Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN Announcers for Tonight's Game

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Heister been great tonight. I love heister
    I would replace "great" with "acceptable". If he was like this on Root broadcasts, there would be few if any complaints about him.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Hester was okay tonight. It was Fahrnam that I got tired of listening to tonight. Just not very interesting when he kept rambling

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I would replace "great" with "acceptable". If he was like this on Root broadcasts, there would be few if any complaints about him.
    Agreed. Less is more with Heister he had his sideways moments but I would guess that ESPN had a real producer in his ear rather than the amateur that KHQ puts in the truck.

I thought he was just fine. Shows that he clowns on the local 'cast cuz he thinks it sells....

Quote Originally Posted by GUfan34 View Post

I take it you watch very little sports outside of GU games.
    In all likelihood I've watched more televised sports over a longer time span than you. Broadcasters like Curt Gowdy, Dick Enberg, Bill King, Vin Scully, Verne Lundquist, Keith Jackson, Marv Albert, and others were the voices I grew up with and the measure I use when I dismiss Heister as a bush leaguer.

I have not called for his head on a pike, emailed the GU athletic department, or suggested he take up full time residence in a yurt somewhere on the Iditarod trail. I've posted my opinion on an internet message board.

What's the point of a message board if everybody agrees and there is no debate

That would be boring.

34, if you think Heister is swell, it's fine by me. We disagree.

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-23-2015 at 01:10 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

You haters are crazy. Heister is a very good announcer. I watch a ton of college hoops and I prefer him over many of the other local crews who call games. He is 100% vested in this program, so why the hate? If you think his propensity to tell stories not pertinent to the game is out of the ordinary in college hoops? If so, you are not paying attention. He did great Monday and I was glad to see someone on the national broadcast who knew something more about our team other than "we recruit internationally" and "Arvydas Sabonis was the greatest basketball player of all time....". I think some of you will hate anyone if given the chance to listen to them 25 times a year for 10 years (about how long Heister has been calling Zag games). We all love Dickau and Foxy! Of course we do, they are our guys, they lived in Desmet too and ate at the COG. If they weren't, I'm sure you guys would find a reason to #####. I followed this board religiously from its' inception when it was the "other board". I don't post here too often anymore because I am so sick of the negative crap. You don't like our announcers, you don't like our coach even though he's has the highest winning percentage in college basketball history. You don't like our guards (they are underclassmen and 19-20 years old). It's unbelievable how jaded you guys can be when we win 25-30 games a year and go to the tournament every year. Some day, this board will cause a player to leave early or transfer, if it hasn't already happen. You know these player's families read this board. I'm sure Heister, Dickau and Fox do too. They reference things from this board if you listen close enough. GU has a winning formula at all levels. Season tickets have a huge waiting list, we win, we recruit top talent, our athletic department is at the top of its' game, we are represented by IMG, the #1 sports marketing organization in all of sports, we have a national brand and are a little tiny Jesuit school from Spokane (not a tourist destination). Do you think your expectations may be a little screwed up????? END RANT

Sheesh ... Come in off the ledge! The thing I dislike about Heister is his "playground bully" persona toward Dickau and Fox. Always a dig, always a snipe, Dickau's hair this, Foxie's lack of hair that. That stuff may have worked for him in 5th grade recess. But at some point (say, 6th grade), that schtick wears real thin. Give me the days of Dennis Patchin any day over Heister. (Apologies to Mrs. Heister!)

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post
    You haters are crazy. Heister is a very good announcer. I watch a ton of college hoops and I prefer him over many of the other local crews who call games. He is 100% vested in this program, so why the hate? If you think his propensity to tell stories not pertinent to the game is out of the ordinary in college hoops? If so, you are not paying attention. He did great Monday and I was glad to see someone on the national broadcast who knew something more about our team other than "we recruit internationally" and "Arvydas Sabonis was the greatest basketball player of all time....". I think some of you will hate anyone if given the chance to listen to them 25 times a year for 10 years (about how long Heister has been calling Zag games). We all love Dickau and Foxy! Of course we do, they are our guys, they lived in Desmet too and ate at the COG. If they weren't, I'm sure you guys would find a reason to #####. I followed this board religiously from its' inception when it was the "other board". I don't post here too often anymore because I am so sick of the negative crap. You don't like our announcers, you don't like our coach even though he's has the highest winning percentage in college basketball history. You don't like our guards (they are underclassmen and 19-20 years old). It's unbelievable how jaded you guys can be when we win 25-30 games a year and go to the tournament every year. Some day, this board will cause a player to leave early or transfer, if it hasn't already happen. You know these player's families read this board. I'm sure Heister, Dickau and Fox do too. They reference things from this board if you listen close enough. GU has a winning formula at all levels. Season tickets have a huge waiting list, we win, we recruit top talent, our athletic department is at the top of its' game, we are represented by IMG, the #1 sports marketing organization in all of sports, we have a national brand and are a little tiny Jesuit school from Spokane (not a tourist destination). Do you think your expectations may be a little screwed up????? END RANT
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post
    Hi Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectMKUltra5 View Post
    Hi Greg

Default Au contraire, Colby

You don't like our announcers, you don't like our coach even though he's has the highest winning percentage in college basketball history. You don't like our guards
    I like our coach and our guards. I also like Tom Hudson on the radio. Heister is a great interviewer but he needs to make some basic changes as a play-by-play announcer. Let the color commentators do their job, and Heister can stick to telling us basic information on the game.

You know these player's families read this board. I'm sure Heister, Dickau and Fox do too. They reference things from this board if you listen close enough. GU has a winning formula
    God, I sure hope Heister reads this Board. As for players, this is the social media age, and they practically learned to read stuff on Facebook before they could walk. I suspect they have a thicker skin than you might imagine.