Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals

Default NBA Finals

Some very fine, highly contested NBA Finals are underway. Among the best opening games I've seen.. Fans of the game might want to tune in.

The first two games have been great, a real contest between Curry and James. What has been fun is seeing Delly play and be instrumental in the game.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

I can't say I watch NBA unless mavericks are on. Rest of it is not entertaining to me.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

what I see is shot selection taken by Clay and Curry that is too often desperate, forced, and off balance
    it helps me see the genius and discipline of Few
    they also let James crash into the defenders standing there with their hands up, it seems like they never call a charge.

Since I only watch zags ball, and almost never any other college teams (except when I know zags play them soon) leave aside NBA, that is my basis for comparison

Tough guys vs basketball players. Tied one to one.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Cavs have a chance if Steph keeps shooting 20% or less from 3. IMO, it's really that simple.

very entertaining..but hardly classic team BB....give me the Spurs any time....too much one on one, early shot clock heaves and Steph's really got to mature a bit with the dangling mouthpiece and looking to the sky after another self identified GREAT play of HIS.....what's up in the sky?; his whole family is in the stands..i prefer Klay's demeanor; like his dad..Jackson and VG are brutal...how Jax is on this series is beyond me......Breen a pro......still, yes, fun to watch.....thank god Zags don't play that way....

Why do I feel a tinge of guilt being happy for Delly and actually find myself rooting for the Cavs because of him?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

+1 --a bit of guilt--but nice to see him rep the WCC.

The whole sky thing for Curry is his Christian belief and thanking that maker for what he has been blessed with--nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    +1 --a bit of guilt--but nice to see him rep the WCC.

The whole sky thing for Curry is his Christian belief and thanking that maker for what he has been blessed with--nothing wrong with that.
    Ok, get that....still, he could tone down the SELF reverence....Delly is more than the WCC; he is Everyman, that's the attraction.....

The officials were terrible in the 4th quarter.

Every single time I've watched the Finals (which, admittedly, has been about 10% of each game), Delly has had a rash of turnovers or made bone head plays. Sounds like he's been doing well, however, I just haven't seen it.
    Go Zags!!!

I have really appreciated Delly working his tail off on D....and I have not the slightest trace of guilt. Enjoying the games....although the Cavs running the iso for James every time down the floor can get pretty tedious. Understandable, I suppose....but still. At least the overtimes/close finishes give me a small trace of the vicarious sports adreniline rush so severely lacking in the Zags off season.

Default Lots of reasons to root for DVD

Validates WCC, blue-collar effort, and reminds us how KP and GBJ were great in SMC games.

There are at least 4 players on the floor that at one time or another gave GU fits.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    There are at least 4 players on the floor that at one time or another gave GU fits.
    Delly
    Klay
    Steph
    Draymond

You can add Joe Harris if you include the GU Board members as the ones having a fit.
    Last edited by 23dpg; 06-08-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Delly
    Klay
    Steph
    Draymond

You can add Joe Harris is you include the GU Board members as the ones having a fit.
    I sure hope NBA types go back and look at how KP did against Delly's defense with a two bad feet.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Delly kept the MVP at 5 of 20. I still dont like his game but...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Ok, get that....still, he could tone down the SELF reverence....Delly is more than the WCC; he is Everyman, that's the attraction.....

I think his "Aussieness" adds to his appeal. Dellavedova did well in school and he's a smart, well mannered kid. He handles himself with dignity and appropriate modesty during interviews.

I agree that Steph is tarnishing his charisma with his pious gestures.

When the series started I was feeling a little nauseous about being a basketball fan who couldn't decide between two teams that I like, but it is relaxing to know that I'll be happy with either team winning.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Every single time I've watched the Finals (which, admittedly, has been about 10% of each game), Delly has had a rash of turnovers or made bone head plays. Sounds like he's been doing well, however, I just haven't seen it.
    he's been a pick busting physical pest. Held Rose to 1-6 in one playoff game, held Teague to 1-11 in another, then Curry last night he bugged big time. I expect Curry and Kerr to figure out how to get Curry a little more space but Delly is playing the kind of perimeter D that keys wins, especially in the Finals and against more difficult competition. Can he keep it up?

In my eyes, LeBron is arguably the greatest OVERALL basketball player that I've seen. If he takes the Cav's to a Title without Irving & Love there should be no doubt about his Legacy. Delly and Timofey Moscov have been much better than I supposd, and If J.R. Smith gets hot from outside?, it could be a much closer Series than many predicted.At any rate?, I'v enjoyed it immensely thus far.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The officials were terrible in the 4th quarter.
    I started a thread on Gen Basketball on the officiating alone.

I had no rooting interest at all. But, once I saw Lebron get both arms pulled down on a shot attempt, and saw Delly playing like his mother's life depended upon it, I've developed a rooting interest for the Cavs.

If the Cavs win, it will be the single greatest "individual" accomplishment an NBA player has ever accomplished - in terms of winning with no other star power around Lebron. I compare it to Syracuse with Carmelo Anthony, though I'm not the deepest basketball pool of knowledge.

Watching Delly play makes me wish that Kevin had a couple more inches and maybe a tiny bit more length. He'll get more strength - they all do. And, he's always been a better shooter than Delly. It does give me some hope for some of our guys b/c as great as Delly was/is, he was never heads above our guys.

And, yeah, it is very ugly basketball, but NBA finals that don't involve the Spurs always are.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post

I agree that Steph is tarnishing his charisma with his pious gestures.
    This, doesn't sound like anything I want to watch.

IMO, NBA is entertainment not basketball...the stars get the calls. The fans want to see their "stars" score and the refs (League) accommodates them. TEAM basketball went out with the 80's Lakers/Celtics...the only franchise that concentrates on TEAM work is San Antonio.
    The virtue I desire most is Humility and just when I think it's achieved, I have lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Delly
    Klay
    Steph
    Draymond

You can add Joe Harris if you include the GU Board members as the ones having a fit.
    BINGO! and with the free one in the middle you have a Bingo!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.