Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 6'5" guard Zach Norvell Commits To Gonzaga

Great balance too. Sure would like to see him in the Blue and White.

Man if we could get him and Kispert our outside shooting would be unreal in 2017. A couple of 6'6" bombers. Would be nice to go along with Melson, Tillie, Collins, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Very exciting to have a 6'5" guard visit GU. I hope he enjoys Spokane and the GU campus and staff.
    I lack the deep basketball knowledge of many of you on this forum, but in my non-expert opinion, if GU would have had a couple 6'6" guards in March and April of this year, we would be raising a NC banner vs. an Elite 8 banner.

Go Bulldogs!
    Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the 6-6 guys can actually play? There just aren't that many 6-6 guys with elite guard skills around, and they generally go to the NBA after a year. Taller is certainly better in basketball, all other things being equal. But they aren't. At the guard position, iq, vision, ball handling/passing ability, shooting ability, quickness,, in no particular order, imo all are more important than height.

The fact that Few and Altman have both targeted Norvell tells me he has most or all of the above, though. As does the fact that he's a lefty who can shoot; could be like the Ohio State kid from last year whose name I'm blanking on at the moment. So great to read that Pargo is recruiting him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I loved this from the SSF piece:
    If 'Family' plays a big role with this kid, as it sure looks like, GU is going to be hard for other schools to beat on recruitment. Pargo was one of my favorite Zags (maybe 'is' is better than 'was' in that sense). Guys like Jeremy do well here and help mold the whole GU BB program into a bit better form - they leave an impression on the program as it also leaves one on them. Same goes for the recruits from outside the USA. Diversity is good for the soul. We're humans first, everything else second. Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    If Norvell commits we may need to start calling 'em the "Zachs" instead of the "Zags".

Badumm ... ching !!!

Edited to add the word "If". Sorry for any confusion ... wasn't my intention.
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-14-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Unintended confusion on earlier attempt at "humor"

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

If I am reading this correctly (and I still have tears in my eyes from the Seahawk's loss a few minutes ago, so my eyes may not be clear) I am so excited about Zach Norville's pledge to GU that I could cry.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

It depends on whether the post above starts with the all important word, "if" or not

We don't have him yet...............quite the team if we do acquire this young fella. Jeremy's giving us quite the boost. Pargo's story is quite an amazing one as to how he arrived here. One of the most "lightning in a bottle" kids" we've had. I still can't believe Pargo's drills. Glad he's staying close to the University.

Norvell has not committed, verbally or otherwise.

He's showing interest in several schools, including numerous unofficial/official visits planned for him.

His recruiting is just taking off -- we showed interest early which bodes well for Zags -- his blue-chip shooting, height for his position, and performance this Summer has really spiked interest in Zach, nationally.

The big boys are coming…Pargo doing his good-will for us tho...

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    If I am reading this correctly (and I still have tears in my eyes from the Seahawk's loss a few minutes ago, so my eyes may not be clear) I am so excited about Zach Norville's pledge to GU that I could cry.
    I edited the post above to alleviate the confusion .... my apologies (and furthermore the "Zags to Zachs" joke wasn't even all that funny to begin with .... thus the Badumm Ching rim shot).

One thing I agree with, though. It WAS a tough "L" for the Hawks. And speaking of which ... Lynch makes the first down on 4th and inches in overtime and I believe the Seahawks win. Note .... Lynch DIDN'T make the first down ... although while typing the above I felt the sentence makes sense although the word "If" alleviates all doubt.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Great balance too. Sure would like to see him in the Blue and White.
    Is that the Gonzaga colors? (tongue-in-cheek alert)

Zach Norvell talks about his visit to Gonzaga, plans trips to Georgetown and Oregon:

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/...s-stretch-run/

Thanks for the link, lee.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Zach Norvell talks about his visit to Gonzaga, plans trips to Georgetown and Oregon:

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/...s-stretch-run/
    Sounds like the visit was a success ....
    While Iowa State and Missouri both came in this past week to check on Norvell in open gyms, right now the three that stand out are Gonzaga, Georgetown and Oregon.

Now Norvell has something to compare other schools and programs to after completing his first official visit. The big, tough, physical guard with a team-first mindset thoroughly enjoyed his trip to Gonzaga, where he characterized the program as “unselfish” and one where he could see himself playing.

“The way they go about things there, how they play, they are all totally unselfish,” says Norvell of the Gonzaga program. “It’s a college town and the fans are crazy there about basketball. There isn’t football, so it’s a basketball school that’s had lot of success and winning. And coach [Mark] Few and the staff are great people.”

He said he wants to make his choice by November. Hopefully Pargo and our early start is enough to seal this.

Joe Henricksen @joehoopsreport
    Bump in road for Zach Norvell as Simeon guard landed on wrist in open gym. Small fracture will keep Norvell out 3-6 weeks.
    5:20 AM - 16 Sep 2015 · Oswego, IL

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/mo...-out-3-6-weeks

Early signing period lasts from Nov 11-18 (56 days away). It will be interesting to see if this alters Norvell's recruitment (probably not much). Gonzaga had the opportunity to have a team workout with him while he was healthy, but Georgetown will not if he still takes an official visit there this weekend, as previously planned.

wonder if that will push back his visits and timeline.

Nah...doesn't mean much . We'll take him with or without a wrist injury. Those go away. The kid is the important part. I wish we'd sign him up.

Iowa State is coming in hot for Norvell and he may take an official visit there this weekend, Oregon may be out, but he did decide to take the official visit to Georgetown.

This claims that it should come down to Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Iowa State, but there has been no reports that our coaches have been to see Norvell (and his coach reports every school visiting). Both Georgetown and Iowa State have been to see him even while he has been recovering from the injury

Joe Henricksen ‏@joehoopsreport 1h1 hour ago
    Simeon's Zach Norvell expected to visit Iowa State this weekend. A Class of 2016 recruiting notebook here ... Zach Norvell, Simeon
    The 6-5 guard is the City/Suburban Hoops Report’s No. 3 ranked prospect and has taken official visits to both Gonzaga and Georgetown. He will visit Iowa State this coming weekend and the decision looks as if it will come down to those three. http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/...ting-notebook/

Robert smith @rsmith2_robert Sept 24
    The schools that came in today to watch the Wolverines workout Wright State Drake Iowa State #Simeonpride

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 21
    Georgetown was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Mac Irvin Fire ‏@TheMacIrvinFire Sep 18
    Zach Norvell (Simeon) will be on an official visit this weekend to #Georgetown. @ZackN_22 is a top 100 player. #BigEast #MacIrvinFire

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 17
    Iowa State was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sep 9
    Iowa State was in today to see 2016 Wing Zach Norvell #Simeonfamily/

A Zags coach flew out to Chicago to see Norvell today... but so did Iowa State:

Robert smith ‏@rsmith2_robert Sept 29
    Gonzaga was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell #Simeonpride

Schools that were in today to see the Wolverines workout today Iowa State,UMKC,Gonzaga and Illinois

Scott Phillips ‏@phillipshoops Sept 29
    Gonzaga and Iowa State were in to see Simeon 2016 guard Zach Norvell today, per Rob Smith.

Iowa State was in today to see 2016 wing Zach Norvell#Simeonpride

Good to see we are getting out there. What a pipeline that would be if we could establish a consistent presence in Chi town. Norvell is going to be a really solid player, and man, a class with him and Collins would be incredible!

a class with him and Collins would be incredible!
    Don't forget Tillie whom was recently named in an ESPN article as one of the top college recruits out of Europe with "huge upside".

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Don't forget Tillie whom was recently named in an ESPN article as one of the top college recruits out of Europe with "huge upside".
    Indeed! Class is coming together nicely. I'm intrigued to see if Tillie will be a factor right away or take time to adjust. Either way, seems like a real nice pick up. Just really think Norvell would round this out into an incredible class.