Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Person Pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    After dealing with a number of front running Duke fans at the office and down in Houston, I finally came up with a rejoinder: the only affiliation most Duke fans had with the university was through their Custodial Arts program.

The expectations for Coach K's successor will be impossible to fulfill.
    What the hell was up with all of those people with Texas ties rooting for Duke at the game (Romo, Bush, Whiten)?
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    not being a GU grad, I try very hard to call the team the Zags and avoid that first person but catch myself saying we or us nevertheless after I've already posted things, especially in the game thread. don't wish to offend any of you GU grads and otherwise officially affiliated folks but these things happen.
    I think that if you grew up living in Spokane loving the Zags, you have 100% as much of a right to use "we" and "us" as a GU student. A lot of GU students have always been fans, but there are also a lot that didn't care at all until they got into GU. There's nothing wrong with that, the more fans we have the better, I'm just saying that being enrolled at GU doesn't give you any more right to use a first person pronoun than someone who is a fan but never enrolled at GU. We're all fans just the same and can say "us" or "we" as much as we please.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I think that if you grew up living in Spokane loving the Zags, you have 100% as much of a right to use "we" and "us" as a GU student. A lot of GU students have always been fans, but there are also a lot that didn't care at all until they got into GU. There's nothing wrong with that, the more fans we have the better, I'm just saying that being enrolled at GU doesn't give you any more right to use a first person pronoun than someone who is a fan but never enrolled at GU. We're all fans just the same and can say "us" or "we" as much as we please.
    I consider myself a hardcore 12... but I don't use we or us with the Seahawks either. Just me. Don't see anything wrong with others using it... just a personal preference of mine.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Don't mind a little possessiveness -- everyone wants to be a part of a success story. The Zags have become a great one; some people on the east coast have not only learned to pronounce the name of the university, but also the city! A great salve to the sense of isolation and being overlooked one sometimes feels living in the Inland Empire. However, let's be honest here, winning has a lot to do with the identification. When I was at Gonzaga in the 60's, there was not a lot of use of first-person possessive pronouns about the basketball team. Nor were there many sell-out crowds in the then fairly new Kennedy Center. Now, for approaching two decades, an increasing number of people have felt a sense of pride about the Zags basketball program, whether their connection is strong or even non-existent except as fans. The Zags have bought a ton of positive national attention to the school, the city and the area. We should recognize and appreciate that. If in the process, they have won some fans from far and wide, let's say, "Welcome to the fun!" Many of the "subway alumni" have no connection to Notre Dame. The Yankees, the Cowboys, Duke, Syracuse, Trojan football, Bruins basketball, Wisconsin, Michigan State and many others have huge followings -- lovers and haters. Success does that. GU, Spokane and the Pacific Northwest should revel in the attention. Beats hell out of anonymity IMHO. It has been a great run, and a lot of fun. The best is yet to come.

Don't mind sharing it! Go Zags!

Hmmm... I wonder... has Spokane profited in any way due to the Zags ascending to their current status?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

The large increase in enrollment has brought additional $ into Spokane via $ for the campus buildout, students shopping, eating out and $ brought in by family and friends visiting the students.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder... has Spokane profited in any way due to the Zags ascending to their current status?
    I'm with LIZF and the Pontiff on this one.

Don't ever (okay ... "rarely") use "we" or "us" when talking (or writing) about our Zags.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The large increase in enrollment has brought additional $ into Spokane via $ for the campus buildout, students shopping, eating out and $ brought in by family and friends visiting the students.
    Yeah... it would be an interesting study.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Students rarely leave campus. I suppose zips and safe way might have seen a slight increase in sales.

Slightly different perspective on same theme. I work with a number of GU law school graduates who, until recently, only rarely join me in supporting GU BB during the season or NCAAs. They tend to support their undergrad schools, which are loser places like Wisconsin, or BYU or Arizona or Cal. But this year for the first time pretty much all of us - GU undergrads like me and GU law grads like my partners - joined together to celebrate GU's success. Except for the jerk with the undergrad degree from Wisconsin.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I try not to use the first person pronouns but have been known to mess up on occasion. I am a Zag, but not a current basketball team member.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    As a hotelier for the past 7 years, I've seen an increasing economic impact to properties in multiple areas of Spokane. Red Lion benefits because of it's affiliation with the WCC, and I imagine higher success rates for the Zags results in more travel to Spokane for those in other areas (I'm thinking of people such as ZaGranny). And Gonzaga graduation is now such a huge event that even out in Spokane Valley, the 2nd weekend in May is a chalk blackout date every year.

I'd be interested to see numbers to measure the economic impact of the university before and during this amazing run.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I've always felt that you should use "we" and "us" unless you're actually a member of the team. I realize I'm in an extreme minority on that.
    I have heard players and staff say to us in the stands and to all fans that we ARE part of the team. I went 7 years, graduated, and hope I can even give back a fraction of what Gonzaga gave me. I've used all the "personal pronouns" in any such Gonzaga circle I am in regardless of whether it is sports or not.

Would the Jesuits think the basketball team or Mark Few can't use the term "we" or "us" because they aren't the true and real original Zags? Luigi (St Aloysius) is the only real Zag if you want to get literal. But even he would be saddened by such sentiment. Are we really going to have this semantics thread again with more egocentric chest puffing statements with the gist of "I'm more of a true Zag than you are"? I'm a Zag, you're a Zag, we are Zags, wouldn't you like to be a Zag too? Take a class at Gonzaga, voila you are a Zag. Thats what Luigi and every single Jesuit will tell you. and I believe them.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

If the only people that were students and grads of Gonzaga were able to be fans of the Basketball teams, it would be a pretty small percentage of what constitutes the current fan base I would speculate.

Gonzaga basketball is now a brand and like Kleenex and Kodak are public domain in my view.

Yes you are special "Real Zags", but the body of Fandom if you will, is an entity of itself as well. You are very lucky to have attended a school that just happens to have an incredible basketball program. What is truly amazing is the number of people who have been smitten with Gonzaga Basketball that graduated elsewhere. I like ZagGranny fly the colors constantly and yes have the license plate frame and all the rest. My most cherished sports memorabilia is my white Zag hat with Dan Dickau's signature on the bill.

Please allow us to be lurkers within your honored domain without minimizing recognition of our support. Thanks
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!