Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 176

Thread: NBA Finals

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    How can you root for that guy? He dishes out one cheap shot after another and has made multiple attempts at seriously injuring players. About as low as it gets in my book.
    The anti-SMC parrot continues to babble. Factor, explain to me what Delly did wrong in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGAcFqJZs18

    Dirty as it gets, right? While you're at it, care to defend your statement that Delly is an overrated player who is useless without McConnell now that he has started an NBA finals game, played 40+ minutes, held the NBA MVP to 0/8 shooting, and nailed the game winning free throws with 10 seconds left in OT? Or would you rather just stick with "F*** Delly"?

    Remember, don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda!

    If Pangos is going to sneak onto an NBA roster, he would benefit from watching some tape on Delly with the Cavs.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    You make a very, very compelling and well reasoned argument. I'm sure the game has changed drastically since those days, and you're right: I wasn't around for them.

    However, I still quibble with assessing one style as objectively better than the other. Different does not = worse.

    Again, we all tend to glorify the past and conveniently forget its faults; marketing was almost certainly not the only problem with the NBA of yesteryear. It was slower, less athletic, lower scoring.
    Actually, scoring was MUCH higher from the 60's through the 80's. Scores in the 120's were common. Today's players are a bit more athletic today due to extensive weight training. But nobody's more athletic than Dr J, Connie Hawkins (both could dunk from the foul line) or my personal all time favorite, the above-mentioned Kangaroo Kid.

    As to the game overall being slower, well, those were the days of the fast break and the outlet pass. Today's game is a plodding halfcourt game by comparison, largely due to the physical play that is allowed now, and the bulked up players who now dominate due to the pushing and shoving that's now allowed in the basketball/football hybrid game of today.

    On the college level, it's interesting to look at scores of NCAA title games. In the 15 games from 1964 and 1978, the winner scored in the 90's 5 times, and scored 76 or more in 12 of 15 games. Since UNLV hit a hundred in the title game in 1990, no team has reached 90 with the 3 pt shot.

    So my conclusion is that the game was played at a faster pace back then.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bkzag View Post
    No need to continue...as you say several teams play "TEAM Basketball;" however, it is still entertainment and not basketball, because it's all about making money. The "stars" are protected and get the calls or don't get called. What kind of a game would it be if James had two/three fouls in the first quarter...he would have to sit on the bench for a long period of time and this would make for poor TV ratings. I have seen both GS and Cleveland play this year and w/out Love and Irving, there is no way Cleveland should start close to GS. This is all about hype and James being the best there has ever been and how he can carry his team to the Championship. I don't buy it. I think the game would be much more interesting if they used FIBA rules as NBA rules are a facade IMO.

    So you've backtracked on your TEAM basketball statement? Surprised you did continue after all that backtracking.

    And you obviously missed the last game where James didn't get the calls. And the reason that Cleveland is playing with GS is due to the brilliance of James and the other role players are stepping up.

    And you should probably WATCH the games before making a determination on who should or shouldn't win. To insinuate that James is getting the calls, because the NBA wants to cement James' legacy is ridiculous. Watch the games. JR Smith got called for 3 critical fouls that hurt Cleveland. There was a horrible non-call against James that could have cost them the game until Delly stepped up. James had nothing to do with Delly playing great defense on Curry.

    James has been brilliant. He's the best I've watched since Bird, Magic and Jordan. It's a treat to watch him carry this team on his back. I doubt Cleveland will win, but it's fun to watch him try.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bkzag View Post
    I was brought up watching the Celtics and Lakers play in the NBA Championships back in the 60's. Watching perhaps three of the greatest players of all time Wilt Chamberlin, Oscar Robertson and Jerry West play basketball, when it was a game of finesse and not force. Where Oscar Robertson averaged a Triple Double for an entire season, where Wilt Chamberlin averaged 50pts per game for two seasons and because of him the foul lines were extended and the ball on a free throw MUST touch the rim, where TEAM Basketball was played by each team in the league. Where there were almost no excessively physical fouls made on players trying to score. Where fouls and traveling were called.

    The NBA has surely changed its philosophy on how the game should be played and called. Today there are bigger and stronger players but that doesn't mean the game is better...it is what the audience wants not how the game was intended to be played, because that is what fills the arenas.

    Shall I continue?

    Sure, continue with your, "Back in my day sonny, when we had to walk for 3 hours in the snow to go to school." arguments which are pointless. Different players, different game, different rules, different coaching.

    Chamberlain didn't have to play against two 7 footers every night. No Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Walton, etc every night either. Robertson wouldn't average close to a triple double in this era. The defense and players are too good. Every team has at least two 7 footers on their team these days. I grew up in the era of the Knicks (Reed), Celtics (Havlicek) and Trailblazers (Walton), but I don't lament about those days. I watch the new, brilliant players.

    Concerning fouls, players adapt to how the game is called. Who complains more about fouls, NCAA or NBA fans? It's a tie. Both whine and complain. And you forget, Chamberlain never fouled out of a single game, EVER. And that was when there were only 5 fouls per game.

    All I know is that this series is setting TV ratings records. You have the best player on the planet against the best shooter on the planet. It's fun to watch.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post
    The anti-SMC parrot continues to babble. Factor, explain to me what Delly did wrong in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGAcFqJZs18

    Dirty as it gets, right? While you're at it, care to defend your statement that Delly is an overrated player who is useless without McConnell now that he has started an NBA finals game, played 40+ minutes, held the NBA MVP to 0/8 shooting, and nailed the game winning free throws with 10 seconds left in OT? Or would you rather just stick with "F*** Delly"?

    Remember, don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda!

    If Pangos is going to sneak onto an NBA roster, he would benefit from watching some tape on Delly with the Cavs.
    +1

    I've found myself cheering for Cleveland because of Delly. He is representing the WCC well. He's the player you hate when your team is playing against him, but wish he was on your team, because he's a clutch player. Didn't St Marys play in the WCC Championship game every year he was there?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    May, very very impressed you still run with young ones, heck, that you even run at all. My osteo knees quit on me around 55. Greatest game, the one you describe. Growing up in Brooklyn we intentionally patterned our schoolyard games after the Holzman Knicks. Can't imagine what those games are like now.
    I'd rather play with guys my age but there just aren't many around. It's one and two pointers at my gym, so the outside shot keeps me viable to some extent. I can't get to the basket much any more, but I have a quick release and can get hot from the outside from time to time. And you can be slower than molasses but still set a screen and pass the ball effectively.

    My knees are better now than they were in my 30's (trashed them pretty bad with a decade of forestry contracting work, packing heavy loads on steep slopes) thanks to a decade of glucosamine, chondroitin, hyluronic acid and MSM, along with lots of green smoothies. Don't even take supplements any more, or wear the braces.

    As a sixers fan I hated the Knicks and Celtics back then. But I loved to watch them play.

    There was a wheelchair guy shooting around in my gym the other day who impressed the crap out of me. He'd get that chair moving as fast as he could from about 20 feet out with 3 or 4 quick pushes and hit a bank shot on the "run". If that's my future, so be it. But I can't imagine not playing.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Why do I feel a tinge of guilt being happy for Delly and actually find myself rooting for the Cavs because of him?
    You shouldn't. I think Delly has total respect for GU.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,461

    Default

    Delly with 10 points! He is something else!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Sizzling mechanics on defense and droppin em in from distance. SMC/WCC should be very proud of DOVA!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    Delly is one smart player!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,285

    Default

    he is feeling it in The Finals

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    Delly is at +18 one more than LeBron's +17 at this point in the game.

    He's scoring the second highest - 15.

    (More than Curry)

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    How can you root for that guy? He dishes out one cheap shot after another and has made multiple attempts at seriously injuring players. About as low as it gets in my book.
    You Sir, are saying very ignorant things. I would thrash you, but "roundup" has already done so. Good evening to you.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,285

    Default

    going to need him now. the genie is out of the bottle
    credit Kerr for getting Curry mismatches with the screening action

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,285

    Default

    incredible

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,285

    Default

    repeat

    incredible

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    WOW!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Since when is it not traveling to dive on the floor for the ball and slide 3 ft after you secure it?

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Since when is it not traveling to dive on the floor for the ball and slide 3 ft after you secure it?
    Traveling in the NBA?

    Delly is just unreal.

    There's the will to win. But, he's also adding zeros to his paycheck for the next few years, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Traveling in the NBA?

    Delly is just unreal.

    There's the will to win. But, he's also adding zeros to his paycheck for the next few years, too.
    That is funny Dixie. As soon as I hit send, I was laughing at myself for asking such a rhetorical, ridiculous question!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spokannnnnnnnnnne
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Since when is it not traveling to dive on the floor for the ball and slide 3 ft after you secure it?
    Since when is diving feet first into a player not a foul? LeBron took out curry on that play haha

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,022

    Default

    Delly looking good--- and making the WCC look good also.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Delly looking good--- and making the WCC look good also.
    He could beat Golden State 2 out of 3, but couldn't beat GU at a 1 out of 3 clip.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spokannnnnnnnnnne
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Curry is so sick.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,285

    Default

    the review system working well here

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,055

    Default

    So, now we know that some way, somehow, there is a signal or something that lets the refs know they need to come back and review a call. Because on that ball with Thompson touching it while out of bounds, they had determined to give it to Golden state and it was happening when all of a sudden the whistles blow to review it. The refs did not come up with that decision on their own.

    Proper call, though.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •