Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KELLY with the Celtics 2015

Default KELLY with the Celtics 2015

Celtics Nets

Kelly played 17:52 minutes. He had 14 points, 4 rebounds, 3 fouls , 2 turnovers, 1 block

ZaGranny
    Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Picking up where he left off, nice!

I liked this pic of Kelly Tussling with Dahntay Jones from last night['s game:

Another nice one:

DNP last night due to a b.s. 1 game suspension from when he got tangled up with Kevin Love last season

11 points and 2 rebounds in 17 minutes last night.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/gamecast?game...re&src=desktop

Spurs 95 Celtics 87

Celtics kept fighting until the end.

Kelly played 13 minutes. He scored no points, but had 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 RO's, 1 steal, 1 block.

ZaGranny

Default Celts put up 72 points in the first half against the Wizards!

This was one of most entertaining games I've seen lately. Kelly was one of the big showmen along with Isaiah Thomas and Jerod Sullinger, but everyone was showing off.

Kelly: 27 min FG 7-11 3's 3-5 FT 2-3 REB 7 AST 4 ST 4 BL 1

He took one charge and played some great D.

+/- +29

Entertaining game story from Masslive.com:
    Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk great as Boston Celtics roll Washington Wizards, 118-98

Boston Celtics center Kelly Olynyk (41) blocks a shot by Washington Wizards guard Ramon Sessions (7) during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game in Boston, Friday, Nov. 6, 2015
    --- Kelly Olynyk (19 points, seven rebounds, four steals, four assists, one block) was benched for the entire second half of Wednesday night's loss to the Indiana Pacers, but should never be benched again if he sustains his play from Friday night. What a clinic in passing, cutting and impacting the offense with his unique combination of size and skill. Once it all got going for him, the big man even leaned into passing lanes for steals, slid his feet to take a charge and swatted one shot into the second row. More of that please, Kelly.

ESPN ran a nice article regarding K.O.'s impact on both sides of the floor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celti...-of-confidence

Thanks for the Links ZN!

On a side note, it's fun to read the Real GM Celtics board, it sure has some real idiots there.

There are some who will never accept Kelly for who he is.......A guy who with outstanding talent and height, but with limited wingspan and athleticism. A guy who plays with all of his heart.

For some he just doesn't pass the "eye test" of what they think their players should look like...

On the other hand, the fans in the stands really seem to enjoy watching him play and give his all.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    On a side note, it's fun to read the Real GM Celtics board, it sure has some real idiots there.

There are some who will never accept Kelly for who he is.......A guy who with outstanding talent and height, but with limited wingspan and athleticism. A guy who plays with all of his heart.

For some he just doesn't pass the "eye test" of what they think their players should look like...

On the other hand, the fans in the stands really seem to enjoy watching him play and give his all.
    Kelly is a very polarizing player in New England. I live in New England and pick up a lot of Boston sports talk radio on my morning commute.

There are fans who think he is the smartest draft pick that Danny Ainge ever made as a general manager and those who believe the pick was so bad that it proves Ainge isn't up to the job. I chuckled when one local caller talked about Olynyk being, "Another one of those McDonald's All-Americans from Gonzaga who never developed in college," shortly after he was drafted.

There are fans who think he is an amazing natural talent who lacks drive and those who think he is a smart, hustling overachiever in the Larry Bird mode.

There are fans who see a great defender and others who see a defensive liability.

There are fans who think he should be traded and those who believe the Celtics should build a team around him.

Go figure.

Default Celtics 99 Bucks 83

Kelly had another good game

He played 22 minutes and had 11 points 1 rebound, 2 assists. He also had a +/- o + 24

ZaGranny

Story about KO:
    Turner, Olynyk are Among NBA’s Top Super-Subs

MILWAUKEE – Those who have watched and covered the Boston Celtics this season have had a fascination with the starting lineup.

Maybe it’s time to start paying more attention to Boston’s two super-subs, instead.

Following Boston’s 99-83 win over the Bucks Tuesday night in Milwaukee, which was fueled by bench play, Evan Turner said that the Celtics have “got a lot of starters on the bench.”

He’s correct. The Celtics do have multiple starter-quality players on the bench. He’s one of them, and Kelly Olynyk is another.

Turner and Olynyk are quietly stringing together unbelievable seasons as reserves. Their seasons became even more impressive during Tuesday night’s victory.

Neither Turner nor Olynyk has started a game this season. Yet they have influenced games in a positive manner this season more than anyone else on Boston’s roster.

Turner was a stat-stuffer – which is becoming a regular occurrence – in Milwaukee. He finished the contest with 13 points, six assists, five rebounds and four steals. The Celtics outscored the Bucks by 32 points while he was on the floor, taking his plus/minus rating on the season to plus-73.

Olynyk didn’t stuff the stat sheet quite as well as his bench buddy, but he sure did make an impact while dropping 11 points on 5-of-8 shooting. His seasonal plus/minus rating is now at plus-57 after Boston outscored Milwaukee by 24 points during his 22 minutes of action.

Turner and Olynyk own the top plus/minus rating among Celtics by a landslide, and they also rank among the top bench ratings in the entire NBA. Turner’s plus-73 ranks third among all reserves. Olynyk’s plus-57, meanwhile, ranks eighth.

These two players make their mark on each game in very different ways. Turner, a swingman, is a playmaker with the ball in his hands who oozes versatility. Olynyk, a 7-footer, outduels opposing big men with skill that is typically found in guards.

Kelly made a couple of key steals during the turning point in the third quarter. The steals were very intentional. At least one steal was from Westbrook.

Celts 100

Thunder (shoulda been Sonics) 85

@ Oklahoma!

I know the Celtics have a deep bench and Coach Stevens is committed to spreading minutes out quite a bit, but I'm starting to wonder if KO has hit a plateau in his development. Is he going to be a journeyman back-up player in the NBA, which is nothing to sneeze at, or can he still develop into a regular starter/star?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I know the Celtics have a deep bench and Coach Stevens is committed to spreading minutes out quite a bit, but I'm starting to wonder if KO has hit a plateau in his development. Is he going to be a journeyman back-up player in the NBA, which is nothing to sneeze at, or can he still develop into a regular starter/star?
    Kelly's stat line v Washington tonight:

Kelly Olynyk, C 21 4-7 4-5 0-0 1 3 4 2 2 1 0 1 +17 12

His stats and +/- were slightly better than starting big Amir Johnson. Johnson got 8 rebounds. I'm going to keep an eye on the comparison. Kelly may continue to play from the bench because he is a rare big who can shoot from the perimeter. He doesn't get as many rebounds when Stevens gives the green light for the three.

Kelly dropped 21 points tonight tying the the game high score of Isaiah Thomas.

Kelly looked like the game was a cakewalk for him and dribbled to the basket for a crowd pleasing dunk.

Celts over Kings 114-97 in Mexico City's altitude.

Glad to see KO put up some points. He's getting some good press.

Kelly Olynyk's game knows no borders

Maybe it was the viral video of him devouring a burrito in four bites. Maybe it was the picture of him wearing a sombrero when he posed with members of Team Canada after a visit earlier this year. For whatever reason, Mexico loves Boston Celtics big man Kelly Olynyk and he loves the country right back.

Olynyk, fresh off scoring a season-high 21 points in Thursday's 114-97 thumping of the Sacramento Kings in Mexico City, was delivering an on-court interview when green-clad fans nearby starting chanting his name. Olynyk instructed the cameraman to pan to the mob, then rushed over to deliver some high-fives before returning to calmly complete the interview.

Olynyk, a Canadian native, would later joke to reporters, "Once I get across any border, my game just elevates to a new level."

The man-bunned Olynyk emptied his tool box in Mexico on Thursday. He burnt the defensively indifferent Kings for 3-pointers when they left him open, broke out the slippery eel in the post, delivered a reverse layup off a strong backdoor cut through two defenders, and even got the one-foot Dirk-like fadeaway to drop.

But his most notable moment came midway through the fourth quarter when Olynyk got rookie Willie Cauley-Stein off his feet with a pump fake at the 3-point stripe then stormed the lane where Air Canada flew straight through Rudy Gay before reaching up to finish an emphatic two-handed slam (Olynyk even indulged by pulling his knees up, Shaq-style, and hanging on the rim a bit briefly after the slam).

Olynyk's effort Thursday is a reminder of what he can be, though Celtics fans know by now not to expect these offensive outbursts on a nightly basis. Olynyk tends to ride waves of confidence and, when he's aggressive like he was from the onset Thursday, he often produces these highlight mixes. Alas, Olynyk had scored just 22 points total over Boston's previous four games.

What helps Olynyk's cause is that, even when he's not scoring, his floor-stretching abilities are helping the Celtics. And he's grown into a surprisingly capable defender whose length is enough to disrupt opponents.

The league's player-tracking data suggests that Olynyk's opponents are shooting a whopping 7.1 percent below their season averages when guarded by the 7-footer this season. Olynyk's opponents are shooting just 36.6 percent overall, including a mere 39 percent on all 2-point shots (or a ridiculous 8.6 percent below those players' averages).

Of all players with at least 145 plays defended this season, Olynyk ranks ninth out of 167 qualifiers in the NBA while allowing a mere 0.701 points per play, according to Synergy Sports' defensive data.

The former

I think that Kelly has the potential to be a starter, but his style of play and awkwardness means he is subject to poor refereeing decisions at times. I think that this does hurt his confidence a bit and hope that the longer he is in the league the more fairly treated he will get.

The lack of a decent defensive 5 man as a partner (at times) exposes him against big time centres, but that happens to most teams without a Bogut or Duncan.

I would give him another 12-18 months before I discount his starting potential.

Default Kelly with 21 points against the Pelicans

Kelly played 27 minutes, had 21 point, shot 61.5 % and 40% from 3, with 100% FT shooting. He also had 3 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 TO's, 2 blocks, 2 fouls.

It was a fun game to watch.

ZaGranny

Celtics vs. Bulls on ESPN now. Box score. Kelly playing great, with 12 points and 6:18 left in the second quarter.

Kelly looked good. I was watching the game between walking the deck and cooking dinner.

Je played 19 minutes, had 15 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 TO. 1 STL, 1 block, 5 fouls. (I saw 3 of them and they were really iffy) His +/- was + 14.

ZaGranny

Default Warriors 124 Celtics 119

aceltics took the warriors to 2 overtimes.

Kelly had a fantastic game. He played 37 minutes. He had 28 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 3 steals, 1 blk.

ZaGranny