Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer scrimmages

Default Summer scrimmages

Just got back, the following were there Mcclellan, Perkins, Schem, Edwards, Wiljer, Draganeous, Alberts, Barham, steven Gray, Robert Sacre, J. Williams I believe, Two high school players, and Melson. Maybe more will come to mind. My thoughts, Schem has gone to the next level. He has a very consistent mid range game now. Edwards played for the full 80 minutes and did not run out of gas. I believe his strenth this year will be his defense. He wants to be an offensive guy but is not quite there yet. His defense of both Sacre and Schem was solid. Alberts is a pure shooter no doubt about it. McClellan is super fast and skilled. It will be extremely hard for Josh Perkins to start ahead of him. Perkins played one forth of the time and then did not play. Melson sat and did not play at all. I saw no injuries. Draganus has advanced as he has the last two years, a total team first player. Wiljer was in good shape and was not bashful about shooting a lot. Both
    schem and edwards are in better shape than I have seen them. Edwards guarding Sacre was fun to watch. The bumps they gave each other would have knock me into the 3 row of seats. Also Gray and Draino was fun. Steven averaged about 20+ this year and Draino held him down very well. I would say it was a toss up between them. Draino has definitely bought into the idea of passing up a shot to get a better shot. I would like to see him shoot more. We will see Edwards best play his last two years. He and Draino are the same type development player-continuous growth every year. Edwards may finally peak out when he is a pro. Mark Few and co. were there.
    first camp started today thru the 26, then the 28-1st then july 16-19 and july 27-29
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-25-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Default Silly Rabbit (Trix Are For Kids)

Quote Originally Posted by [QUOTE
    zag buddy;Just got back, the following were there Mcclellan, Perkins, Schem, Edwards, Wiljer, Draganeous, Alberts, Barham, steven Gray, Robert Sacre, J. Williams I believe, Two high school players, and Melson. McClellan is super fast and it will be extremely hard for Josh Perkins to start ahead of him. Perkins played one forth of the time and then did not play.
    Josh Perkins will be the starting point guard for GU. Josh is the next Jedi for GU.

Actually Zaga Josh looked a little thin to me. I would guess he is still recovering from his down time.

Default We can agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Actually Zaga Josh looked a little thin to me. I would guess he is still recovering from his down time.
    JMO, Josh will be the starting PG for GU next season.

Be ready for some magic.

ZB, thanks for the up close and personal.....good to hear.........we need more "eyes on," maybe from the Dockster.

No reason Perkins and McLellan can't start together.

Glad to hear Edwards is stepping it up in scrimmages. Last summer he was getting worked by Sacre. Seems that he is determined to dish it out a little better this summer. Good for him.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I can also see Perkins and McClellan both starting. Great ball handlers, quick, solid defense, and both can drive and pass. Then you have the super sixth man Dranginis (or he is the third starter) who is also a solid defender and makes things happen. Lastly you have Melson who may start and Alberts who will both be able to shoot threes and be solid performers. I hope the players will be making it very hard for the coaches to decide who gets the minutes.

I think that hearing about Edwards will really make our front line the best in the nation. Two legitimate 7 foot centers as well as two power forwards with different pluses. I was happy to hear about Shem looking better.

Thanks for the updates.

JP, McC, and Draino as our starters would lack a true 3 pt threat and the D would sag down on the bigs. Could also see a triangle 2 played on KW with this lineup. I think that Alberts will see major minutes this year to keep the D honest. We all know that Melson isn't afraid to shoot it either.

Eric McClellan was the leading scorer during his tour with AIA in Poland.

He played with solid players from all across D1.

Didn't face the best competition, yet in one game, EM's stat line was:

35 pts, 82% FG, 2/3 from 3pt.

https://twitter.com/aia_basketball/s...40051484962816

Eric showed he can drive the ball vs ANYONE when we played Duke. He scorched Winslow and Cook in the 1st half, yet logged only 1 min in the 2nd half. While he missed an attempt, he also made one. Somewhat "out of control", yet he was the ONLY player who put pressure on Duke's defense on the perimeter. They seemed to respect him more, yet he was pulled and sat the rest of the game.

As mentioned in March, I believe the starting lineup to be:

Perks
    McClellan
    Dranginis
    Wiltjer
    Shem

Also, speaking of Eric, he was interviewed recently and stated of his 3 teams he's played with in College (Tulsa, Vandy, GU), that Karnowski has the most impressive/best basketball IQ he's ever seen. Pangos was mentioned as the most consistent, level-headed leader, yet in his opinion, Shem has the best pure court sense of any player he's played with (including Pangos).

Zag Buddy, Fun, fun stuff to read! Thanks for going and for posting your observations!

Kudos, Zag Buddy -- I've been waiting for months for this thread, and you kicked it off with a bang! Many thanks also to the other contributors, including Raise the Flag, who added new (to me, at least) info regarding our guys! For those who can attend these scrimmages, PLEASE DO SO and then share your thoughts here. It's all good!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I would like to give some kudos to all the old zags that come and play in the summer. They are great mentors and show the younger players the aggressiveness and conditioning it takes to play at the next level. When Josh Heyfelt or Robert Sacre go to dunk you best get out of the way if they have a few steps to run. It is unfettered aggression. They don't do it very often but when they do you can see it coming. It seems to me that all of them use the time for conditioning. I have never seen anyone of them try to dominate a game. Just the opposite. They shoot less and run more. How fortunate the players are to have these excellent mentors to help them with their game.

While it's great to read these reports and fun to speculate, these scrimmages need to be taken with a grain of salt. It's not exactly organized hoops being played.

As mentioned in March, I believe the starting lineup to be:

Perks
    McClellan
    Dranginis
    Wiltjer
    Shem
    I'll stick with Melson as the starting 2 and McClellan as our super sub in the backcourt and Sabonis our super sub in the frontcourt. Just like McClellan being able to play all 3 positions. There will be times our backups will be better than our starters.

My starting 5 would be:

Perks
    McClellan
    Dranginis
    Wiltjer
    Shem

Bench: Sabonis, Melson, Alberts, and Edwards. Sure seems like we need another guard in the rotation...thinking Griffin would have seem much more PT this upcoming season. #trendingup #gozags
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    No reason Perkins and McLellan can't start together.
    This.

Perkins will be the PG.

It might be true that Mac, with his experience, could be a better player, I sure see what he brings, but there is absolutely no way that Perkins will not start at PG this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default An observation about summer athletes

Many coaches have observed that not that long ago, college athletes would go home, get a job bucking bales, mowing lawns, etc. In other words, learn what real life is all about. Interact with their families, friends, etc. Now, football and college athletes are "encouraged" to stay on campus for the summer, not work a job, but instead engage in "voluntary" activities related to their sport. They interact with mostly just their team mates and don't learn much about their world outside their sport.

I admire the fact that Steven Gray bucked the system several summers ago to go to Gonzaga in Zambia.

OK, we all care about having a winning team, but does this system (not just at GU) encourage kids to become better, more well-rounded citizens?

And how about the need for bodies to have some down time?

And yes, I know that GU athletes are perfect human beings who never get in trouble and are models of selflessness, but you know what I mean.

My starters for now would be:
    Perkins
    McClellan
    Melson
    Wiltjer
    PK

Like last year Sabonis in quickly or after the first foul to the bigs
    Dranginis in for defense and ball movement if we become static

Then Edwards and Alberts in getting their feet wet while the game is still in doubt

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Zag Buddy, Fun, fun stuff to read! Thanks for going and for posting your observations!
    +1.

I'm curious about "...two high school players" mentioned in the op.

Go ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    My starters for now would be:
    Perkins
    McClellan
    Melson
    Wiltjer
    PK

Like last year Sabonis in quickly or after the first foul to the bigs
    Dranginis in for defense and ball movement if we become static

Then Edwards and Alberts in getting their feet wet while the game is still in doubt
    if ever there was a zag who has deserved his chance to start, it's Dranginis. His leadership and experience will be more needed than Melson's upside.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This.

Perkins will be the PG.

It might be true that Mac, with his experience, could be a better player, I sure see what he brings, but there is absolutely no way that Perkins will not start at PG this year.
    Perkins is the future, no doubt. But from what I saw last year, Mac was more impressive (especially defensively) in his limited minutes than Perkins was in his limited minutes. Both of them seemed ahead of Melson.

Buddy, can you go over the process for getting in to the scrimmages? Time? Entrance? Can a schlub like me break in as well?

Zag 77 --when you were in college --how many Camp Goodtimes, Coaches vs Cancer events, Childrens Cancer Hospitals, volunteering for kids basketball camps, Hoopfest autograph sessions for fans etc did you visit/attend in your time off? When I was in college I did not spend my off time doing any of that -- but our Zag players do. I think they are getting the correct mentoring about what it means to give back to the community (the community involvement has been mentioned previously as positive for past players).

Then they get to spend some time with relatives and friends for a bit also.

+1

He will be the starting SF this season...he deserves the shot...

Bulldog I agree, but he is a great sixth man and I believe even if he is then he will still get major minutes and I believe you would see him at. chrunch time. He will do great no matter which role he plays. Also I think he will be a leader. If he does play sixth man it will be partly his decision