Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vladimir Brodziansky

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    This is just my two cents! I just don't see this program changing the way that we recruit, period. Two reasons: 1. what they are doing Works. They will continue to bring in guys that they can develop and keep them for 4 years. This is what the entire program is built on. I love reading this board and getting tidbits of information about recruiting, player progress and some of your insights. What drives me absolutely bonkers is all the "he's going to the NBA, he's #18 on DE, blah, blah, blah.

Let's get the elephant out of the closet......we may have a kid, here and there, that makes it in the NBA and has a long successful career......we do not bring kids to the program that are NBA ready, stars in the making and I don't think that will ever change under this coaching trees tenure! Some of you will say, look at Shem...look at KW.... they are going to the League! I say Maybe....but I'm more willing to bet that both of them end up in Europe making a ton of money given the skill sets that they have. Inevitably, DS is going to be mentioned......again, Maybe. Didn't we all hear the same chatter about Shem when he was a Freshmen??? This whole fascination with GU guys being in the NBA does not define success for the program.

2. A tie in to my point above but going to the E8 this year and maybe even next year, if we are fortunate again to have another shot at the FF, is not going to shift the perception of the Top 50 recruits away from UK, KU, Ariz, etc. and to Gonzaga. Again, we May get a top 50 recruit here and there. We are not going to EVER have a roster full of McD AA. People, look at how far this program has come!!!! I still get people asking me where GoneZaga is? or "Why are you a Georgia or Georgetown fan"? comments. The Inland Empire isn't the end of the earth for elite college prospects.....but you can see it from there.

All of this is fine by me and I'm just enjoying the ride.....and when we make a FF and I'm sitting courtside, I will be 100% satisfied and know that I can die in peace.

btw, we are going to be better next year than we were this year......book it!
    I am not really sure what this means, but I have seen Gonzaga evolve and their recruiting has changed so much over just the past 5 years its almost insane. If you don't evolve your recruiting you will sink. We haven't sunk yet.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Perhaps as a rule 'Born, but I thought Batista did all right - I guess it really depends on the kid.
    The Zags would NOT have made their 1st NCAA Tourney in '95 without Tacoma CC transfer John Rillie.

First impression of this kid? Not thrilled that he has already played a season at the CC level, but he's still young, so not a huge problem. Definitely needs some work on his mechanics, a bit gangly and awkward. Also, he didn't always use the right finishing move, but seemed to get away with it because of the competition.

I liked the fact that he actually went to the rim and threw it down, but he still seemed a bit finessed on his dunks. Would like to see a bit more forcefulness. All in all, you really can't worry too much about players that are underweight or overweight. That's why this program has Travis Knight. Helping players physically development and gain some comfort, in terms of coordination and technical ability, is not easy...but one of the great things this program offers that many don't.

Can shoot, high post, low post, has a nice touch around the rim, and even drove a little. I like his post-to-fade away move. A bit Nowitzki-esque. If the program is offering this kid, I trust it. Granted, we have 4 schollies, but still. We are beyond bringing in clunkers. I wonder if this is RS-type of project, or a trial-by-fire kind of situation?

Is it just me, or does it appear that the video is from his HS years in Slovakia? I think he's at least a year older and has had a year of strengthening against JC players since then. I liked his propensity to get to the rim and throw it down, & he has a nice fall-away jumper. Reminded me of a young Micah Downs. I'd take one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    The Zags would NOT have made their 1st NCAA Tourney in '95 without Tacoma CC transfer John Rillie.
    Stew Morrill
    Bill Dunlap (Hon. Mention All-American)
    Lorenzo Rollins
    Kyle Dixon
    Abdullahi Kuso

All pretty good players who came the JC route.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    First impression of this kid? Not thrilled that he has already played a season at the CC level, but he's still young, so not a huge problem. Definitely needs some work on his mechanics, a bit gangly and awkward. Also, he didn't always use the right finishing move, but seemed to get away with it because of the competition.

I liked the fact that he actually went to the rim and threw it down, but he still seemed a bit finessed on his dunks. Would like to see a bit more forcefulness. All in all, you really can't worry too much about players that are underweight or overweight. That's why this program has Travis Knight. Helping players physically development and gain some comfort, in terms of coordination and technical ability, is not easy...but one of the great things this program offers that many don't.Can shoot, high post, low post, has a nice touch around the rim, and even drove a little. I like his post-to-fade away move. A bit Nowitzki-esque. If the program is offering this kid, I trust it. Granted, we have 4 schollies, but still. We are beyond bringing in clunkers. I wonder if this is RS-type of project, or a trial-by-fire kind of situation?
    Kind of reminds me of Kelly's highschool tapes. Kelly was so extreamly skinny, had some nice skills but was just really the epitome of gangly and awkward when he got to GU. I like his skill set, I am all for a red shirt with
    Travis to work on strength and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by robertperryhere View Post
    @MDABE80 That is what I thought one of my trusted sources told me at first. I went back to them and later found out there was some miscommunication. They thought Wiltjer was leaving for sure. The problem was that I could not verify what my source said with other sources. I thought I could trust them since they never let me down before. I mean, they told me Karnowski was staying a week ago. I quickly learned that I need to do some fact-checking and have multiple sources tell me something before I go with it. With all of the feedback I got, I hope to learn from this mistake. I sincerely apologize for not using appropriate journalistic methods before I broke the initial tweet about Wiltjer. I led people in the wrong direction, and it is something I still regret. I am sorry it caused such a commotion.
    Per Donald Trump, "you're fired!" Lol J/K

Why would this be an issue? He still has 4yrs to play 3yrs. That's more than you are going to get from a Senior transfer or JC/Undergrad transfer is most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post

I liked the fact that he actually went to the rim and threw it down, but he still seemed a bit finessed on his dunks. Would like to see a bit more forcefulness. All in all, you really can't worry too much about players that are underweight or overweight. That's why this program has Travis Knight. Helping players physically development and gain some comfort, in terms of coordination and technical ability, is not easy...but one of the great things this program offers that many don't.

Can shoot, high post, low post, has a nice touch around the rim, and even drove a little. I like his post-to-fade away move. A bit Nowitzki-esque. If the program is offering this kid, I trust it. Granted, we have 4 schollies, but still. We are beyond bringing in clunkers. I wonder if this is RS-type of project, or a trial-by-fire kind of situation?
    Why can't he just be a guy that contributes solid minutes off the bench..there is value to that. Not every recruit has to become an All American...good lord!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    The problem is I have trouble seeing him as a four on an elite 8 team, and I don't see him as a three. At this point it's just an offer and as fans we don't know all the various strings that make the GU web of recruiting interesting and (historically) successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Kind of reminds me of Kelly's highschool tapes. Kelly was so extreamly skinny, had some nice skills but was just really the epitome of gangly and awkward when he got to GU. I like his skill set, I am all for a red shirt with
    Travis to work on strength and balance.
    Obviously, this is just one video, and you can't really do much more than evaluate within the context of the video. I wish there was more tape, but he was at a CC that probably wasn't doing personalized highlight reels. Also, they have to continue building and maintaining that European pipeline. Nolan Narain isn't a sure thing, but we were in the mix early enough that an Edwards/Collins/Narain front is a strong possibility, at this point. Brodziansky is a very well-mitigated risk in that scenario.

Looked for some stats---2013-2014 played in the U-20 B European Championships for Slovakia in 8 games averaged 20 mins 11.5 pts and 5.4 boards --shot 75% from the line and 60% from the floor
    2012-2013 Euro Qualifier 8 games 35 mins averaged 13 points and 11.5 boards with 3 blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Looked for some stats---2013-2014 played in the U-20 B European Championships for Slovakia in 8 games averaged 20 mins 11.5 pts and 5.4 boards --shot 75% from the line and 60% from the floor
    2012-2013 Euro Qualifier 8 games 35 mins averaged 13 points and 11.5 boards with 3 blocks
    I wonder if he was just under the radar or if he had bad grades or some other academic qualification issue, thus CC?

Can't have too many bigs...
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I wonder if he was just under the radar or if he had bad grades or some other academic qualification issue, thus CC?

Can't have too many bigs...
    My guess, and it's just a guess (but premised on the fact he is now listed as a qualifier), is that the NCAA clearinghouse did not give approval to his academics in time for him to begin a school year on scholarship at a D1 school, hence the JC route.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Billfish'80 View Post
    Is it just me, or does it appear that the video is from his HS years in Slovakia? I think he's at least a year older and has had a year of strengthening against JC players since then. I liked his propensity to get to the rim and throw it down, & he has a nice fall-away jumper. Reminded me of a young Micah Downs. I'd take one of those.
    Canary Islands; it's one of, if not the top international prep basketball academies in the world

Don't forget JP Bautista.....

Regarding the kid/player we're talking about. The starting point is that this kid can shoot. Not everyone can, and few can shoot the fall away jumper like he can. Wait until he redshirts a year and see who he becomes.....
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Obviously Kyle Wiltjer is a stud, but I would compare this kid to a poor man's Kyle Wiltjer. That's not a criticism, either. While his shooting probably isn't up to par, at that stage in his career, his back to the basket game is probably better than Kyle's was (at that stage). I don't mind the offer.

IRA!

Okay, maybe not the best example, but it was fun to watch him dunk.

Not sure if anyone else thought of this when they saw the guy but I immediately jumped to Frank Kaminsky. Frank Kaminsky played 7 minutes his freshman year and 10 minutes his sophomore year. His senior year? He wins national player of the year. I'm obviously not saying this guy is going to be a national player of the year but there is value in developmental players. The fact that he can shoot is a plus that many people never learn. Below is Kaminsky in high school, pretty similar frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTPyGRRbW8

He looks good from the video. Needs some development. He won't be the only one coming our way.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Stew Morrill
    Bill Dunlap (Hon. Mention All-American)
    Lorenzo Rollins
    Kyle Dixon
    Abdullahi Kuso

All pretty good players who came the JC route.
    Our "list" of successful JC transfers for Gonzaga would not be complete w/out a shout-out to Marquise Carter, who was named WCC newcomer of the year, as well as MVP of the WCC Tourney. He was asked during his last year to sort of back up Bell and Pangos, helping to set them up as the future cornerstone of our back-court, while being asked to take a back seat for himself. He did his job admirably.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Or won three games in March Madness '99 without Yakima Valley CC transfer Quentin Hall.

Wasn't Tony Skinner a JC? And Quentin Hall?

It's a broad generalization, but I think with the exponential increase in transfers from 4 year schools, and in particular the fairly recently added phenomena of the 5th year Sr. immediately eligible grad student transfer, recruiting from the JC ranks is nowhere near as big of a part of college bball as it used to be. You can still find some gems though. Gary Payton's kid was a revelation at Oregon St. last year. Delon Wright had 2 very good years at Utah after going the JC route.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyzaggy View Post
    He was asked during his last year to sort of back up Bell and Pangos, helping to set them up as the future cornerstone of our back-court, while being asked to take a back seat for himself. He did his job admirably.
    That's not quite how I remember it. He was the starter to begin the season but played himself out of the job and wasn't a significant contributor as the season progressed. I don't know what happened, but he wasn't nearly the same player during his Sr. year as he was the last half of his Jr. year.

Not sure if it should even be brought up, but Guy Landry-Edi had a few good games during his Jr. year at GU and seemed to have plenty of potential. His Sr. year...he fell off a cliff. Or into a doghouse.

To this day the smoothest Zag guard I've ever seen handling the ball was JC Transfer (and Philadelphia 76er draftee*) Kenny Tyler. KT could play ...

*Kenny was also drafted by the ABA.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ