Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me on Perkins

Default Help me on Perkins

Can anyone help me understanding Perkins? Forget his field goal shooting, that comes and goes. I'm even willing to overlook his free-throw shooting. He can't be that bad all year. But his ball handling and passing are just atrocious. Which numbskull scout described him as the best passing prospect in 10 years? And to be honest a lot of it is unforced. He just makes fundamentally stupid plays. Help, anyone?

One consolation I guess is that its pretty certain he's going to stay for five years.

Default Help, anyone ?

He's just a freshman ??

Added:

I wondered where Josh's 1st 10 games stood in comparison to the 1st 10 games of Kevin Pangos * as far as A/TO. So I looked it up

Josh Perkins 1st 10 (5 games last year, 5 games this year) 33 Assists, 27 Turnovers
    Kevin Pangos 1st 10 (2011-12 Season): 35 Assists, 17 TO's
    Matt Bouldin (2006-07 Season): 37 Assts, 24 TO's
    David Stockton (2010-11): 12 Assts / 11 TO's
    Jeremy Pargo (2005-06): 30 Assts / 31 TO's

* I'll add a few other notable Zags' PG's "first ten" A/TO numbers if I can find 'em.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-28-2015 at 06:06 AM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

He makes great passes that nobody else sees, and he makes boneheaded passes that result in turnovers. It's a matter of weeding out the latter without killing the creativity that leads to the former. I think he can improve.

I still have faith in him. He needs court time. He's got the vision, just needs time to work out his decision making issues. Plus...he really needs to play in full on aggressive mode to be effective. When he is passive, his handle is loose and he makes dumb plays. He is much better playing to score and create.

but...we are going to have to live with a few bonehead passes while he figures it out. I was screaming at the TV in our last possession when he drove and then kicked it to Melson with no time left on the shot clock.

I am more concerned about his tendency to get trapped so often.

But Perkins, like most of our guards, really needs to work on his entry passes. Its painful to watch out bigs work for position and then the ball just gets kicked around the outside.

Patience, Brooklyner.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Patience, Brooklyner.
    Ez for u to say. Not in our DNA.

needs to stay out of foul trouble, that would help. he's a freshman so all that in and out maybe has affected him? it can affect older players too...idk. so many whistles can make you kind of passive sometimes, he can't play well passive, whatever causes it. I think he's OK at the entries so far

and this for all those guards...when those Ds collapse on the block whether it's Shem or Domas or KW, the guards have got to be moving to open spot ups or making smart cuts to the hoop and ready to attack and make those Ds pay for having to scramble!! it's a mindset that says something like you better freakin guard me...how dare you not guard me!

we've seen some signs. has to stay on the floor tho without fouling. that's one thing
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 11-27-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: other thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gotta be KD with Mac and DS close behind. Perks gets whatever the opposite award is. Just awful.

I really believe that if Perkins could have played an entire season with Pangos and Bell his game would be much more consistent and effective. He was "cheated" last year by what should have been a Flagrant 2 foul. I think he is doing quite well regarding this being his first year in D1...he has a lot to learn and in the second half of the A&M game, he displayed WHY Coach Few went after this guy so hard!

We all know he is a smart and selfless player and the team will benefit from his learning in the first 10-15 games...IMO he will be ready by Dance Time.

Default Handles

Who dealing cares? BALL SECURITY and FT shooting won KP 122 freaking games! Did these guys learn nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    He makes great passes that nobody else sees, and he makes boneheaded passes that result in turnovers. It's a matter of weeding out the latter without killing the creativity that leads to the former. I think he can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    Who dealing cares? BALL SECURITY and FT shooting won KP 122 freaking games! Did these guys learn nothing?
    Starting as a freshmen also helps with that win total...Perkins is going to be close to that win total (if not past it) and end up being the better PG
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Can anyone help me understanding Perkins? Forget his field goal shooting, that comes and goes. I'm even willing to overlook his free-throw shooting. He can't be that bad all year. But his ball handling and passing are just atrocious. Which numbskull scout described him as the best passing prospect in 10 years? And to be honest a lot of it is unforced. He just makes fundamentally stupid plays. Help, anyone?

One consolation I guess is that its pretty certain he's going to stay for five years.
    Take a deep breath. It's a game.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Ironic that you used the term "numbskull" in your rant.
    Don't u you mean self referential. If you're going to be snarky, be snarky.

Your lead guard needs to facilitate the offense (get the ball to your bigs in good position to score ----bigs are fighting down low for good position --need to reward them for the hard work) ---I don't see Perkins doing much of that.

The lead guard needs to not get into foul trouble so that he can stay on the floor to facilitate the offense. If you pick up one foul in the 1st half---the light needs to go on and he needs to understand the next foul he is sitting (so do not be as aggressive on defense). If the team needs him to be in to help--there is no way that he should ever pick up a 3rd foul in the 1st half.

Your lead guard can't have more turnovers than assists --and should be the leading team in assists---Dranginis has more assists than Perkins on the year--but Dranginis plays better defense and has been staying out of foul trouble.

Your lead guard needs to be able to hit free throws--- the ball is in his hands at the end of the half and at the end of the game --he needs to be able to hit the free throws to make teams pay for fouling to stop the clock.

Don't pick up your dribble without a plan and don't drive then jump into the air with no plan about who you are passing to.

With NWG in the wings for next year--we will be in much more experienced and capable hands (and this will take the pressure off Perkins--allow him to further develop)---but as was mentioned before--our bigs will be gone.

Few has lots of tape that he can use to help Josh figure it out---Josh just needs to watch it and improve his thought process--given time he will make headway in the right direction.

Nevermind.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I don't mind what I'm seeing. He didn't learn jack his last year of high school and had a chip on his shoulder after getting taken out last year so now he's learning g on the go. It's rough but he shows an ability to learn and improve every game.

I am going to agree with Reno. He is a freshman and makes freshman errors. The coaches have something to work on. they can use film to show many concepts.

all four of our guards are on a huge learning curve,
    Josh, Eric, and Silas make lots of faces when fouls are called on them, and exchange glances like "these refs are crazy" and "I've been ripped off again"
    all 3 of them have been very concerned with how they look, and being cool; they may get more like Bell and Delly who didn't care if they looked cool or not
    these last two games will undoubtedly provide experiences that will mature them in the attitude and demeanor dept.
    I am glad we have only one loss instead of two while learning ...
    all three will get their heads on much straighter by Feb
    our backcourt will get better and better, and the team will advance at that speed
    just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Nevermind.
    You got that right.

Let's revisit this post after about 10 games in this season.
    I think we will see improvement in his overall game.

Just some very dumb early season comments being made; yes I'm also referring to you jazz. I know you're a curmudgeon but I thought you were a more knowledgable fan. Not every freshman is Blake Stepp or Kevin Pangos from the get go. Josh is playing fine but still trying to figure out his role on this team just like all our other guards. I'm pretty damn excited by what I've seen especially knowing it's only going to get better. Our guards have been thrown into the fire with early games against Pitt, A&M and Uconn. Not sure the previously mentioned guards had to play those types of teams with this kind of travel in their first 5 games. These games are only going to make us that much stronger as the season progresses and quite frankly I'm not sure we lose more than 1 game here on out. I'll take our 4-1 start and be happy about it considering outside of our big 3 and Draino we don't have a ton of game experience.

I really believe that if Perkins could have played an entire season with Pangos and Bell his game would be much more consistent and effective. He was "cheated" last year by what should have been a Flagrant 2 foul.
    Agreed with the first point...but whether the foul was a flagrant 2 or not is moot at this point. I think it's time to collectively just let that go. We've got what we've got. There's potential, and improvement is certain, but consistent excellence is a good way off still.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Default Spectacular or disastrous

A few weeks ago Matt Santangelo said that Perkins has enormously more potential than Pangos. However you might see a spectacular pass one play and he might throw it 30 rows up into the seats the next. He said Pangos came in at a steady, solid level and stayed there for 4 years. Perkins has a higher upside but consistency will only come with time.

Default Be patient

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    A few weeks ago Matt Santangelo said that Perkins has enormously more potential than Pangos. However you might see a spectacular pass one play and he might throw it 30 rows up into the seats the next. He said Pangos came in at a steady, solid level and stayed there for 4 years. Perkins has a higher upside but consistency will only come with time.
    Santangelo is correct. Everybody needs to calm down. Remember Pargo as a freshman. Flashes of potential followed by a poor decision or pass. He improved every year.

Half caterpillar, half butterfly right now. Still emerging from the cocoon of the last 2 seasons- injured, in regression on a terrible Huntington team.

Simple as that. As the wise one said in one word, "patience".

We should all be nothing but grateful he chose to play for the Zags.