Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post MT talk

Default Post MT talk

Glad to get the win.

So much to work on.

They were a good team, I think we need to give them that credit.

But, my god, we're not anywhere near a top team right now.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Glad to get the win.

So much to work on.

They were a good team, I think we need to give them that credit.

But, my god, we're not anywhere near a top team right now.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Can we please just never schedule another team coached by Ken Bone again? Please!

Bad shooting night... not all attributable to Montana D. Finals are next week... All in all ugly win, but a win. They found a way to pull out a gritty win and that will pay dividends down the road.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Yeah, this one was disappointing. MT has a good team, but GU clearly still has a very long way to go. It was nice to see the team gut one out. That said...

We really need more leadership and are desperately missing a take-charge guy in the backcourt. Luckily Josh is starting to look the part a bit more.

Way too many lazy passes and a few really high-risk, low reward post entry passes, especially on the high-low.

Really stark lack of help-side defense on a few occasions.

Kyle Dranginis looks far more timid than I expected.

We really miss Karnowski.

In the last five years, can anyone remember a win that was worse than this one? A squeaker...over Montana...at home...while ranked in the Top 20. That was awful.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

I can understand why most are so concerned about the backcourt, but Perkins and McClellan both made a handful of key plays in the 2nd half, wouldn't have won without those 2. Need Melson to snap out of his funk he's been in lately. Dranginis at least took some shots tonight, but was 0-fer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    In the last five years, can anyone remember a win that was worse than this one? A squeaker...over Montana...at home...while ranked in the Top 20. That was awful.
    Nothing specific, but EVERY year in the WCC there are some really ugly nail biting wins against crappy teams that have no business hanging around against the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I can understand why most are so concerned about the backcourt, but Perkins and McClellan both made a handful of key plays in the 2nd half, wouldn't have won without those 2. Need Melson to snap out of his funk he's been in lately. Dranginis at least took some shots tonight, but was 0-fer.
    He should keep taking them. Once they start to fall he'll become a real changer for this team.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The first round squeaker in the NCAA's as a 1 seed.

Thing is - there's scant evidence that says that this is exactly what Melson is.

I've seen little indication that he's capable of consistent high level play. He's had spurts, yes. But, I'm starting to worry that this is who Melson is. A very streaky, very high risk player, not dependable at this point.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Nothing specific, but EVERY year in the WCC there are some really ugly nail biting wins against crappy teams that have no business hanging around against the Zags.
    +1, every year basically. There was some hustle tonight and some extra effort than what we saw before -- that is a hopeful sign. Cut down on the mental mistakes, make better decisions and clean things up and maybe they will surprise us this year, March is still a long ways away.

Guards were terrible in the first half; looked shaken and lost.

But Perkins and EM both really stepped up in the second half, especially down the stretch. I saw major growth in the second half, especially finishing the game with clutch plays before and after that freak 5 point play by Mt.

Dickau or Fox said something about growing up tonite. I agree. They finished against a good team, one that beat Boise (on the road, I think?) and just wiped the floor with USF by 32.

Perkins and EM, at least, can take something positive from this going forward. Baby steps. They were tested and passed, if barely.

Good seeing Perkins make clutch shots

Bad seeing Dranginis so timid and shaky offensively.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

There was improvement, some recognition by Perkins and McClellan that they know they need to improve and they did improve. One other positive, our guards are clearly doing well on the defensive end of the court and even while struggling on offense, they are not letting down.

McClellan quietly was solid.

Perkins wasn't good but clutch with his shooting again. Way too flippant with the ball again as well.

Melson was awful for 2nd game in a row, didn't looked like he belonged on the court.

Dranginis was getting burned, missing shots, timid with the ball, hesitant passing...possibly his worst game as a Zag.

Still think we MUST groom Alberts. Best shooter of the bunch, little rigid, yet I sense potential & a team player. Big mistake not logging him more minutes even with mistakes.

When Dranginis is missing he can be a liability, thus the need for Alberts as the next versatile guard/wing. What could it hurt?

Sabonis was effective as usual. Quiet but solid. Still ridiculously emotional over dumb fouls, but might be improving.

Wiltjer looked out of it. Tired. He's so good, even his half-ass effort on offense is more than good enough & usually better than the opponent. Our team and ineffective guard play puts too much pressure on him to create. He misses a pick n roll guy. Guarantee NWG makes him look like NBA all star in practice, as he's amazing at the pick n roll.

I predicted another struggle and it was. We won. Didn't look good, especially defensively in 2nd half, but clutch down the stretch.

Melson was pitiful, same with my favorite, Dranginis. I liked McClellan this game. Perkins bailed himself out again with key shots. Sabonis solid. Wiltjer in scrimmage mode but works. Alberts still needs more run. Edwards had nice upside and warrants more consistent PT.

We won. Cool.

Going to get our butt whipped by UCLA unless Karno returns.

And he 'might'.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    There was improvement, some recognition by Perkins and McClellan that they know they need to improve and they did improve. One other positive, our guards are clearly doing well on the defensive end of the court and even while struggling on offense, they are not letting down.
    I think that's important to note. Our defense is better than it's been in a while. Thank god.

We MUST fix the beginning of 2nd half give-back of 6-9 points. We have had one game this year where we came out and shut a team down cold coming out of the half and that was Pitt. Since then, seems like we've struggled every game.
    Mark Twain.

UGLY win................but a win.

Perks and EMac stepped up at the end, maybe turning the corner.

Draino absolutely invisible again. A starter who is scoreless the last 2 games. He is a real liability on the offensive end...............

Why not give Alberts some minutes and some rope in games like this. The team is going to need his 3-point shot later in the year.

UCLA could be a really ugly affair if there aren't some immediate improvements in the back court and Karno is still out.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I think that's important to note. Our defense is better than it's been in a while. Thank god.

We MUST fix the beginning of 2nd half give-back of 6-9 points. We have had one game this year where we came out and shut a team down cold coming out of the half and that was Pitt. Since then, seems like we've struggled every game.
    You are right about the give back at the beginning of the second half, but that came from the Montana big man that had been virtually shut out in the first half.

Montana is good, they beat Boise State

The UCLA that beat Kentucky or the UCLA that lost to Monmouth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    McClellan quietly was solid.

Perkins wasn't good but clutch with his shooting again. Way too flippant with the ball again as well.

Melson was awful for 2nd game in a row, didn't looked like he belonged on the court.

Dranginis was getting burned, missing shots, timid with the ball, hesitant passing...possibly his worst game as a Zag.

Still think we MUST groom Alberts. Best shooter of the bunch, little rigid, yet I sense potential & a team player. Big mistake not logging him more minutes even with mistakes.

When Dranginis is missing he can be a liability, thus the need for Alberts as the next versatile guard/wing. What could it hurt?

Sabonis was effective as usual. Quiet but solid. Still ridiculously emotional over dumb fouls, but might be improving.

Wiltjer looked out of it. Tired. He's so good, even his half-ass effort on offense is more than good enough & usually better than the opponent. Our team and ineffective guard play puts too much pressure on him to create. He misses a pick n roll guy. Guarantee NWG makes him look like NBA all star in practice, as he's amazing at the pick n roll.

I predicted another struggle and it was. We won. Didn't look good, especially defensively in 2nd half, but clutch down the stretch.

Melson was pitiful, same with my favorite, Dranginis. I liked McClellan this game. Perkins bailed himself out again with key shots. Sabonis solid. Wiltjer in scrimmage mode but works. Alberts still needs more run. Edwards had nice upside and warrants more consistent PT.

We won. Cool.

Going to get our butt whipped by UCLA unless Karno returns.

And he 'might'.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Why not give Alberts some minutes and some rope in games like this. The team is going to need his 3-point shot later in the year.
    Been saying this the past 5 games...

What could it hurt?

Thee best shooter. Pretty athletic. Solid post passer. Seems OK ballhandler. Most unselfish guard. Can defend the half court, still learning transition D.

Point is, needs grooming. Upside is obvious. We will NEED his shooting by season's end, if not now.

This isn't a case against Dranginis whatsoever. Kyle is a do-it-all guard with a terrific +/- ability, yet he's like 2-15 last few games. He's in a funk. He, himself, admitted he's most comfortable coming off the bench...

Just saying we will need Alberts as the next versatile guard when Dranginis struggles or need a scoring presence.

Bryan Alberts was the leading scorer for Netherlands u-20 team this off-season & already some scoring punch in games he's logged minutes.

Stopped getting mins when he went 0-2 one game & struggled in transition defense. I've seen guards on this team do so much worse and not lose PT.

Biggest thing I see missing last 4 games:

Karno injury/missing

Alberts lossed PT

Neither is helping thus far...

Much better team WITH Karno & Alberts shooting 5 shots a game...right?

Time to readjust expectations. It looks very much like Few's worst team.

Just punching a post season ticket should be considered a big achievement for this group.

BYU has not looked all that great this season. If ever there was a time for a mid tier WCC team to emerge, it appears that this is the season. Opportunities like this are rare for the rest of the conference. Who can take advantage?

I expect a lot of streaks to end this season. We knew it couldn't last forever.
    I miss Mike Hart

I can't tell how much of this is the loss of Karno?

Some. Yes. He gets easy buckets, makes buckets inside for the other team difficult. And, takes some heat off Sabonis.

But, these problems seem focused so much on the 1-3. Yes, Perk and eMac played better. I still feel like they're underperforming (offensively)

And the problems out front are taking away from our most effective weapon, KW. Teams can seemingly blanket him PLUS, he seems to have no clue where to go b/c the guards have no idea how they're supposed to get him the ball.

KD? Melson? right now? Hurting us, bad. LIzF says Melson needs to see some shots go down. I hope he's right, but we've really been waiting a while. I realize he had the 3 in a row against UCONN, but otherwise . . KD is trying to be a glue guy when we need more of a leader and we need more scoring from his spot and it's just not happening. We're playing 4-5 offensively. Hurts.

Agree with others. 5 minutes of Alberts a half, cannot possibly hurt.
    Mark Twain.

What couldn't last forever?
    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Time to readjust expectations. It looks very much like Few's worst team.

Just punching a post season ticket should be considered a big achievement for this group.

BYU has not looked all that great this season. If ever there was a time for a mid tier WCC team to emerge, it appears that this is the season. Opportunities like this are rare for the rest of the conference. Who can take advantage?

I expect a lot of streaks to end this season. We knew it couldn't last forever.