Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olynyk suspended one game next season

Default Olynyk suspended one game next season

Via @SportsCenter:

THIS JUST IN: NBA suspends J.R. Smith 2 games, Kelly Olynyk 1 game (next season) for their roles in incidents during Game 4 on Sunday.

Weak.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Such BS, are they going to suspend everyone a game who locks up an arm grabbing a rebound?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Such BS, are they going to suspend everyone a game who locks up an arm grabbing a rebound?
    That depends on the star status of the player that you lock horns with.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    That depends on the star status of the player that you lock horns with.
    This.

Love could have broken Kelly's arm in half and his position on a top team would render no penalty....maybe a $5,000 fine. He spends more on lunch.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

This has nothing to do with Olynyk and everything to do with ending the type of foul committed. From what I'm reading it's absolutely a "dirty" play, but it's also something that almost everyone does. Yes, it usually takes an important injury to a star for people to notice and that isn't necessarily fair.... but you can't deny you don't want players getting injured like that. Plus, one game in the NBA at the beginning of a season for a bench player is nothing compared to what the Cavs have to deal with in the next playoff series.

If the roles were reversed, you'd probably be a tad more harsh on the offending party.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I'd never believe that Kelly meant to seriously injure Love, on the other hand?, there's no doubt that the Celtics wanted Love on the Pines.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This.

Love could have broken Kelly's arm in half and his position on a top team would render no penalty....maybe a $5,000 fine. He spends more on lunch.
    Boston is a top team. Most people don't think he did it intentionally, and think he is just awkward enough to cause the injury incidentally. Love will probably think he did it intentionally no matter what. Same with some Cleveland fans. He'll be hated their always if they somehow lose to Chicago.

Love out for playoffs. That is a bummer.

sure looked intentional...KO's a good dude from all accounts, so I'm sure it was something that was coached. Hopefully this will motivate some change in how the game is played.
    Go Zags!!!

No more intentional that what Love did to him not more than 10 seconds before.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Good luck to KO. He is carrying the GU banner in the NBA right now.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'd guess that most people wouldn't know how to dislocate another person's arm if they were actively trying to. The same play happens in so many games at so many levels of play, this was that 1 in a million time where it turns into a bad injury. The problem I have with a suspension handed out to anyone for a play like this is that almost every season, you hear a player questioned about a dirty play (that they don't get a suspension for) and they tell the media they were trying to "send a message." So that's okay? A premeditated act is tolerated, but some freak accident can lead to a suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Maybe I'm naive, but I'd guess that most people wouldn't know how to dislocate another person's arm if they were actively trying to. The same play happens in so many games at so many levels of play, this was that 1 in a million time where it turns into a bad injury. The problem I have with a suspension handed out to anyone for a play like this is that almost every season, you hear a player questioned about a dirty play (that they don't get a suspension for) and they tell the media they were trying to "send a message." So that's okay? A premeditated act is tolerated, but some freak accident can lead to a suspension?
    That's what it is. It's not the play itself that stands out, it's the result in this case, a result I am sure wasn't intended.

We see it all the time in football, hockey, etc. If blood is drawn or a big injury results, the play can be just "typically" violent, but the result overshadows it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I hope he appeals and directs their attention to Love fouling him with the arm bar.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    If the roles were reversed, you'd probably be a tad more harsh on the offending party.
    you know it...the penalty to Kelly is deserving, imo Kelly knew the amount of pressure he was putting on Loves arm, in no way do I think he meant to dislocate anything but he had to know he was using excessive pressure

If the roles were reversed many a GU fans would think the samething
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I hope he appeals and directs their attention to Love fouling him with the arm bar.
    Lol...is what their response would be

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Lol...is what their response would be
    Excepting that, if he files a formal appeal, they can't just laugh. They have to take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Excepting that, if he files a formal appeal, they can't just laugh. They have to take it seriously.
    sure they do....should they? Not if Olynyks defense is "well, he was arm barring me sir. "

It's one game...again if this happened to Kelly many posters would be calling for Loves head

sure they do....should they? Not if Olynyks defense is "well, he was arm barring me sir. "

It's one game...again if this happened to Kelly many posters would be calling for Loves head
    Hey, Cleveland's overall play in that game should be considered before Kelly takes on any tarnish.

When I watched the extended video, Love and Kelly were battling under the basket. Love had Kelly's arm pinned with his, an obvious cheap shot with intent to injure. As the scrum moved out after the loose ball, Kelly's arms were up/out and Love arm barred him to keep him away. Kelly, in a legal move, lowered his arm and trapped Love's arm IN THE SAME POSITION THAT LOVE HAD TRAPPED KELLY'S. I did not see Kelly hold his right arm with his left, to ensure that the trap would keep Love's arm in position, as Kelly turned away.
    The video review would show that Love had intended to damage Kelly in the same manner that Kelly damaged Love. If arm bar and swimming is against the rules, it should be applied to both men equally. Just being injured does not change your own actions.

you know it...the penalty to Kelly is deserving, imo Kelly knew the amount of pressure he was putting on Loves arm, in no way do I think he meant to dislocate anything but he had to know he was using excessive pressure

If the roles were reversed many a GU fans would think the samething
    excessive pressure
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

[QUOTE=willandi;1116231] As I did not see Kelly hold his right arm with his left, to ensure that the trap would keep Love's arm in position, as Kelly turned away.

A still photo on the SI site very clearly shows Kelly's right arm clamped down AND clearly shows Kelly's left hand firmly holding Loves arm. The photo removes any doubt about it.

To me there is a pretty clear difference between the arm jostling and grappling that happens on a box out situation and what Kelly did. They are running after a loose ball, and when you are running and your arm gets grabbed like that it would seem that that should significantly up the chance of injury. I don't think there was any intent to injure, but it was pretty clumsy and reckless.

With regard to Cleveland also deserving punishment, Smith is missing two playoff games. Why Perkins was only fined is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    excessive pressure