Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: WCC = no good this year

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    414

    Default WCC = no good this year

    It appears that the conference will be down this year--probably big time----the bottom is looking reallllllly bad and the top, sans Gonzaga, won't impress anybody.......Pacific addition will haunt us this year for sure-----Santa Clara wouldn't finish in the top half of the Big West--Portland..down---Loyola...no good---San Diego....going to stink badly -----------we'll probably have 5 teams +200 in the RPI come January 1st....that will hurt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    BYU lost their opener... The final score makes it look a lot closer than it was. they STUNK for 3/4 of the game

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Nothing we can do about it except control what we can. Gonzaga has a huge opportunity with their OOC schedule to make some noise and we will have to be successful in that regard. You know BYU and SMC will play us tough they always do. We will know in a week or so what we have in our team.
    America's Team!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    We knew it was going to be worse than usual (it's always bad) when people have been hyping up a team that went .500 in the WCC and didn't even make the NIT last year. Got blown out in the first round of the CBI and we're supposed to be on alert...


    "Pepperdine will be really good!" = "The conference is garbage."
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    I really like the WCC....their preseason Conference RPI is around 10 0r 11 out of 33 conferences... I wouldn't call that garbage...

    Just win and nothing else matters...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,206

    Default

    It is what it is.

    Just wish our conference games gave me the same excitement as our non every year.

    Kinda bi-polar every season in that way.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    686

    Default

    I hate that it makes us think we are better than we are by dominating them. I also think it weaknesses don't get exposed either, but just win baby!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,710

    Cool Utah

    BYU's annual match-up w/#16 Utah is gonna be huge for our conference (and BYU's "dance" possibilities). Hope they win that one. Unfortunately it's an away game.

    Saint Mary's annually plays #15 Cal and Stanford. Those could be biggies for the conference, too.


    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I really like the WCC....their preseason Conference RPI is around 10 0r 11 out of 33 conferences... I wouldn't call that garbage...

    Just win and nothing else matters...
    I actually would call this garbage---today's RPI

    5 (183) Pepperdine .4921 4-4
    6 (275) San Diego .4267 2-6
    7 (278) Santa Clara .4248 2-7
    8 (289) Pacific .4172 0-6
    9 (316) Portland .3925 3-6
    10 (325) San Francisco .3819

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,226

    Default

    I request that we please refrain from using RPI as a guide for just about anything this early in the season. Numbers don't make sense until at least 10-15 games in.

    That being said... I am beginning to wonder if Pacific may end up ahead of USF in the end.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I request that we please refrain from using RPI as a guide for just about anything this early in the season. Numbers don't make sense until at least 10-15 games in.

    That being said... I am beginning to wonder if Pacific may end up ahead of USF in the end.
    I think you'll be right about Pacific. While they haven't won any D-1 games, they haven't lost by a whole lot. Their biggest loss was against Arizona (79-61). Their other loses are all under 8 points, and three of those 3 points or less.
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    St Mary's is 6-0 and their starting backcourt has been outstanding. Collectively averaging 20 apg, & 44% 3pt as a team.

    Their SG, Naar, is shooting 65% from 3pt. Averaging 6 assists per game.

    Their PG, Joe Rahon is a player. He's averaging 8 assists per game. Was also an All-ACC selection last few years as well.

    The Gael guards will make our guards look like puppies p!ssing on a porch.

    SMC's front court is average, but an interesting contrast of strengths. I feel they are being overlooked, when they might be more formidable than last 2 seasons.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,281

    Default

    Jerry Palm will tell you that the RPI numbers don't make sense until February. One cycle of conference play needs to kick in.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,310

    Default

    The word I would choose for SMC's victory over Stanford a few weeks ago is domination. Very lopsided, and SMC wins at least 7 out of ten if they played more, IMO.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    OCC excites me, post season excites me....WCC...blah... Can't we just throw together a football program so our basketball program can play in the Pac-12?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    The word I would choose for SMC's victory over Stanford a few weeks ago is domination. Very lopsided, and SMC wins at least 7 out of ten if they played more, IMO.
    Other than St Mary's and BYU is there really any other WCC game (outside the conf tourney) worth watching? Not really!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    35

    Default

    KenPom has both St. Mary's and BYU in the 40-75 range. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they weren't abysmal. I'd trust KenPom a lot more than RPI right now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    BYU's annual match-up w/#16 Utah is gonna be huge for our conference (and BYU's "dance" possibilities). Hope they win that one.
    So much for this ... Was at the game (rooting hard for a BYU loss - just can't bring myself to root for them in any scenario) and BYU got manhandled in the first half. Got hot enough from 3-pt-range in the second to make it close, but they were pretty solidly outmatched. Poetl can really play.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Other than St Mary's and BYU is there really any other WCC game (outside the conf tourney) worth watching? Not really!
    I watch them all and enjoy them all, and there have been some upsets and some very close games.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike83814 View Post
    KenPom has both St. Mary's and BYU in the 40-75 range. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they weren't abysmal. I'd trust KenPom a lot more than RPI right now.
    KenPom is actually pretty unreliable at this point in the season ... Takes a solid sample size before their algorithm works the way it's meant to. Until recently, they wouldn't even post rankings until about 15 games into the season.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Other than St Mary's and BYU is there really any other WCC game (outside the conf tourney) worth watching? Not really!
    Careful what you ask for, that's usually when we get rolled by a Portland or this time, a pepperdine.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike83814 View Post
    KenPom has both St. Mary's and BYU in the 40-75 range. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they weren't abysmal. I'd trust KenPom a lot more than RPI right now.
    71/60 respectively. SMC rising rapidly.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Uhh.. yeah

    Why were some picking Pepperdine to be relevant this year? Is it a trendy sleeper pick? Because they blow. Like always.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    I actually would call this garbage---today's RPI

    5 (183) Pepperdine .4921 4-4
    6 (275) San Diego .4267 2-6
    7 (278) Santa Clara .4248 2-7
    8 (289) Pacific .4172 0-6
    9 (316) Portland .3925 3-6
    10 (325) San Francisco .3819
    Kenpom:

    4 Pep 132
    5 Ptld 216
    6 Pac 217
    7 USF 224
    8 LMU 241
    9 SC 251
    10 USD 266

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    KenPom is actually pretty unreliable at this point in the season ... Takes a solid sample size before their algorithm works the way it's meant to. Until recently, they wouldn't even post rankings until about 15 games into the season.
    I've found a 90% correlation between his pre-season rankings and his final rankings. That's actually pretty reliable.

    The Zags have been especially predictable. Over the last 5 seasons, the Zags have finished no worse than 11 spots from pre-season with an average variance of only 5.8 ranking positions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •