Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas A&M Transfer Elijah Thomas Considering GU

Default Texas A&M Transfer Elijah Thomas Considering GU

4-Star Elijah Thomas was ranked 31st in the class of 2015 according to ESPN. Jeff Goodman reports that GU is in his final 5 along with Arizona St, San Diego(?!?), Clemson and Nebraska. He's an undersized C at 6'9" but potential is definitely there. Timing of his transfer is a bit odd so early in his career and he has pointed to "personal issues" being a catalyst.

If he's right for the program I hope the coaches can lock him up soon!

I dunno if we have any openings for any bigs; even if Don'tmiss leaves early, we'll still have Ryan and then Zach and Larson as well as JWIII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    4-Star Elijah Thomas was ranked 31st in the class of 2015 according to ESPN. Jeff Goodman reports that GU is in his final 5 along with Arizona St, San Diego(?!?), Clemson and Nebraska. He's an undersized C at 6'9" but potential is definitely there. Timing of his transfer is a bit odd so early in his career and he has pointed to "personal issues" being a catalyst.

If he's right for the program I hope the coaches can lock him up soon!

Has only played in 2 games (5 Mins. + 3 DNP) since he played 4 mins. vs the Zags a month ago. Like Spy said, unless DS leaves, their is "no room in the inn."
    But we don't play nobody.

If the young man thinks he'll get more minutes at GU, more power to him. He may become even more disgruntled, though.

There's always room. Kid could flat ball in high school. Very skilled and surprisingly athletic for his size. I'd take if staff wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    There's always room. Kid could flat ball in high school. Very skilled and surprisingly athletic for his size. I'd take if staff wanted him.
    This. If he passes muster with the staff/guys and wants to come.

I believe there is an open scholarship if he were to enroll in January.

He'd be sitting for a year, lots can happen in that year. There may be room at the inn.

I'd leave it to the staff... they have a better pulse on the team.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The mid-season transfer is a bad deal from an eligibility perspective. I wish kids would just wait until the end of the season:

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/468...midseason-list

Dude has some court vision and the ability to pass, even from the post.

Default I want...

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    He'd be sitting for a year, lots can happen in that year. There may be room at the inn.

Let's just put this into perspective...with all the possibilities...

2016-17 Season We are allowed 13 scholarship players and we have eight returning eligible players: JP, SM, BA, DS, RE, NWG, JWIII, and JJ. We have five new recruits for next season: Zack Collins, Zack Norval, Killian Tille, Rui Hachimura and Jacob Larsen.

Front Court Players:
    PK is allowed a medical redshirt...?

Domas stays for his junior year...?

Edwards stays...

JWIII is a RS Junior

Zach Collins is onboard and ready to play

Larson is onboard and redshirts if Domas stays

*Elijah Thomas Transfer, eligible 2nd semester?

* Don't think there is a scholarship available at this time UNLESS there is a transfer of one of our three guards, Domas leaves early or Hachimura reclassifies to 2017

Don't believe Jones is on scholarship at this time.

If Karno can ever play basketball again, I gotta believe it will be professionally overseas.

I agree with CG and wish Karno the best in everything that happens.

Rui to 2017 just might be the way it happens, sure the staff has a handle on this. Then we have a chance for a top 50 pf type to fill the spot? Yes please.

As much as we on this board know, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the coaching staff might be more informed on these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Rui to 2017 just might be the way it happens, sure the staff has a handle on this. Then we have a chance for a top 50 pf type to fill the spot? Yes please.
    Sounds plausible to me & the Zags have decent success w/ transfers. If a player chooses the Zags nowadays they certainly know what they're in for. Not sure why a kid would want to leave A&M. But, it takes a certain level of courage to transfer & sit out a year. More power to Thomas - hope he finds a good fit and as soon as he hopes to.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    As much as we on this board know, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the coaching staff might be more informed on these matters.
    You gotta be kidding me, no flipping way the staff knows more than we do...��

Also, even if he transfers, he could sit out all of next year and then have 3 years (I think?). But with the coaching he gets in the redshirt season, may mean we have him 2 years and he goes for the $$$$. He knows what he will walk into and knows what to expect. So if he shows up I would think that it would be super. Just think of his redshirt time and the players he would practice against. That alone should make him better.

If he left school and sat out a year, what does that leave him for eligibility? How about if he could pay his own way for a year?

I think that he would then have 3 years left. He used his freshman year up this year. As long as we have a scholarship, whether he pays or uses a scholarship would not change the 3 years of play. I just do not know if he came in this January, can he then out all next year, does he still have 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Blasphemy! Burn him at the stake!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Let's just put this into perspective...with all the possibilities...

2016-17 Season We are allowed 13 scholarship players and we have eight returning eligible players: JP, SM, BA, DS, RE, NWG, JWIII, and JJ. We have five new recruits for next season: Zack Collins, Zack Norval, Killian Tille, Rui Hachimura and Jacob Larsen.

Front Court Players:
    PK is allowed a medical redshirt...?

Domas stays for his junior year...?

Edwards stays...

JWIII is a RS Junior

Zach Collins is onboard and ready to play

Larson is onboard and redshirts if Domas stays

*Elijah Thomas Transfer, eligible 2nd semester?

* Don't think there is a scholarship available at this time UNLESS there is a transfer of one of our three guards, Domas leaves early or Hachimura reclassifies to 2017

Edwards stays??? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Edwards stays??? Please explain.
    I'll take a stab at it... Collins coming in, not a problem, but as soon as Larsen committed, Edwards saw the writing on the wall that he was being recruited over and will be looking for more playing time elsewhere... or so some would think. I love the guy so I hope not.

So let me play other advocate: Shem is done, Sabonis takes the money and runs, Collins is a one year player, That leaves Larsen as an undersized center and little else. This Transfer doesnt not make sense.

I think you both are reading too much into what he wrote, I'm pretty sure he just mean Edwards returns and typed stays instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I'll take a stab at it... Collins coming in, not a problem, but as soon as Larsen committed, Edwards saw the writing on the wall that he was being recruited over and will be looking for more playing time elsewhere... or so some would think. I love the guy so I hope not.

So let me play other advocate: Shem is done, Sabonis takes the money and runs, Collins is a one year player, That leaves Larsen as an undersized center and little else. This Transfer doesnt not make sense.