Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center for Athletic Achievement CAA

Default Center for Athletic Achievement CAA

Little more detail on new facility

Gonzaga has approached the city with conceptual plans. Athletic director Mike Roth emphasized there is no timeline because the project is “really early in the planning phase” and subject to modifications. It will be funded entirely by benefactors, Roth said, and support has been “tremendous.”The working title is the Center for Athletic Achievement (CAA), which could change if naming rights are secured. Cost of the project won’t be known until plans become finalized, but it figures to be in the $14-20 million range.
    “Primarily we need it to service student-athletes and continue to be competitive in a very competitive environment,” Roth said.
    LINK

“We take extreme pride in what our student-athletes achieve academically,” Roth said. “Last year the NCAA charted the four-year average of APR (academic progress rate) data and we were No. 2 in the country, behind Dartmouth.”
    That's pretty cool, too!

Not a real fan of this.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

If you are not moving forward--you are allowing the rest of the pack to catch you.

It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    If you are not moving forward--you are allowing the rest of the pack to catch you.

It makes sense.
    Yes.

And one of the reasons the WCC will continue to flounder is lack of financial commitment to their athletic departments. GU is stepping up to help further current and future success. Obviously the super sized example is Oregon. Their draw for kids is facilities and Nike. Very little to do with coaching, academics, location, etc

I don't see how this is a bad thing in any way. It helps the lesser known sports as much as hoops. GU's academic success by its athletes is not something that should be disregarded. It should be a source of pride. If this helps that aim along with providing the world class facilities and access to nutritionists... It is a win for everyone.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

This just helps widen the gap between Gonzaga and most of the WCC

I don't know that the Zag administration is as concerned about the "WCC" as trying to reduce the gaps between some of the other programs across the country. If we want to compete with some of the top programs in the country for some of the recruits out there-'- this will only help (probably won't entice a player to pick the Zags over Duke or Kentucky-- but may make a difference vs. Some of the other programs across the country).

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Not a real fan of this.
    Interesting please elaborate?

Here's Arizona's

Link

They are also looking to endow every athletic scholarship. Price tag ( from the Athletics Annual Report, which was linked on the board earlier this year) for Legacy Endowment Champions is a minimum gift of $1MM.

Certainly an ambitious goal

http://issuu.com/gonzaga/docs/gu_ath...11295/13870445

See pages 51-52 for details.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Interesting please elaborate?
    Sorry for the delay; needed to get to my source:

"You can look, but you won't find an athletic dormitory on the Gonzaga campus. While high-level basketball demands much from those who can take part--sequestered hours of practice, days on the road--there appears to be a genuine connection between the Zag players and the rest of the campus.
    A general university requirement mandates that students live in dormitories their first two years at Gonzaga. It's almost impossible not to be part of campus culture.
    'It's not the type of campus where you have a training table,' says former player Jeff Brown. ' I'm having my morning Cheerios across from the guy who lives across from me in the dorm. It's a close campus where everyone knows everyone.' " Pages 8-9 BraveHearts.

I started following Gonzaga closely in '92. Put yourself in Mr. Peabody's wayback machine & go there. You're sitting at a game in the Charlotte Martin Centre in December, after the students have left. The (allegedly) 4,000 seat arena is half full & a good percentage of those in attendance are a lot of the area AAU teams that got in for free; Fitz wanted butts in the seats. They're sitting in the front rows of what then passed for the Kennel Club. You turn to your buddies and say (in a normal volume) " In 25 years I predict that this team will have a bigger arena, been to 17 straight NCAA Tournaments & 2 Elite 8's with numerous basketball & academic All-Americans, and regularly have 1000+ screaming students in attendance giving it one of the best homecourt advantages in the country."
    You turn to your 1st buddy on the left (let's call him Don Haskins) & he says "Great! I'll take it". Then you turn to your 2nd buddy on your right (let's call him John Calipari) and he says "Not good enough!"

My long winded point is this. I'm in the "Don Haskins" camp. I have long been against the types of situations at factory schools that put the athletes ahead of the general population. Yes, the success of the basketball teams (plural) have funded a new arena & a new baseball field & a new soccer field & new tennis courts & new buildings on campus & new dorms and on & on and on. That's great (to a point). And yes, this new proposed facility would help all athletic teams. That's great. But part of it is basketball only, and that's not great. Would I like to see the Zags win a national championship? Duh. Would better facilities attract higher level athletes? Duh. But I (personally) don't care. The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot. You have to win 6 in a row under a myriad of circumstances & any one of those circumstances can knock you out, even though you're the better team. You can get shipped all the way across the country & get knocked out by Steph Curry in his back yard or you can get the "homecourt" advantage in Seattle & have Ronny pick up 2 fouls in the games 1st 90 seconds.

I'll take the kids that perform well in class, on the court & in the community. I'm all for progress, but not at any cost. After all, maybe a half full Kennel Club on game night is because there aren't enough Cheerios being eaten across the table.

"You can look, but you won't find an athletic dormitory on the Gonzaga campus. While high-level basketball demands much from those who can take part--sequestered hours of practice, days on the road--there appears to be a genuine connection between the Zag players and the rest of the campus.
    A general university requirement mandates that students live in dormitories their first two years at Gonzaga. It's almost impossible not to be part of campus culture.
    'It's not the type of campus where you have a training table,' says former player Jeff Brown. ' I'm having my morning Cheerios across from the guy who lives across from me in the dorm. It's a close campus where everyone knows everyone.' " Pages 8-9 BraveHearts.

I started following Gonzaga closely in '92. Put yourself in Mr. Peabody's wayback machine & go there. You're sitting at a game in the Charlotte Martin Centre in December, after the students have left. The (allegedly) 4,000 seat arena is half full & a good percentage of those in attendance are a lot of the area AAU teams that got in for free; Fitz wanted butts in the seats. They're sitting in the front rows of what then passed for the Kennel Club. You turn to your buddies and say (in a normal volume) " In 25 years I predict that this team will have a bigger arena, been to 17 straight NCAA Tournaments & 2 Elite 8's with numerous basketball & academic All-Americans, and regularly have 1000+ screaming students in attendance giving it one of the best homecourt advantages in the country."
    You turn to your 1st buddy on the left (let's call him Don Haskins) & he says "Great! I'll take it". Then you turn to your 2nd buddy on your right (let's call him John Calipari) and he says "Not good enough!"

My long winded point is this. I'm in the "Don Haskins" camp. I have long been against the types of situations at factory schools that put the athletes ahead of the general population. Yes, the success of the basketball teams (plural) have funded a new arena & a new baseball field & a new soccer field & new tennis courts & new buildings on campus & new dorms and on & on and on. That's great (to a point). And yes, this new proposed facility would help all athletic teams. That's great. But part of it is basketball only, and that's not great. Would I like to see the Zags win a national championship? Duh. Would better facilities attract higher level athletes? Duh. But I (personally) don't care. The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot. You have to win 6 in a row under a myriad of circumstances & any one of those circumstances can knock you out, even though you're the better team. You can get shipped all the way across the country & get knocked out by Steph Curry in his back yard or you can get the "homecourt" advantage in Seattle & have Ronny pick up 2 fouls in the games 1st 90 seconds.

I'll take the kids that perform well in class, on the court & in the community. I'm all for progress, but not at any cost. After all, maybe a half full Kennel Club on game night is because there aren't enough Cheerios being eaten across the table.
    Could not agree more with your well put position
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I don't see how this changes anything other than giving the athletes... and it is all 300+ athletes... more support.

Roth said the project’s top priority is student-athlete support services, which has outgrown office space in the Martin Centre. Support services encompasses academic counseling, tutoring, career building, leadership development and life skills for GU’s 325 student-athletes.
    This isn't a separate dorm. This isn't taking the students out of the campus life. It is a support structure for 325 kids that represent GU.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Sittingon50..........+1000

Excellent points and backup material. IMHO, your points are what make GU different from the "factory" schools, and this immersion in the overall campus culture should be maintained and emphasized.

A couple of experiences of the above points: 1) When I attended GU in the early '80's, a basketball starter sat in the seat next to me in a couple of my engineering classes and was a part of our study group. Great guy, and it added a lot to both my college experience and interest in the basketball team. Hopefully, it was a valuable experience for him as well. 2) When my nephew attended GU a few years ago, his 3 on 3 intramural team got to the finals and faced a team led by Kelly Olynyk during his redshirt year. My nephew's team got crushed, obviously, but what a cool memory for him, and what a cool experience for all in that intramural program.

That is the essence of the GU experience to me, and the most important part of the GU culture, at least as it pertains to athletics, and basketball in particular. IMHO, that culture should be cherished and continue to be emphasized. Not sure the CAA speaks to that..............

Go ZAGS

Not sure if I can buy into the "I'm not going to try to get better because X can happen to negate all my hard work."

If you do everything you can to put yourself in a good situation --generally good things happen (i.e. more students attending school, the school growing the facilities leading to more money invested into the Spokane community and job growth).

If you choose to not do things because you are worried about something negative happening -- "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take".

Making the college better for students and athletes does make a difference for the overall quality of the school, the individuals that will attend along with the Spokane community and alumni.

Many understand that growth and moving forward can come with challenges and many people do not like change --but it is part of life.

Once you look beyond the basketball team (and how they will do in the dance) and to the school and community you have a better shot at the big picture.

When I attended GU late 80's/early 90's I had athletes in my classes --the same way the current students share the classes with our athletes--that won't change.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Sittingon50..........+1000

Excellent points and backup material. IMHO, your points are what make GU different from the "factory" schools, and this immersion in the overall campus culture should be maintained and emphasized.

A couple of experiences of the above points: 1) When I attended GU in the early '80's, a basketball starter sat in the seat next to me in a couple of my engineering classes and was a part of our study group. Great guy, and it added a lot to both my college experience and interest in the basketball team. Hopefully, it was a valuable experience for him as well. 2) When my nephew attended GU a few years ago, his 3 on 3 intramural team got to the finals and faced a team led by Kelly Olynyk during his redshirt year. My nephew's team got crushed, obviously, but what a cool memory for him, and what a cool experience for all in that intramural program.

That is the essence of the GU experience to me, and the most important part of the GU culture, at least as it pertains to athletics, and basketball in particular. IMHO, that culture should be cherished and continue to be emphasized. Not sure the CAA speaks to that..............

Go ZAGS
    I am still trying to grasp exactly how this would change ANY of that.

Good points. I will say that I would share in your unhappiness if this was a Basketball only facility. But it's not. This is support for all athletes (the only exception being the practice facility...which does not mean much since they practice at the Mac which is off limits to all but student athletes). Change is part of progress. I have been around this program since the late 70's early 8o's. I can remember my mom's student ID getting our family and the next group of people in the game for free. Gamagin's kids and I could shag balls during warmups and shoot on the court during halftime. Great days but the program has evolved. Nothing about this new center says that the athletes will not perform in class or in the community. They still live in the dorms and eat with the other students. The current environment of being a regular student is one of the reasons the current and future players choose to attend GU. If anything the new Athletic center is for all of the other sports, since Men's hoops already has the best facilities on campus. Besides if chartered airplanes and staying in 5 star resorts has not changed these kids, I doubt a new practice GYM will alter their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Hopefully, it wouldn't.................I may be projecting the large "factory school" sequestration (from the football standpoint, at least) on this facility. This may be another way for GU to break new ground when it comes to athletics at smaller institutions. I have to admit I am not fully versed in the specifics of this proposed facility and how it would be incorporated into the overall campus culture and experience.

We'll see..........

Go ZAGS

A # of good observations & none of them are wrong, just a difference of opinion.

One thing that has been said reminded me of something I left out. I'm sure most of you remember the success of the basketball team causing enrollment to outstrip dorm space. A # of kids were housed in the wing of a nearby hotel & one kid that I coached in HS wound up SHARING a space in one of the dorms which was not a room; they moved out a couple of Coke machines.

My 2 oldest kids graduated in '06 & '07. Neither ever had a class size larger than 30 students, their professor's knew them on a first name basis & had regular office hour's that my kid's availed themselves of if they got stuck on something. I remember sitting in a biology lecture @ EWU in the late 70's that had up to 300 students. As a parent, I appreciated the education my kids got at an uncrowded university.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    The only aspect of the proposed Center for Athletic Achievement that I could see impacting the student-athletes' ability to remain peers with the larger G.U. community and enjoy normal, day-to-day undergraduate interactions and maturation via socialization is the 'Academic Support Services' component. What is that exactly...an athletes only computer lab, study hall, tutoring center?

I'm fine with improved practice facilities and a nutrition center for athletes only as they deserve those kind of resources, and top notch facilities are key for recruiting. However, I sure hope the decision makers draw a line in the sand when it comes to possibly segregating athletes from their peers academically by having an athletes only academic support services component to this proposed new center.

Why not expand the size / quality of resources available in the same computer labs, libraries, writing centers that all G.U. students use rather than create separate such spaces for athletes only? Or perhaps 'Academic Support Services' for athletes only means something other than what it sounds like to me....
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

FYI.....

This facility has been a long time priority for the athletic department. It will contain a hall of fame, both for Gonzaga athletics and the university as a whole. The hall of fame will be the first time in many years the university will be able to display the rich athletics history, including football and hockey, at which GU was very successful in the 20’s and 30’s. Has anybody ever seen the trophies the GU men's basketball squad won at Maui or Orlando? No, they’re behind locked doors in the athletic department.

The second component will be an academic support facility for ALL student athletes. Gonzaga simply doesn't have adequate facilities now. This will help to keep GU’s athletes at the top of the academic heap in the WCC, something the school takes great pride in.

The third component will be a nutrition center for all athletes, allowing them to receive the nutritional assistance that has been recently authorized by the NCAA (this will help in improving GU's athletes physically while avoiding some of the minor infractions for meals violations).

Lastly, there will be two dedicated practice courts, one for men's basketball and one for women's basketball.

The restructuring will let the athletic department centralize its offices, they’re currently spread between two buildings.

Gonzaga will never have an athletes’ dorm. It will never happen.

And the Zags absolutely need this facility to be competitive in recruiting.

Keep in mind that this is being funded by university benefactors. They have some say, I think, with how their money gets spent.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    The only aspect of the proposed Center for Athletic Achievement that I could see impacting the student-athletes' ability to remain peers with the larger G.U. community and enjoy normal, day-to-day undergraduate interactions and maturation via socialization is the 'Academic Support Services' component. What is that exactly...an athletes only computer lab, study hall, tutoring center?

I'm fine with improved practice facilities and a nutrition center for athletes only as they deserve those kind of resources, and top notch facilities are key for recruiting. However, I sure hope the decision makers draw a line in the sand when it comes to possibly segregating athletes from their peers academically by having an athletes only academic support services component to this proposed new center.

Why not expand the size / quality of resources available in the same computer labs, libraries, writing centers that all G.U. students use rather than create separate such spaces for athletes only? Or perhaps 'Academic Support Services' for athletes only means something other than what it sounds like to me....
    They already have these services. Nearly every D1 school does. It is tutoring, coordination for travel, etc. It isn't to isolate the athletes from other students... it is to help them get a better education that can be somewhat disrupted by sports. My daughter plays D2 tennis... she doesn't get that support, but I see the amount of time she puts in during the season... it is substantial. These services help these students who are committing massive amounts of what would be free and study time to their respective sports instead. This is just to allow them to expand it out to truly be able to help all 325 students.

The athletes also must also take classes at certain times of day and on certain days in order to accommodate practice time, travel and game competition. This all has to be coordinated by someone at an administrative level. They also often have traveling staff proctoring exams on the road. The work these folks do is commonplace on D1 campuses. They need better facilities.

Gonzaga’s Board of Trustees approves funds for new athletic facility

"The Gonzaga University Board of Trustee’s has approved a $24 million, 51,000-square-foot Center for Athletic Achievement, with construction scheduled to finish in the Fall of 2017, the Spokane Journal of Business reported on Tuesday."

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016...source=twitter