Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Person Pronouns

Default First Person Pronouns

I was at a meeting of a non-profit board in Seattle last night when a friend came up to me and said "weren't our guys incredible?" I didn't know at first who he was referring to when he said "our." My friend is a Seattle establishment type: went to the UW, has been an adjunct professor at the UW law school, etc. When he next said "we played Duke better than Wisconsin did, I realized he was talking about "our" Zags. The rest of the conversation about the team included him saying things "we'll be just as good next year." "Other teams won't be able to handle "us" inside." "How good will "our" recruiting class be?"

This conversation was similar in tone to one I had a few weeks ago at the GU/NDSU NCAA game in Key Arena. I was talking during halftime with a member of the UW board of regents. She looked at an app on her smart phone, then said, "Our women beat George Washington!"

Plenty of room on the bandwagon for those wishing to step out of the darkness and into the light.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Love it. Just love it.

Funny ... I have often had an internal debate about whether it's appropriate to get proprietary when people with no direct affiliation with Gonzaga start using the "first person pronoun". As an alum from Prep (86'), GU (90') and GU Law (95') I feel I have earned the right to say we or us or our. In the end, I ultimately welcome anyone who wants to celebrate our Zags.
    A good friend of mine is a UW alum. He travels with me to Vegas every year for the WCC tournament and goes to every Battle in Seattle with me ... always cheering for Gonzaga. He often uses the "first person pronoun" when he talks about Gonzaga.
    I guess it would only bother me if the person claiming GU as our team was not a good emissary for the school and therefore gave others a bad impression about the University ... otherwise, I say climb on board, there's lot's of room on the bandwagon.

LOL, Their team sucks.

while reading your ' First Persons Pronouns ' Angelo .. the glow within me began way down deep .. slowly building up my spine like molten magma .. to fill my heart and spew forth lava-laughter all over my self .. i'll gloat .. ooops .. i mean ~ glow ~ all day.
    humanity is one family ... with one heart

I once heard about a study wherein they analyzed fan statements after wins and losses. Fans had a much higher likelihood of using first persons pronouns after a win than a loss.

"We dominated them inside."
    vs.
    "The Zags just couldn't get their defense going."

After dealing with a number of front running Duke fans at the office and down in Houston, I finally came up with a rejoinder: the only affiliation most Duke fans had with the university was through their Custodial Arts program.

The expectations for Coach K's successor will be impossible to fulfill.

I've always felt that you should use "we" and "us" unless you're actually a member of the team. I realize I'm in an extreme minority on that.

One Big Happy Zag Family!!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I've always felt that you should use "we" and "us" unless you're actually a member of the team. I realize I'm in an extreme minority on that.
    I'm with you in that minority.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Thanks Angelo for your post. It touched my heart too. Very heart-felt, and I'm going to glow too. Feels good. Gonzaga deserves every note of praise because this really was a special team. And they came together is such a beautiful way. The Best is still yet to come, and one day we'll be gloating over Gonzaga knocking Duke off. I hope it's next year.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    After dealing with a number of front running Duke fans at the office and down in Houston, I finally came up with a rejoinder: the only affiliation most Duke fans had with the university was through their Custodial Arts program.

The expectations for Coach K's successor will be impossible to fulfill.
    I have a friend who is a NYY fan, a Duke fan, and a Dallas Cowboys fan . And she is from Colorado...
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I have a friend who is a NYY fan, a Duke fan, and a Dallas Cowboys fan . And she is from Colorado...
    You should remind her that the Yankees haven't won in a decade, and the Cowboys? Lol

not being a GU grad, I try very hard to call the team the Zags and avoid that first person but catch myself saying we or us nevertheless after I've already posted things, especially in the game thread. don't wish to offend any of you GU grads and otherwise officially affiliated folks but these things happen.

That's a big switch! Winning does that. Amazing what the program has does for us and the university.

Agree with this but I still find myself doing it unintentionally. I will correct myself and then do it again a sentence later.

The Zags became Spokanes and much of Washingtons team when they started this run. Now as you drive through Spokane you see Zag gear, signs and license plate frames everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Agree with this but I still find myself doing it unintentionally. I will correct myself and then do it again a sentence later.
    Ditto.... but I have gotten better as time goes on.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

So what should you use if you are actually a member of the team?

I'm not. I buy merchandise (posters, clocks, banners, flags, autographed memorabilia) the extra sports package on directv, my wedding was done as a gonzaga wedding, my wedding ring is a gonzaga wedding ring. If there were no fans there would be no game. I can use "us, we and our all I want"
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    You're making this up, right? That's pretty funny, I wish I had thought of that - good joke.

Seriously, what kind of person????? Does she hope that Buffet wins at the local charity Bingo?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You're making this up, right? That's pretty funny, I wish I had thought of that - good joke.

Seriously, what kind of person????? Does she hope that Buffet wins at the local charity Bingo?
    I can tell you that I know someone who is a Red Sox, Duke, Miami Heat and Indianapolis Colts fan. She lives in the same town I do. And have as Long a I've known her.

Although my family I from Dallas I root for the Cowboys, mavericks, Stars, Atlanta Braves, Tennessee Football, Gonzaga basketball.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I'm not. I buy merchandise (posters, clocks, banners, flags, autographed memorabilia) the extra sports package on directv, my wedding was done as a gonzaga wedding, my wedding ring is a gonzaga wedding ring. If there were no fans there would be no game. I can use "us, we and our all I want"
    I kind of feel the same way. Ditto on the Zags gear, and sports package. Add in my Bulldog Club membership, my WBB season tickets, and trips to whatever games and events we can go to, and I think it's a "we" thing for us.

Especially when I look at my VISA bill this month after trips to Vegas, Seattle, and Houston in March.

ZaGranny
    Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaGranny View Post
    I kind of feel the same way. Ditto on the Zags gear, and sports package. Add in my Bulldog Club membership, my WBB season tickets, and trips to whatever games and events we can go to, and I think it's a "we" thing for us.

Especially when I look at my VISA bill this month after trips to Vegas, Seattle, and Houston in March.

ZaGranny
    If the zags came anywhere near me id buy tickets as well. I wish they would come back. That's the last thing on my bucket list

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Although I didn't get a Masters at GU until 1974, I've been taking classes here since about 1966, as nearly as I can remember. I figure I'm entitled to use first person when I talk about the team.