Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cunliffe to transfer

Default Cunliffe to transfer

The Twittersphere is reporting Sam Cunliffe to ASU.
    Last edited by CDC84; 12-21-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    The Twittersphere is reporting Sam Cunliffe to ASU.
    ProjectMKUltra5 beat you to it, 8 hours ago. Pac-12 teams are looking better and better.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...-Oct-14/page41

Hope he's happy there. I always thought we might grab him.seems like a good player and kid with some upside. There's always others. We have another E 8 showing, I'm thinking we'll have kids lining up. For now though, we'll be fine with Goss, Williams, and our 3 . Alberts, Josh and Silas.
    Soon, we'll be needing some 4's and 5's. 3 is key though. Sam would have fit here nicely.

Can't blame him. As far as college atmosphere goes, ASU is hard to top. Good luck to Sam. I believe Hurley will have that program fighting for a top spot in the PAC-12 every year moving forward.

Tough to turn down a legendary name, one of college bb's all time point guards and now one of its fastest rising coaching stars. Hurls' has nationwide tentacles with his pro, college and family connections and will be another formidable West Coast recruiting challenger to the Zags on a level with Zona and San Diego State.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Tough to turn down a legendary name, one of college bb's all time point guards and now one of its fastest rising coaching stars. Hurls' has nationwide tentacles with his pro, college and family connections and will be another formidable West Coast recruiting challenger to the Zags on a level with Zona and San Diego State.
    ASU should enjoy him while they have him. If coach K decides he's had enough national championships, and he's older than he looks, many people think that Hurley is already the heir apparent.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

From TSSF:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015...-the-nba-draft

In the 2016 class, Sam Cunliffe made the decision to commit to Arizona St. For a variety of reasons, Gonzaga really backed off of the Rainier Beach guard coming out of the April evaluation period. The Zags were still evaluating Cunliffe on the AAU trail, but after a full court press from Bob Hurley and the ASU staff, the Washington native made his college decision.

Sam was looking for a point guard position where he could play immediately -- probably why the Zags backed off him (with the recent NWG commitment)-- we are set at point guard for a while.

"I've been playing point guard most of my life," the 2016 star said. "I want to go play in the NBA, but I also want to be able to fall back on a good education if that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I think a lot of people are going to read that as "we were intimidated" and didnt think we could recruit with the big schools. The only reason we would back off is that the coaches saw either something they didnt like/wasnt on par, or was exactly what we already have.

I think a lot of people are going to read that as "we were intimidated" and didnt think we could recruit with the big schools. The only reason we would back off is that the coaches saw either something they didnt like/wasnt on par, or was exactly what we already have.
    Or they just wanted to spend more time scouting him.

If the Zags were afraid of competing against schools like ASU for players, they wouldn't have almost every guy on their current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it was Cunliffe being dead set on playing the point. In which case, the pass was very much justified.

See ya
    Go Zags!!!

I have been following this topic for quite a while and know a lot of people connected to Sam, although I do not know him personally. The recruitment of this kid has been perplexing. He is super talented and a high level athlete. However, there are soooo many red flags around this kid that it seems to me the staff cooled on his recruitment because of them.

The main issue is his and his families seeming attitude of always searching for an upgrade for themselves. It always seems to BE about the Cunliffe's and what have you done for me lately. He's wore out his welcome with O'Dea, then Blanchet and is now apparently going to Rainier Beach.....and oh btw, that seems to not be coming up roses as there are several reports he doesn't like it there and wants to go the Finley Prep. This is going to be a continual story for this kid. I wouldn't hold my breath on him remaining at ASU very long. A missed NCAA tourney or starting role could spell doom for his tenure there. Add to all this the fact that he's had a tough time finding an AAU team to land on with several of the area teams simply just passing when approached by the family.

He's a bridge burner who wants the ball and all the shots and the guy leading the charge is Jeff Harris, his hoop trainer. They don't go anywhere without each other. If you ask me, I'm glad we walked and I can't wait to see how the whole thing unfolds with ASU and him in the Pac 12.

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    I have been following this topic for quite a while and know a lot of people connected to Sam, although I do not know him personally. The recruitment of this kid has been perplexing. He is super talented and a high level athlete. However, there are soooo many red flags around this kid that it seems to me the staff cooled on his recruitment because of them.

The main issue is his and his families seeming attitude of always searching for an upgrade for themselves. It always seems to BE about the Cunliffe's and what have you done for me lately. He's wore out his welcome with O'Dea, then Blanchet and is now apparently going to Rainier Beach.....and oh btw, that seems to not be coming up roses as there are several reports he doesn't like it there and wants to go the Finley Prep. This is going to be a continual story for this kid. I wouldn't hold my breath on him remaining at ASU very long. A missed NCAA tourney or starting role could spell doom for his tenure there. Add to all this the fact that he's had a tough time finding an AAU team to land on with several of the area teams simply just passing when approached by the family.

He's a bridge burner who wants the ball and all the shots and the guy leading the charge is Jeff Harris, his hoop trainer. They don't go anywhere without each other. If you ask me, I'm glad we walked and I can't wait to see how the whole thing unfolds with ASU and him in the Pac 12.
    Not that the staff checks with me BUT felt from all I have read about this young man that he had too much "baggage" for GU to have to overlook...imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Not that the staff checks with me BUT felt from all I have read about this young man that he had too much "baggage" for GU to have to overlook...imo
    I kept my mouth shut during the process, but a contact over at Blanchette gave me some info that, let's just say, I'm glad we've passed.
    Go Zags!!!

Per Jeff Goodman, Cunliffe to transfer according to sources...
    Welcome to Zagdom

I'd take him

Will be interesting to see where he lands. Done after 10 games at ASU. He would be eligible at the start of the 2nd semester next season.
    Micah Downs came here after playing 13 games at Kansas and that worked out pretty well!

No schollies available, though

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post
    Per Jeff Goodman, Cunliffe to transfer according to sources...
    Wow! Looks like 23zagmd was spot on. Not remotely interested.

Def interested if schollies open
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Got plenty of p.t. And averaged 10 and 5. Weird. Said he was missing home. Maybe a Spangler case.

Twitter gossip: Per a program source, Cunliffe’s transfer is due at least in part to unspecified family issues. Was averaging 9.5 points in 25.4 minutes.

News article:

Arizona State Sun Devils’ freshman guard Sam Cunliffe has announced that he will be transferring from the school. Through the team’s first 10 games, Cunliffe is averaging 9.5 points and 4.8 rebounds per contest.

The highest-ranked recruit thus far into the Bobby Hurley era at Arizona State lasted all of 10 games before wanting out. Rated as the top player coming out of the state of Washington this past season, the four-star recruit comes from the famed Rainier Beach High School, which has produced NBA talent such as Jamal Crawford and Dejounte Murray.

The 6-6 swingman has filled up the shot column to begin the season, having taken at least seven shots and played in 23 minutes in each of his last eight games. He recorded a career-high in points and rebounds against The Citadel on Nov. 23, going for 23 and 10 en route to posting his first career double-double. However, over the opening 10 games, he has shot just 34.8 percent from the field, including 62.1 percent from the free-throw stripe.

Highly sought after on the recruiting trail by Pac-12 competition such as Washington, Washington State, Utah and Colorado, as well as West Coast savants in Gonzaga, Cunliffe should have no shortage of options when it comes to accepting his transfer. For the Sun Devils, they lose their fifth-leading scorer from a team that has opened the year at 6-4 with maulings at the hands of Kentucky and Purdue to their record.

Coming off a vital non-conference win over San Diego State, Arizona State has three remaining games in non-conference play – including a matchup with No. 10 Creighton – before Pac-12 play begins on Dec. 30 against Stanford.

Hard pass for me. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Too many red flags to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    No schollies available, though
    Downs paid his way for a semester. Other's have come & paid as well (Jeremy Jones, etc.)
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Can he rebounds?