Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JaQuori McLaughlin - 2016 6'3" combo guard - Peninsula HS (WA)

Default JaQuori McLaughlin - 2016 6'3" combo guard - Peninsula HS (WA)

Gonzaga is back in his top 5. Was just told that he is a high priority recruit for Gonzaga now

He decommit from UDub last month

We talked about him in this thread. He's a top 100 level talent

Jon Manley ‏@gateway_jon
    Per @PeninsulaHoops coach Jake Jackson, JaQuori McLaughlin ('16) down to five: Washington, Wisconsin, Arizona, Stanford and Gonzaga.
    12:35 PM - 29 Jun 2015

Jon Manley ‏@gateway_jon
    McLaughlin will take visits -- patient approach. Decision not likely to come soon. Maybe before the start of basketball season.
    12:39 PM - 29 Jun 2015

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Gonzaga is back in his top 5. Was just told that he is a high priority recruit for Gonzaga now

He decommit from UDub last month

Jon Manley ‏@gateway_jon
    Per @PeninsulaHoops coach Jake Jackson, JaQuori McLaughlin ('16) down to five: Washington, Wisconsin, Arizona, Stanford and Gonzaga.
    12:35 PM - 29 Jun 2015

Jon Manley ‏@gateway_jon
    McLaughlin will take visits -- patient approach. Decision not likely to come soon. Maybe before the start of basketball season.
    12:39 PM - 29 Jun 2015

Were you told why the change in priority?

Go ZAGS!

I'm guessing Wisky's out with Bo's announcement today. Would be a great addition no doubt...
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I'm guessing Wisky's out with Bo's announcement today. Would be a great addition no doubt...
    Perhaps...

With his de-commit from the Dub, the list could be seen as down to three.

Still, it's like there's something going on we haven't been told yet. Why would there be nearly 4500 visitors on the site at 3:00 am? (see other thread)

At first I thought the visitors might be here because of the thread on Bo, but that thread wasn't started until 10:00.

Of course, I am a product of the 70's, and see conspiracy everywhere....

Wait, Mussini....that's the blitz at 5:00 to 6:00 AM East coast....

Sorry, these are not the droids you're looking for....

Go ZAGS!

As I mentioned before, JaQuori is now a high priority for Gonzaga.

He wants to take official visits to Gonzaga & Arizona + those are the 2 schools recruiting him the hardest

Eric Bossi mentioned on twitter that he'd rank JaQuori the #2 PG on the west coast in 2016 (behind Lonzo Ball)

https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/conte...2001&PT=4&PR=2

Since opening things back up, a small group of very good programs have been making a push.

"I've heard the most from Gonzaga and Arizona," said McLaughlin. "Wisconsin is talking to me a lot and I've heard from Stanford and Washington."

The only non West Coast program on McLaughlin's list, Wisconsin is a school that he has come to appreciate. However, the Badgers pick to replace Bo Ryan will be pretty important in his recruitment.

"I've watched them a lot," McLaughlin said. "I thought that they were a much slower team but they actually play with some speed.

"Assistant coach Greg Gard, if he's the coach there I'm still interested in them."

So far, McLaughlin says that he'll definitely take official visits to Arizona and Gonzaga and that Wisconsin would get added to that list if Gard is named as Ryan's replacement. He doesn't have a timeline to make his decision.

"I want to take as long as possible and make the right decision," McLaughlin said. "I could go into the spring right now, I can't really tell."

- See more at: https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/conte....AChSLJvD.dpuf

Great to hear what JaQuori feels about Gonzaga & the possibility of going Perkins, NWG, & Melson:

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    Peninsula guard JaQuori McLaughlin, on what he likes best about the five schools considered favorites to land him:

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin on potentially playing w/ Perkins, Melson, NWG at GU: "That would be really fun. ... We'd all be interchangeable."

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin said a school being close to home isn't a huge factor. "It's cool but it won't really give a school an edge."

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin says a decision not likely to come for quite a while, maybe in April. "I just want to be patient."

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin on new offers from Utah and Cal: "I'm definitely interested in those schools." Hasn't set up visits yet.

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin will visit Arizona in August. Still hasn't visited Wisconsin or Stanford.

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin on Wisconsin: "If they hire Greg Gard, I'd still be comfortable going there. He's recruited me the most."

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin said the coaching change at Wisconsin won't deter him from considering playing there if they hire longtime assistant Greg Gard.

Hope that Gonzaga offers JaQuori soon and he sets up a date for his official visit. He'll be visiting Arizona next month & that's where his high school coach went to college. GU watched JaQuori face off against Cal Supreme & Jonah Mathews last night

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    McLaughlin said Arizona, Gonzaga and Wisconsin have been recruiting him the hardest.

Jon Manley @gateway_jon
    Asked JaQuori McLaughlin why he doesn't dunk more w/ 39" vert: "My teammates say I'm hiding my bounce so I might bring it out more."

Matt Moreno @MattGOAZCATS
    JaQuori McLaughlin told me he will visit Arizona in August. The 4-star guard likes a lot about the ‘Cats right now

Matt Moreno @MattGOAZCATS
    Checking out 2016 four-star guard JaQuori McLaughlin now here in Anaheim

Another PG???

I'm all for bringing in the best. And, I'm sure the coaches have some sort of plan for what they want. But, it's well over my ability to understand.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Meh, combo guard. Bell was "point guard" in high school. All it means is guards and wings who wont turn it over and can actually look to pass once in a while.

More on JaQuori. He's not afraid to play behind Nigel & learn from him for a year

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...e27530863.html

While McLaughlin has previously been committed to Oregon State and Washington, two schools in the Pacific Northwest, he said staying close to home isn’t a huge factor in his decision.

“It’s cool but it won’t really give a school an edge,” McLaughlin said. “I just want the best fit for me that would help me succeed the most, help me become a good player and a good person off the court.”

If McLaughlin lands in Spokane, he’d join a talented Gonzaga backcourt with Josh Perkins, Silas Melson and University of Washington transfer Nigel Williams-Goss, who will be eligible in the 2016-17 season, which would be McLaughlin’s freshman season.

“That would be really fun,” McLaughlin said. “They play three guards at a time up there a lot; we’d all be interchangeable. Nigel would be running the show. That’d be fun to learn from him my first year and be able to take over after that.”

McLaughlin has visited Washington and Gonzaga previously, but has yet to visit Arizona, Wisconsin and Stanford. He’ll likely take several visits in August and September. McLaughlin had committed to Washington before his junior season at Peninsula began. This time around, he said he doesn’t feel the need to necessarily commit to a school before the season starts.

“I think I’m going to be patient and maybe wait till April,” he said. “I just want to be patient. If something feels right, then maybe I will, but I just want to be patient.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy

Williams Goss might be a big factor in this. He was ALL Pac 12 and led UW in scoring. If I was this kid, Id be a bit awed with an opportunity to play with or in back of oss. WHo knows, maybe Goss can shed some light on why he chose us.
    It's just a thought.....But we do have lots of budding talent out front.
    I think he'd fit in very well. Not sure if he might have that bias against E Wa but he'd do well with us. I beleive that.
    AZ's a big draw and they've picked it up quite a bit in the past few years. I do think we'll know more when we face em this year. A win might go far. Stanford's a good place but when it comes to bball...we're on the rise again. Not too soon either.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Meh, combo guard. Bell was "point guard" in high school. All it means is guards and wings who wont turn it over and can actually look to pass once in a while.
    Nothing like bell at all, JaQuori has been raised to be a point guard who will look to make the right play for his team above his personal stats which dings him on the aau circuit where coaches want to see ball dominate scoring point guards like Payton pritchard. Last week at the under armour all American camp in Charlotte his performance against some of he top players in he nation had Eric bossi of rivals proclaim him he top point guard on the west coast not named Alonzo ball.

I'm biased because my kids are in the same school district. But I've coached his younger brother and gotten to know his Dad a bit. I also know what his classmates and fellow basketball teammates have to say about him.

This is a player we want. I promise you.

More on JaQuori & his willingness to learn from Nigel Williams-Goss in his freshman year. He still says that he'll definitely take an official visits to Gonzaga & Arizona. Tommy Lloyd watched him at the Double Pump Best of Summer Tournament in Anaheim this week. PGU has a new update on him. As with prior reports, JaQuori wants to play point guard in college: http://pointguardu.com/forum/showthr...724#post664724

Here's a video of JaQuori from this week: https://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recru...ughlin-1135522

JaQuori's stock is continuing to climb. Rivals said that JaQuori won the matchup over 2017 5-star consensus top 15 PG Jalek Felton at the Under Armour All-America Camp. (Jalek played alongside Zach Collins for Team USA's 3x3 squad): https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....sp?CID=1783028

From Scouts' Josh Gershon: http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...ori-mclaughlin

Playing at Gig Harbor (Wash.) Peninsula while off the shoe company AAU circuit with Team ACCESS, JaQuori McLaughlin definitely hasn’t received the same amount of views as many prospects ranked in Scout’s Top 100.

But over the first two weeks of the July Evaluation Period, McLaughlin has lived up to his stock heading into the summer.

While Scout has McLaughlin currently slotted at shooting guard, he’s become much more of a point guard over the last year and will be positioned as such the next time we update rankings.

McLaughlin’s size at 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds to go along with his ability to pass and shoot has helped make him a highly coveted recruit on the west.

The two most recent offers for McLaughlin are California and Utah.

“I’m really interested in those two schools and looking forward to building a relationship with their coaching staffs,” McLaughlin said.
    “I know that Cal has a good class coming in in 2015 and that their coaching staff is hungry to win. I’ve watched Utah a lot and know that they’ve got a great environment. They’ve got guys coming in who are solid.”

The rising senior listed Arizona, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Washington and Stanford as the other schools he’s hearing from the most, with two of those programs set to receive official visits.

“I’m going to take visits to Arizona and Gonzaga,” McLaughlin said. “Arizona gets a lot of guys to the league. I love the players they have and they’re already in the tournament.

“Gonzaga is always in the tournament, they develop their players once they get there and it’s close to home. I could come in and learn from Nigel Williams-Goss as a freshman and play after that.”

With more schools getting added to McLaughlin’s recruitment, the former Washington and Oregon State decommit says he’s as open as he’s ever been.

“It’s more open now,” he said. “I’m going to be patient, take all my visits and make sure I make the right decision. I’ll make a decision whenever it feels right.”

I thought he dropped der Zags.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    I thought he dropped der Zags.
    Maybe you are thinking Payton Pritchard?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Maybe you are thinking Payton Pritchard?
    Oh yeah.

Carry on.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

We'll have to see how the JaQuori situation develops over the next couple months. I don't think GU is looking as good compared to the week prior.

With Mark Few in Toronto for the Pan Am Games during every evaluation period in July and Tommy Lloyd in Greece for the U18 Euro Championships this week, Gonzaga didn't have much presence in Vegas and no one reported Gonzaga watching JaQuori this week but they did say that Wisconsin, Arizona, Washington, Oregon State, Cal, Utah, Oregon, Washington State, Stanford, & Seattle U were among the teams watching him. 247Sports lists that GU had offered, but no one else who has written about him lately has said the same, including Evan Flood, who writes for 247Sports, as well as NY2LA.

Wisconsin has made strong strides in JaQuori's recruitment, despite Bo Ryan's retirement after the 2015-16 season. JaQuori reportedly wants to take an official visit to Wisconsin in September.

These 2 articles mention that JaQuori had been considering and recruited hard by Gonzaga, but...

From Evan Flood on NY2LA (notice that Gonzaga wasn't mentioned among those recruiting JaQuori the hardest):

2015 LAS VEGAS TOURNAMENTS DAY 1 RECAP - PART 1

July 23, 2015

TOP PERFORMERS
    JaQuori McLaughlin – 2016 – PG – Team Access
    The type of point guard that will lull you to sleep and strike when you’ve let your guard down, McLaughlin scored most of his 13 points in a flurry to put the game away in the second half for Team Access. A pass-first point guard, McLaughlin does a good job of facilitating to his athletic wings. Offensively, he makes the game look effortless, with a sweet stroke from beyond the arc and the ability to hang and finish at the rim.

JaQuori McLaughlin has offers from Arizona, Stanford, Washington, Wisconsin, California, Utah, and Oregon State. He said Wisconsin, Utah, and California were recruiting him hardest.

2015 LAS VEGAS TOURNAMENTS DAY 3 RECAP - PART 1

July 25, 2015

TOP PERFORMERS
    JaQuori McLaughlin – 2016 – PG – Team Access
    For the majority of his games, McLaughlin is content with simply dictating the pace and playing good defense. But when it’s time to be clutch, he’s always there. Leading Team Access to a come from behind win, McLaughlin scored seven points, dished out two assists, and blocked two shots in the final few minutes to steal a victory. McLaughlin is a deceptively quick and athletic point guard, who hangs and finishes well against contact. Also a knock down shooter from beyond the arc, McLaughlin has a short, smooth stroke that’s difficult to contest.

Gonzaga may be 1 of JaQuori's top 5 but I don't like that he's using 3 official visits first and then "most likely visit" GU later. Talks about Mark Few and BMike a little. And Scout now lists an offer from GU. His recruitment shifted quickly huh? Cal and Arizona not listed anymore all of a sudden after recruiting him so hard and watching a lot of his games this week.

McLaughlin down to five, set three visits

July 31, 2015

The 6-foot-3, 170-pound 2016 point guard from Gig Harbor (Wash.) Peninsula is down to Oregon State, Utah, Wisconsin, Gonzaga and Washington, with three of those schools set up for official visits.

McLaughlin's visit to Oregon State will be on Sept. 4.

"Coach (Wayne) Tinkle has a Top 10 class coming in 2015 and sees JaQuori as the missing piece that will be able to be a leader on the floor from the point guard spot," said JaQuori's father, Jason McLaughlin.

The next trip will be to Utah, which will fall on Sept. 11.

"Coach K (Larry Krystkowiak) at Utah has amazing experience as both a player and a coach in the NBA and knows what it takes to prepare kids for the next level," said Jason.

"He compared JaQuori to Delon Wright because of his versatility, unselfishness and commitment as a leader to make his teammates better."

Scout's 46th ranked prospect in 2016 will trip again the following weekend, this time seeing Wisconsin on Sept. 19.

"It's a first class program in Wisconsin that does things the right way with 14 straight NCAA tourneys and back to back Final Fours," said the elder McLaughlin.

Gonzaga and Washington are still being considered for visits, according to Jason McLaughlin.

"Mark Few called and we will most likely visit them also but JaQuori doesn't want to use his visits early," Jason said. "He's still considering Washington depending on how the recruitment with (Markelle) Fultz recruitment shakes out.

"Coach (Lorenzo) Romar has been great. He continues to keep up with JaQuori and our family but is very patient and understanding or the process JaQuori feels he needs to work through.

"Coach (Brian) Michaelson and coach Few of Gonzaga have kept good communication with JaQuori in regards to their interest in him as well."

Jason is pleased with the summer his son had and the opportunities in front of him.

"His summer has worked out exactly the way I hoped it would," he said. "He's (hearing from) programs that fit his personality perfectly that will allow for his development to reach its fullest potential and appreciate him for who he is."

Kyle Goon @KyleGoon
    Top 100 guard JaQuori McLaughlin has Runnin' Utes in his top 3 with Oregon State and Wisconsin. How his visit went: http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...ori-mclaughlin
    5:42pm - 17 Sep 15

Oh well

Not a big surprise here.

always a bit disappointed when a top 100 recruit who has shown some interest in Gonzaga, passes on us and goes elsewhere.
    but in this case we have a seattle area kid who also just took a pass on Washington, well that makes me smile and practically erases any disappointment I had.

No offense but we are absolutel loaded out front. I suppose theres always room for another but this kid, with all his talents, might be disappoited here. Never like to an unhappy kid. And let's face it, ROmar and the Seattle bball scen says all kids of of untoward things about GU and Spokane. Best thing always happen.

Must be very high character, academic and talented. The list of coaches recruiting him were/are some I respect the most, Dawkins at Stanford, Coach K at Utah, Tinkle at OSU, Bo at Wisconsin, Few - - these are coaches that know exactly what a high character, high talent kid looks like.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Must be very high character, academic and talented. The list of coaches recruiting him were/are some I respect the most, Dawkins at Stanford, Coach K at Utah, Tinkle at OSU, Bo at Wisconsin, Few - - these are coaches that know exactly what a high character, high talent kid looks like.
    Bingo