Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our backcourt rotation:

Default These guards this game

Our post defense is equally 'doh'.

Slick floor or not, doesn't explain silly TO's.

Gotta give Melson more opportunity especially if Perk & McClellan are going to be passive/timid.

Default Our backcourt rotation:

Roles for all these guys will start to sort out and develop as we go along - I believe it's too early to categorize these guys (especially without the ability to use their speed today)...

Get used to it. The staff is going to have to experiment to see which combinations work. Ideally, they would be playing an easier schedule to figure it all out, but that's just the way it is. They're in a tough situation this year.

Was hoping to see some good basketball tonight...bummed that it turned out the way it did, but with that floor, that didn't even resemble a basketball game.

how many threads you going to start about how bad the guards were? you would think one would suffice.

IMO the superb guard play the last 4 years has been taken for granted. This team's a work in progress. I saw enough good things to feel ok about it. Would have been great to see how they adjusted in the second half, but it's hard to take anything from play under these conditions anyway.

It's wrong to judge them while playing on that floor. EMac and Perkins rely on quick feet and hard cuts -- impossible on that floor.
    Both teams are fortunate there wasn't a major injury.

I saw enough to know I am no longer a fan of playing all three bigs together.
    My preferred lineup is now: Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, Wiltjer, Karnowski. Sub in McClellan and Sabonis to up the defensive intensity.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    IMO the superb guard play the last 4 years has been taken for granted. This team's a work in progress. I saw enough good things to feel ok about it. Would have been great to see how they adjusted in the second half, but it's hard to take anything from play under these conditions anyway.
    This.

One half, weird environment, high pressure, our bigs not doing a lot well, silly to take too much away from 20 minutes. And we certainly did take for granted "near mistake-free backcourt basketball" the last few years.

The good thing is that I think these guys' ceiling is higher and maybe we'll be like the power boys who have such turnover they start so raw every year, but by the end of the year are coming on strong. We've seen it a million times.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I'm more worried about spotting the other team a lead because we're starting the big 3 rather then the guard play. That's a rather a simple answer, Josh Perkins needs to be more assertive.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG#1 View Post
    It's wrong to judge them while playing on that floor. EMac and Perkins rely on quick feet and hard cuts -- impossible on that floor.
    I agree 100%. Take away anyone's strengths and they look pretty pedestrian. Neither will be the game manager Pangos was, but have strengths he didn't. The floor took those away from them tonight. I can't take much away from this game other than it was great to finally see the Zags again.

WIN --- LOSE --- OR DRAW.

We needed this game more than they did.

Rpi Wise. SOS wise.

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    I agree 100%. Take away anyone's strengths and they look pretty pedestrian. Neither will be the game manager Pangos was, but have strengths he didn't. The floor took those away from them tonight. I can't take much away from this game other than it was great to finally see the Zags again.
    That's why you assess in a relative sense. They didn't look good relative to Pitt's guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    WIN --- LOSE --- OR DRAW.

We needed this game more than they did.

Rpi Wise. SOS wise.
    That won't be an issue. While it won't show on the "official' SOS or RPI it WILL be discussed "in the room" on Selection Sunday ..... no question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    That won't be an issue. While it won't show on the "official' SOS or RPI it WILL be discussed "in the room" on Selection Sunday ..... no question about it.
    Good point. It will be discussed. We played.

Didn't perform very well, but we still played...

3 of the 5 guards in our rotation are playing their first meaningful minutes. McClellan looked a bit off but his speed was the most affected factor by the floor. Dranginis looked pretty good to me.

It's going to take time. The transition from 4-year starters to this group was never going to be easy. In addition to their own growth, the "bigs" are getting used to playing with guards that are better slashers than outside shooters. It's an adjustment process all around.

i disagree. I'm not sure the Pitt guards could have stayed in front of Emac or Perk. Just different skill sets. Not fair comparison.
    I'm happy the zag guards didn't push the limit on that floor and get injured.

Aren't KW and DS so much fun to watch. Breathtaking BB players.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Aren't KW and DS so much fun to watch. Breathtaking BB players.
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I disagree. First game of the year on that floor? Players had to be playing timid to try to prevent slips and injury. And in spite of the conditions, the Zags were able to recover from an early deficit to take the lead again (even though they were down at the half). So how can the committee on Selection Sunday give it any credence? There's no way that learned adults can pretend to draw anything from that 20 minutes. On the contrary, I believe we caught a bit of a break. That failed attempt at a basketball game will be purged from the memories of anyone that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG#1 View Post
    This post is right on and no more need be said

Agreed Bulldog1 and gobroncs. No way to tell what are guards are. That floor took our guards out of their games completely. I thought our guards looked more athletic and quicker when we weren't sliding all over the floor.

Perkins and Melson had flashes. I wish Few would keep them on the floor and just let the kids develop.

McClellan is just brutal on the offensive end.