Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not quite ready for prime time,

Default Not quite ready for prime time,

But Ryan Edwards is making progress. Nice stat line tonight with 6 points, 4 boards and a block in 13 minutes.

I hope he he continues to progress and can give the team 20 minutes a game. Wilter and Sabonis are really going to need him to help preserve their seasons.

he still appears to be thinking his way through the game a bit...with his size and skill, he needs to just get the ball and go up with it...no bringing the ball down where he can get it knocked away or tied up. same thing happens on his rebounds...

He still has a bit of the look of a boy playing,
    but with his skill set, and coachability,
    he will develop into the look of a man playing, like Karno does, and I
    want to around to watch that transition.
    I think he may have a high ceiling yet.

JMO, but I think Edwards has fewer bad habits and more offensive skills than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage of their careers. If he gets a little better on defense and grows a Grizzly Adams beard, he will be a force.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    JMO, but I think Edwards has fewer bad habits and more offensive skills than either Karno or Sacre had at this stage of their careers. If he gets a little better on defense and grows a Grizzly Adams beard, he will be a force.
    They guys sitting next to me at the Tennessee game thought a few tats would do some good vis a vis his "look". They felt he looks like too nice a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    They guys sitting next to me at the Tennessee game thought a few tats would do some good vis a vis his "look". They felt he looks like too nice a guy.
    IMO, no tats, no piercings make Ryan a rebel in today's world. Cornrows would shake everybody up, don't you think? lol

Like the guards, Edwards will have the opportunity to improve skills and confidence during the conference games. A sweep is far less important than continued effort and team play. Do it again Wednesday, and reflect on it during the holidays. Use these games as tune-ups for the trip to SMU. That game will show how far you have come, and what still needs work.

Usually, the WCC games fail to prepare the Zags for the NCAA tournament. This year, they are mostly scrimages that are necessary to help them improve as a team. If they can do that without becoming complacent, we're still in for a ride in March. No one would have thought that possible without Karno. And who knows, by March Karno could . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Like the guards, Edwards will have the opportunity to improve skills and confidence during the conference games. A sweep is far less important than continued effort and team play. Do it again Wednesday, and reflect on it during the holidays. Use these games as tune-ups for the trip to SMU. That game will show how far you have come, and what still needs work.

Usually, the WCC games fail to prepare the Zags for the NCAA tournament. This year, they are mostly scrimages that are necessary to help them improve as a team. If they can do that without becoming complacent, we're still in for a ride in March. No one would have thought that possible without Karno. And who knows, by March Karno could . . .
    I'd like to see more blowouts, if only to get the bench more minutes. Sure, KW's and DS's stats may suffer, but we're going to need our bench in March.

I second the comments about how much better Edwards is as second year player than Karno.

I remember thinking about Karno, "This guy can barely even chew gum and walk at the same time, let alone play basketball." He was BRUTAL in his first two years. And lo and behold, he turned himself into an NBA prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    IMO, no tats, no piercings make Ryan a rebel in today's world. Cornrows would shake everybody up, don't you think? lol
    No tats but a Birdman mohawk dyed various colors throughout the season. Ryan Edwards, 7'1"...7'5" w the 'hawk.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

If there is one blessing in this whole Karno nightmare it is the minutes and more importantly the confidence that Edwards is getting. He said in an interview that he was unsure he could play with the "big guys" like Zona, UCLA, UCONN, etc. But his takeaway from those game was that he could hang with the best of them.

He is a work in progress... but major progress has been made.

No tats... but lose the clean cut haircut. Go mowhawk or spiked... That'll make him look tougher.

ETA... LMAO.. Flex and I posted same idea at the same time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Edwards is very efficient in his motion. He does not waste a lot of movement. He provides a solid big man presence. And he can develop more with an upside their for the taking.

Karno was always great and always will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    Edwards is very efficient in his motion. He does not waste a lot of movement. He provides a solid big man presence. And he can develop more with an upside their for the taking.

Karno was always great and always will be great.
    So in the last 2 seasons we have seem 3s from both Karno and Sabonis... pressure is on Edwards now.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    No tats but a Birdman mohawk dyed various colors throughout the season. Ryan Edwards, 7'1"...7'5" w the 'hawk.
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    So in the last 2 seasons we have seem 3s from both Karno and Sabonis... pressure is on Edwards now.
    He's trying, he made an attempt a couple games back didn't he?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

He needs to throw one down with Force.
    Like his Free Throw form.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    He's trying, he made an attempt a couple games back didn't he?
    Yes he did. Think Perkins should shift his bet to Edwards instead. Sabonis already collected on the 3.

We've gotta be the only fan board in the country that starts a thread about the 8th man on the team after an almost 30 point victory. Gotta love our passion. But I hope the expectations for him are realistic, he's the 8th man for a reason, plus we have several bigs coming in next season. If he ends his senior season as a 10/6 guy, I think his career would be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    He needs to throw one down with Force.
    Like his Free Throw form.
    Can he dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    We've gotta be the only fan board in the country that starts a thread about the 8th man on the team and how he's not progressing as rapidly as we'd like after an almost 30 point victory. . People, he's the 8th man on the team for a reason, give the kid a break.
    Ummm did you really read the thread? I don't think anyone has said anything close to that.

OK, I will edit it.
    Ummm did you really read the thread? I don't think anyone has said anything close to that.

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Fixed
    Agree with your assessment on the edit. I don't think anyone here expects him to be Shem or Sabonis. But if he could progress to a 9 or 10 and 4-6 boards it'd be more than welcome. He has shown that he is highly coachable.

Thought this was going to be about Odell Beckham at first...

Edwards-

He's getting better. Not easy when your first two games that you're expected to log quality minutes are against AZ and UCLA. He's still slow with his moves but improving.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Agree with your assessment on the edit. I don't think anyone here expects him to be Shem or Sabonis. But if he could progress to a 9 or 10 and 4-6 boards it'd be more than welcome. He has shown that he is highly coachable.
    Just the transformation in his body shows that the kid is a hard worker and coachable. He's a great role player, which every team needs.