Thread: Toughest non conference schedules

Default Toughest non conference schedules

Thanks for the link, Doc. There are a lot of DVR-worthy games in that slate.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Tough slate for Long Beach State:
    This year's schedule features road games at Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Colorado State and Pepperdine. Plus, home games vs. Brigham Young and San Diego State. And LBSU is playing in the Charleston Classic, starting with Seton Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Beach often has a very difficult schedule. I think sometimes they overschedule. Playing good teams to prepare you for the conference play is one thing, but getting beat up and losing a bunch of games and having a losing record doesn't seem like a wise strategy. Some years they are good enough to hang in against the tough competition and win some of the games, but other years not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Beach often has a very difficult schedule. I think sometimes they overschedule. Playing good teams to prepare you for the conference play is one thing, but getting beat up and losing a bunch of games and having a losing record doesn't seem like a wise strategy. Some years they are good enough to hang in against the tough competition and win some of the games, but other years not at all.
    It is a tough one, but I still prefer that philosophy to the Randy Bennett "Let me schedule 20 wins a year" philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Just part of the sports business………..link

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    It is a tough one, but I still prefer that philosophy to the Randy Bennett "Let me schedule 20 wins a year" philosophy.
    Somewhere in between I believe lies a happy medium. Agree with you, I'm not down with Bennett's philosophy that pretty much counts on having to beat Gonzaga at least once to get an NCAA Tourney resume worthy W.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Not going to be too harsh, because there might be financial limitations or something, but their schedule is a joke. Yes they play Cal and Stanford, but they don't go anywhere or play anyone. If there isn't some really good reason for this, they have no hope of becoming an elite type program and they have now slipped into the dragging the conference down category.