Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vols at the Battle in Seattle

Default Vols at the Battle in Seattle

Per this story:
    ATLANTA — New Tennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes said Tuesday night that the Vols are finalizing plans to play a neutral-site series with Gonzaga that will include a game in Nashville, Tenn.

Barnes said Tennessee is planning to travel to Seattle in December to take on the Bulldogs as part of their annual Battle in Seattle tournament, and the Zags will “return it back to Nashville.”

“We’re going to do that,” Barnes said during the Vols’ Big Orange Caravan stop at the College Football Hall of Fame in downtown Atlanta. “We’re working out the deal with Gonzaga. … Again, this year we’ll have to go there.

“And, again, (Gonzaga coach) Mark Few, who I have great respect for, and we’ve known each other. We’ve scrimmaged them every year that I was at Texas, once we were able to start scrimmaging. We’ve either met in Denver or Arizona. We’ve met somewhere and scrimmaged, and now that we’re further apart, we’re going to play.

“He has a tournament up there in Seattle — Battle in Seattle. I think it’s around (December) 20th. They’ll return it back to Nashville.”

Good game. Thanks for posting this new information!

Too bad they can't make it a double header. . .with another Washington school taking on a national program in the warm-up game. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Oh happy day!!! It's official, Zags are coming down to Nashville! I can't wait to see a bunch of Gonzaga fans down here for the game. Pre game at my house!
    Big Gulps huh?

First repeat opponent at the BIS?

Love it. 9 big name teams on OOC so far. Pitt, Bahamas, SMU (very good team that's why they're included) UCLA, Arizona, Tennessee, Washington state. All are BCS teams or a very good team. Nice work. I am excited about the schedule. Time to fill the cracks and the Bahamas opening roun game. Let's go
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Too bad they can't make it a double header. . .with another Washington school taking on a national program in the warm-up game. . .
    Who do you think Eastern could get, Reno?

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Probably not Indiana
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Probably not Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

You got me. I was thinking of WSU...

Good news! BIS here I come :-)

Sweeeeeeeeeeettt!

Is anyone else like me and still not overly excited for this opponent for BIS? Sure, it's a vast improvement from the teams we've played the last couple years. That said, I'm still longing for the days of UConn, AZ, etc... I KNOW scheduling is a tough deal and I'm probably just being picky, but as someone who goes to this game every year I still wouldn't call myself pumped about Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    Is anyone else like me and still not overly excited for this opponent for BIS? Sure, it's a vast improvement from the teams we've played the last couple years. That said, I'm still longing for the days of UConn, AZ, etc... I KNOW scheduling is a tough deal and I'm probably just being picky, but as someone who goes to this game every year I still wouldn't call myself pumped about Tennessee.
    Honestly neither am I gbnyba. But it does give us someone who has made a run at the tournament before and has done a great job of being highly rated to start each season. I see this as a good grade on 2016-17 schedule more than I would this year. The recruiting doesn't come nearly overnight but I do expect things to be good for Rocky Top in two years. The good about this years BIS is that we at least get a main brand team on the schedule. That's always good for publicity.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    Nope, you're not the only one. They are a BCS conference team but were quite mediocre as far as I know last year and I don't think expectations are significantly different for next year. They were fairly highly regarded the last time they appeared in Seattle for the BIS, but that was a long time ago, different coach (Pearl), different era. The opponents really haven't been much to get excited about for quite a while. K State was fairly good. It was a bit of an off year for Arizona when they appeared. I don't think Illinois was a great team when they were in the BIS, certainly nothing like their team that was a National runner up in '05. Was UConn the last really good team to appear as a BIS opponent?

So a little googling makes it appear that I was correct. UConn was ranked #2 at the time in 2008. Tennessee was #11 the year before. Since that '08 game, Illinois (#20) in 2010 has been the only ranked team. Missouri was #3 for the first game in '03. I went to every game from '03 thru '12 except for the 2nd year (UMass). I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.

Tennessee was 16-16 overall last year and only 7-11 in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.
    Please deliver Duke vs. Gonzaga annually to be played in my driveway hoop at a date and time that amuse me. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggin' it View Post
    Please deliver Duke vs. Gonzaga annually to be played in my driveway hoop at a date and time that amuse me. Good grief.
    Am I under any obligation to attend the game? The last 2 were horrible games even watching on TV, I'm glad I didn't shell out $ to watch it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    So a little googling makes it appear that I was correct. UConn was ranked #2 at the time in 2008. Tennessee was #11 the year before. Since that '08 game, Illinois (#20) in 2010 has been the only ranked team. Missouri was #3 for the first game in '03. I went to every game from '03 thru '12 except for the 2nd year (UMass). I've skipped the last 2 and might not go to this next one either. It's nice to get a chance to see a live GU game in the Seattle area, but I'm still gonna pick and choose based on opponent.
    I would die just to see Gonzaga vs NJIT to be played in St. Louis so I can finally go to just ONE game. JUST ONE!

Lol. I am not yelling at you btw, I am just telling you my opinion. Ill take any game one hour away from me, and I would go no matter the opponent.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I would die just to see Gonzaga vs NJIT to be played in St. Louis so I can finally go to just ONE game. JUST ONE!

Lol. I am not yelling at you btw, I am just telling you my opinion. Ill take any game one hour away from me, and I would go no matter the opponent.
    I hear you. But if they played a game in St. Louis against a good opponent 10 years in a row, and then started playing NJIT level teams, you might not be as excited about the opportunity.

I did just plunk down quite a bit of cash for 1st and 2nd round Tourney games at Key Arena in March, and was quite happy to be there rooting on the Zags.

The first time GU played Tenn at BIS was a great event. We ran into dozens of Tenn fans at the Market and near our hotel and then rode the monorail to Seattle Center sitting across from the parents of the then-current Tenn. star power forward.
    Will wait to see how Tenn is rated / ranked before making a purchase decision this year, but sounds like a much better opponent than the last two.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Will wait to see how Tenn is rated / ranked before making a purchase decision this year, but sounds like a much better opponent than the last two.

Go Bulldogs!
    Also, I think Gonzaga will be there. Buying your tickets to see "your" team based on the opponent seems backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggin' it View Post
    Also, I think Gonzaga will be there. Buying your tickets to see "your" team based on the opponent seems backwards.
    I understand your sentiment, but seeing GU play against A+++ opposition is pretty much my goal at this point. The Bahamas event looks to be pretty competitive, and I might save my money for that. But Seattle is sounding good as well.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Looking forward to seeing the Zags Saturday night. Mrs. RZ gave me an extended hall-pass for the weekend. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.