Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Foo Star Wars Thread

Has no one else seen it? I am looking forward to hearing impressions.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Has no one else seen it? I am looking forward to hearing impressions.
    I enjoyed it.

The plot was too compressed and relied too much on short exposition to push one scene to the next. It suffers from being the third movie in a trilogy that was created without any real coordination or common vision between the authors of the individual chapters. It was clear that J.J. Abrams didn’t want to follow the vision laid out in Episode VIII, so he glossed over or ignored major plot points to create a movie more in line with the vision he had with Episode VII. It also felt like they were trying to jam too many nostalgic tie-ins to earlier Star Wars tales.

I still enjoyed it. It is a beautiful movie visually and features some great action scenes. The cast is excellent and the actors have some great on-screen chemistry, particularly Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. They captured the look and feel of the Star Wars universe. This movie should be viewed on the big screen.

It does not feel like the story is complete. I expect that Rey’s future adventures will be chronicled in years to come.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I enjoyed it.

The plot was too compressed and relied too much on short exposition to push one scene to the next. It suffers from being the third movie in a trilogy that was created without any real coordination or common vision between the authors of the individual chapters. It was clear that J.J. Abrams didn’t want to follow the vision laid out in Episode VIII, so he glossed over or ignored major plot points to create a movie more in line with the vision he had with Episode VII. It also felt like they were trying to jam too many nostalgic tie-ins to earlier Star Wars tales.

I still enjoyed it. It is a beautiful movie visually and features some great action scenes. The cast is excellent and the actors have some great on-screen chemistry, particularly Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. They captured the look and feel of the Star Wars universe. This movie should be viewed on the big screen.

It does not feel like the story is complete. I expect that Rey’s future adventures will be chronicled in years to come.
    I am not a knowledgeable enough fan to have made some of those observations, but I share them.

I wish JJ had made VIII, and I wonder why he was removed.

This one felt so much more like a "Star Wars movie" (the good kind) than VIII - which had some complexity to it that I liked, but it didn't jive with the characters themselves.

It might have been the most beautiful movie that I have seen visually, though, admittedly, I don't go to a lot of movies.

I am considering seeing it again, bc I am sure there is so much that I missed. And it's not as expensive here in the sticks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I encourage Star Wars fans to see the movie. Despite the unfavorable reviews, it is a fun night out. Suspend some disbelief and just enjoy the ride through hyperspace.

My kids recommended that I watch the last four episodes of the Clone Wars animated series. It is essentially a standalone movie spread out over a third of the show’s final season. It follows a handful of secondary characters during the final hours before the Jedi order was wiped out during Order 66. It has a feel similar to Rogue I in that the audience knows exactly how it will end, but the characters don’t. The pacing is excellent. Some of the recent movies have felt too compressed, like the creators simply could not tell the full scope of the story they envisioned within the limited confines of a 2-3 hour movie. This series doesn’t have that problem. It feels like Order 66 is unfolding in real time from the perspective of just a handful of people trying to survive a terrible crisis they never imagined. Old friends become adversaries, but neither group understands why it is happening. There is anxiety, doubt, and moral conflict throughout.

I recommend it.

Default The Ringer Clone Wars Review

The final four-episode sequence, which covered the Siege of Mandalore and Order 66, was peak Clone Wars, fulfilling Ahsoka actress Ashley Eckstein’s promise that fans were in store for “some of the best Star Wars ever made.” Because the culmination of The Clone Wars coincided with Revenge of the Sith, the story offered few surprises, but the four-part denouement, which was written by supervising director (and Lucas apprentice) Dave Filoni, delivered some of the series’ most cinematic and emotionally affecting moments...
    https://www.theringer.com/star-wars/...no-dave-filoni

What was your go-to SW movie yesterday for Star Wars day... also know as May the 4th (be with you)?

For me... always... Empire.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

My kids had 8 hours of Star Wars on yesterday. I was able to sit in on The Last Jedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

My Star Wars list, from most liked to least liked

Rogue One (Bad Ass Darth Vader Scene puts it over the top)
    The Rise of Skywalker
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post

The Rise of Skywalker
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    That's pretty close. I would put Last Jedi above the first 3 but not much over Revenge of the Sith (so much potential in actors, such bad dialogue)

I only liked Solo bc I liked that actress … a lot.

I would put Empire on Top, then Rogue, then Rise

But that's a solid list.
    Mark Twain.

The Rise of Skywalker
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    My list:

The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Rogue One
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Rise of Skywalker
    Last Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    Jar Jar’s Revenge

The Rise of Skywalker
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

For Me...

The Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    The Rise of Skywalker (Need to rewatch it, but really liked it in the theater)
    Return of the Jedi (because any of the original 3 can't be in the bottom 4)
    Solo (honestly NOT a bad movie)
    The Force Awakens (was JJ shooting for a bad remake of New Hope)
    Attack of the Clones (thought digital effects, especially in this one, came off cartoonish, dialog is brutally bad at times)
    The Phantom Menace (Jar-Jar... all that needs to be said)
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I have seen the first 3 and one of the new one, maybe Rogue, I don't remember by the names.

If they come up on the free TV channels (HBO etc when there is a free viewing) or a commercial ridden channel, I will watch, but we have n't gone to a movie in 10 years, or more. My wife has sensitive ears, and there are too few seats to have a back row corner to hide in. Plus the screen seems to be too big with the seats all that close in the multiplex.

"Everyone whacks off in the multiplex" Joe Morelli, by Janet Evanovich
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I have seen the first 3 and one of the new one, maybe Rogue, I don't remember by the names.

If they come up on the free TV channels (HBO etc when there is a free viewing) or a commercial ridden channel, I will watch, but we have n't gone to a movie in 10 years, or more. My wife has sensitive ears, and there are too few seats to have a back row corner to hide in. Plus the screen seems to be too big with the seats all that close in the multiplex.

"Everyone whacks off in the multiplex" Joe Morelli, by Janet Evanovich
    6 years ago (or whatever it was), my wife and I took her grandmother and our daughter to The Force Awakens, in the downtown Spokane theatres, Granny was visiting. She was 80 at the time and in a wheelchair and those theatres are great for handicapped people.

She hadn't seen a movie in a theatre in over 30 years - imagine how they've changed, she had seen lots on TVs.

Her words on coming out: "Do they all have so many explosions now?" … Me: "Yes."
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    6 years ago (or whatever it was), my wife and I took her grandmother and our daughter to The Force Awakens, in the downtown Spokane theatres, Granny was visiting. She was 80 at the time and in a wheelchair and those theatres are great for handicapped people.

She hadn't seen a movie in a theatre in over 30 years - imagine how they've changed, she had seen lots on TVs.

Her words on coming out: "Do they all have so many explosions now?" … Me: "Yes."
    It's not funny.

Boba Fett will appear in Season 2 of the Mandalorian.

https://www.cultureslate.com/2020/09...d-as-boba.html

Enjoy the trailer. It is the way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g