Thread: Wiltjer on Canada's Try Out Roster for PanAms

Default Wiltjer on Canada's Try Out Roster for PanAms

http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...-national-team

Other bigs are Bhullar, Bennett, Nicholson, Ashaolu and Ejim.

As hybrid forwards, Doornekamp and Scrubb may also be in competition with Wiltjer for a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-art...-national-team

Other bigs are Bhullar, Bennett, Nicholson, Ashaolu and Ejim.

As hybrid forwards, Doornekamp and Scrubb may also be in competition with Wiltjer for a spot.
    Maybe Bennett will make THIS team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Must be a lot colder down there, Jazz!

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Maybe KW's teammate Dustin can put in a good word with the coach, Dustin's dad.
    Interesting story line with PanAm games is that Coach Few will be going up against Coach Triano. Some good lighthearted trash talking fodder for next season there, if Coach Few is one to enjoy some innocent trash talk.... and if Dustin is a walk-on gutsy enough to talk trash with his coach!!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I think Wiltjer makes this team based on his offensive versatility alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bennett is/was the worst #1 overall pick in history of NBA draft, imho.

Wasn't overly impressed with him in HS, college, and esp not for my T-Wolves. He's aloof, average bball IQ, plays slow, never in shape, etc.

Sure, he improved somewhat from his days as a Cav, yet he's barely worthy as an NBA back-up, let alone the 1st overall pick.

Hell, he's a poor man's Sam Dower if you ask me -- only difference Bennett was gifted with a stronger(NBA) body and maybe a better vert. Otherwise, identical style, touch, and in-and-out mindset on the court.

You're all burying the lede ... the roster has Wiltjer listed as ... a SMALL FORWARD!

Agree, KW will make this squad...they have to cut from 16 to 12 players by 18 July...that's cutting 25%...

I think it will be much harder to make the final Coaching Staff Roster then the player roster. They have listed 13 coaches and most teams "dress" about five...that is cutting 62% of the coaching staff.

I would like my chances much better as a player than as a coach...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    They have listed 13 coaches and most teams "dress" about five...that is cutting 62% of the coaching staff.

What. On. Earth. do they do with all those coaches? Nearly one per player? Let's forget for a moment that anything over 4 and one is getting to where organizing strategy is harder than not, but just from a cost perspective alone. None of these countries, even the U.S., has an "unlimited" budget. It just makes no...

Does anyone know?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    What. On. Earth. do they do with all those coaches? Nearly one per player? Let's forget for a moment that anything over 4 and one is getting to where organizing strategy is harder than not, but just from a cost perspective alone. None of these countries, even the U.S., has an "unlimited" budget. It just makes no...

Does anyone know?
    If you look at the list, they only have 4 coaches, 1 head coach, 3 assistants. The rest on the list are therapist, managers, nutritionist, strength and conditioning and so on. They would not obviously have 13 basketball coaches. They just list them all as Coaching Team and Staff.

I am very happy to see Kyle on the tryout roster. With no Brady Heslip, Kyle will easily be the best shooter available. And as being listed as a small forward, it would seem that they plan to take advantage of his 3pt ability.

Disagree..two words: Kwame Brown. At least Bennett still has time to improve at his age and he does have talent!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Wasn't overly impressed with him in HS, college, and esp not for my T-Wolves. He's aloof, average bball IQ, plays slow, never in shape, etc.

Sure, he improved somewhat from his days as a Cav, yet he's barely worthy as an NBA back-up, let alone the 1st overall pick.

Hell, he's a poor man's Sam Dower if you ask me -- only difference Bennett was gifted with a stronger(NBA) body and maybe a better vert. Otherwise, identical style, touch, and in-and-out mindset on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    If you look at the list, they only have 4 coaches, 1 head coach, 3 assistants. The rest on the list are therapist, managers, nutritionist, strength and conditioning and so on. They would not obviously have 13 basketball coaches. They just list them all as Coaching Team and Staff.
    Thanks.

I did not see the list, just heard about "making the coaching cut."

That does make total sense and the number sounds exactly right.

Thank you again, enjoy the weekend.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Disagree..two words: Kwame Brown. At least Bennett still has time to improve at his age and he does have talent!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Interesting story line with PanAm games is that Coach Few will be going up against Coach Triano. Some good lighthearted trash talking fodder for next season there, if Coach Few is one to enjoy some innocent trash talk.... and if Dustin is a walk-on gutsy enough to talk trash with his coach!!!
    Kyle Wiltjer and Jay Triano are far from being strangers. Kyle's father Greg was a teammate of Jay Triano on numerous editions of the Canadian national team in the 1980s. It's worth mentioning that Jay Triano and Greg Wiltjer both live in Portland, also.

I remember seeing Jay Triano playing for Simon Fraser against our Zags in what was then call Kennedy Pavilion. Very solid player at the time but who would have guessed that Jay and the Zags paths would have crossed so many time since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Way, way too early to make a comment like that. Yes, he should not have been selected first overall, but there is still plenty of time and talent there for Bennett to at least carve out a solid role on an NBA team. Wait another two years before calling him a bust.

Try to watch him in the PanAms with Wiltjer, I expect a good showing from both of them there. With really no traditional 5s on the roster except Sim Bhullar (good thing the PanAms are meaningless), I expect Bennett and Andrew Nicholson and Wiltjer to get the main front court minutes.

I have no idea who they will defend, but expect some high scoring games!

More interesting will be the FIBA America's team. I don't expect Wiltjer to be on this team, but KO is a sure thing and I am warming up to the thought of Pangos on that team. With Tyler Ennis out recovering from surgery, Pangos could be the 2nd to 5th on the depth chart for Canadian PGs.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Whoah! I had no idea that Dustin's dad was the Canadian head coach (or even involved in basketball at all)!!

I'm sure that was mentioned previously at some point -- the Dustin & Jay Triano connection -- but somehow missed it until now. That's an awesome tidbit to throw around. Certainly can't hurt with Canadian recruiting either...