clock/pressured. Not saying he'll be a great shooter, but there's enough data to say he can shoot decently if he's comfortable and confident. With his skill set penetrating and passing, if he can shoot mid 30's and keep the defense honest, that's enough.

Really....come one now...

Quote Originally Posted by jchocolate99 View Post
    Keep your discussions and debates about Sabonis in another thread... mods keep this thread on track. Clicked on here thinking we had new info on Elijah

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Once again- he won the three point shooting contest at the McDonald's AA game. He shot 36% as a UW fr from 3, before slumping to 22/86 or 26% as a soph.

First, that's a small sample size in 30+ games. Second, shooting is a function of confidence, rhythm, quality of shot attempts you take, etc. I didn't watch them much, but I'm guessing that's part of what happened to NWG at UW, and a big part of why he transferred. He was playing on a really bad offensive team. It would be interesting to know how many of those shots were late in the clock/pressured. Not saying he'll be a great shooter, but there's enough data to say he can shoot decently if he's comfortable and confident. With his skill set penetrating and passing, if he can shoot mid 30's and keep the defense honest, that's enough.
    Oh, he won a 3 point shooting contest. Well, that settles it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Really....come one now...
    Dude, you know the drill. No point in too much fighting of the "Get off my lawn crowd". But I agree.

Pretty sure that's not all Maynard said but we all know you're just here to flame anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Pretty sure that's not all Maynard said but we all know you're just here to flame anyways.
    LOL

LOL
    how old are you??? LOL as a response??? ...your sarcastic previous post was bad enough...

I was responding to "unfortunately, he can't shoot". This is how dialogue works. As others have kindly pointed out, that is not all I said.

However, my guess is that he would be the only winner of a 3 point shooting contest who "can't shoot", as generally the contestants are picked because they are, I don't know, good shooters? It is true that those are easy shots, undefended. But in an offense that moves the ball and executes efficiently, players tend to get better looks at the basket. And I think he'll get better quality shots at GU than he did at UW.

My guess, and it's only that, is that he'll be able to shoot the ball adequately enough to be a reasonable threat from there, i.e. enough to make defenses play him honestly, which is all he really needs. Anything more is gravy. I just presented EVIDENCE that "he can't shoot" may not be a statement of fact. Fair enough?

Quote Originally Posted by jchocolate99 View Post
    Keep your discussions and debates about Sabonis in another thread... mods keep this thread on track. Clicked on here thinking we had new info on Elijah
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I was responding to "unfortunately, he can't shoot". This is how dialogue works. As others have kindly pointed out, that is not all I said.

However, my guess is that he would be the only winner of a 3 point shooting contest who "can't shoot", as generally the contestants are picked because they are, I don't know, good shooters? It is true that those are easy shots, undefended. But in an offense that moves the ball and executes efficiently, players tend to get better looks at the basket. And I think he'll get better quality shots at GU than he did at UW.

My guess, and it's only that, is that he'll be able to shoot the ball adequately enough to be a reasonable threat from there, i.e. enough to make defenses play him honestly, which is all he really needs. Anything more is gravy. I just presented EVIDENCE that "he can't shoot" may not be a statement of fact. Fair enough?
    Way too many words(especially those with more than 4 letters) in there for 34...you need to pepper this paragraph with such gems as IDK, LOL, FWIW, and the gold standard OMG.

With the new year literally around the corner, doesn't he have to make a decision pretty quick? When does the Spring Semester begin at GU? Has he been seen visiting GU?

Snag him. If he's strong, athletic, a hard worker and has some of the fundamentals down...he'll get time. A year developing and scrimmaging against Sabonis et al should be enough to bring the best out of him, too.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Looks like Elijah Thomas picked Clemson.

Best of luck ET.
    But we don't play nobody.

He could be the best shooter in the country. He'll get to GU and go cold for months